Carrier IQ Android OEM tracking software... logs your every move... and not happy about XDA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
xda-developers member threatened with lawsuit for exposing Android OEM tracking software | The Verge

If you've been following the Android hacking scene lately, you might have heard about some scary-sounding software called Carrier IQ — it's loaded up at the kernel level on devices by HTC, Samsung, and others, and creates detailed logs of everything that happens on a phone without user intervention or control. That's bad enough, but now Carrier IQ is going after xda member Trevor Eckhart (TrevE), the security researcher who discovered it. The company sent an incredibly aggressive cease-and-desist letter to him last week, claiming that he was infringing the copyright in the publicly-available training materials he reposted on his site and demanding that he replace his post with a full retraction and issue the same retraction as a press release. That's a little intense, even for a company that feels wronged — but it's a particularly bad move for a company that needs to reassure people it's not spying on them.

Every phone maker I am sure is taking part in this...I am 100% sure this isnt limited to android...all though it isnt labeled carrier iq on apple, or windows or blackberry. What scares me is the phones that are locked down and you cant see what they are doing..behind closed doors scares me.

Carrier IQ has stock clients for Android, Blackberry, and Nokia (s60).

The XDA researcher was smart to get EFF to represent him. They attacked back with a vengeance.

Some fog clearing on this latest Big Brother attempt.
It might be not them (CarrierIQ) trying to play nice with the hacking community.
It could well be more of an attempt to save their business kind of thing.
At least this impression can one get after reading this.
...I decided to randomly search a bit on Google about data collection acts, laws, and such, and I came across something called PIPEDA Act in Canada, the ECHR in Europe, and NPP in Australia. All of these basically encompass one rule (and of course, these are my own words): if you have no legal businesses with data collection, more than likely you cannot collect it. The NPP goes a few steps further and state that the user MUST know what is being collected, by whom, and who it is being shared with.

Diogen.

is it getting any notice outside of the geek/enthusiast community?

This isn't a flippant question. i would hazard a guess that few people know about this.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Few people know about it. BUT it is making the tech blog rounds.

Agreed. Few people know about it. BUT it is making the tech blog rounds.
Who reads those sites though ? Just geeks... :D When it's reported on Yahoo! News or CNN or people start posting about it in status updates on Facebook (I can only imagine the amount of misinformation !!), then the carriers will go into damage-control mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)