Status
Not open for further replies.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Apparently my wife got swindled into buying a POS Toyota from some woman who, if I met her in person, would refer to her by a term that rhymes with the word "runt."

Anyways, we've been bringing the car into a local Toyota dealership for service, and recently it's been having issues upon issues. The most recent issue has me causing for some concern as to if we're getting f-ed by them.

I'll preface this by saying that I know VERY little about cars and I don't have the most recent receipts/work orders in front of me. Apparently there was some sort of fluid leak that they found when changing the oil, and we paid for that and left. A few days later my wife went out driving and the check engine light went on and the car drove like crap. Apparently that was from a wrong type of spark plug being installed when it was owned by the "runt" woman. When they replaced the plug, they found out that other errors were being generated, stemming from 2 oxygen sensors getting damaged during the leak (apparently.) One got damaged while one got killed. AND, apparently these things are in some sort of "module" that can be real bitches to deal with, and if the sensors don't come out easily, it requires a whole new module itself, which pushes the time and costs several hours and several hundred dollars on the side of uncomfortable. They're saying that the replacement of two modules and two oxygen sensors will be upwards of $1,200 (not counting labor costs).

Does this sound like they're trying to milk us for money, or is this just the unfortunate case of dealing with a hurting car? I can provide more information as necessary.

Sounds like you have a hurting car, and not because it's a Toyota. That could be for any number of reasons, and incompetent mechanics could be high on the list. Others might include postponed regular service, incompetent DIY'ers, use of non-approved parts, damage from accidents or acts of (insert preferred deity), etc. When you look at recent customer satisfaction surveys, Toyotas are almost always near the top, and there has to be a good reason Camrys and other Toyota models have been at or near top selling cars for many years in a row.

You need a second opinion, preferably from another Toyota dealer or a mechanic with whom you have built a relationship and trust, but it might make more sense to trade it and move on. If you trade for a used car, get a CarFax report on it and have it checked by an independent mechaniic before you commit to it...

I have to second everything bhelms has said, I've never known of a bad Toyota and having worked at a Toyota dealership they really are bullet proof so long as you take care of them and follow the recommended maintenance schedule which young people and clueless people and who gives a fudge people and far to many women fail to follow which is how I bought a mazda for $100 and put in an engine for $400 and sold it for $1,500.

Btw, Toyota's will get upwards of a million miles just like Volvo's and a few other European manufacturers cars do but it really does depend on whether you take care of it or not.

As to the question about the sensors and modules without seeing where the module(s) are at and knowing whether or not the sensors are in the exhaust or elsewhere its hard to say. If its in the exhaust then it can be pricey if your in the rust belt, if its in the engine then your looking at a partial tear down depending on where and that does add up.

Actually, it looks like the dealership is taking pity on us (and sensing the growing anger in my wife's voice with each phone call,) and said that they will replace the dead oxygen sensor free of charge, saving us probably upwards of $400. They kept the car overnight to drive it a little though to make sure that everything is ok so we're not having a repeat performance from before. Thing is, if it turns out that more work needs to be done, THAT work will likely not be free.

I find if a car is more than a few years old, the dealership has no better clue than an independent mechanic. Plus, the dealership is nearly always overpriced.

I'd find a good independent mechanic in your area. At least get a second opinion before spending big bucks.

Car Talk | Mechanics Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)