Cascading Switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grover

Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Can a 22 Khz switch be cascaded in to a Diseqc switch using a Nexus, or can you only do that in a receiver?

The Nexus will work fine with both types of switch on the same line as long as you're not using a long cable run or have a universal switching LNB.

Cascade said:
The Nexus will work fine with both types of switch on the same line as long as you're not using a long cable run or have a universal switching LNB.
Cascade,
Thanks for your input.
What is meant by a "long run" ? I have heard that term many times, but defined very few. 50 feet? 75 feet? 100 feet?
I have heard that a Diseqc switch should be very close to the receiver/card.
But I can't recall hearing about 22 Kh switches having "short run" requirements also.
Should 22 Khz also have short runs also?

Are there good brands and "cheap/bad" brands, similar to the Diseqc switches?

I guess a long run would be around 150ft.
The Diseqc switch should be as close to your card as possible which isn't always that easy if you have a positioner. Saying that, the only problem I've had with my Diseqc positioner is that when I hit a strong bird with a high signal it takes a couple of tries to get the motor to move. My theory is that the transmission line (Co-ax) is saturated with the sig from the LNB and the motor can't "hear" the Diseqc commands.
As for 22KHz switches I have no clue, I've never used one.

I guess there are good and bad brands of switch although I imagine 80% are made by the same OEM. I bought mine from PSB and it works as it should, so I guess you should go with a retailer you can trust over brandname.

This message was sponsored by PSB Satellite.
(Cue cheesy muzak)
" For prices that are hard to beat, you won't go wrong with the guy called Pete."

Ugh, I feel so dirty....

Cascade said:

This message was sponsored by PSB Satellite.
(Cue cheesy muzak)
" For prices that are hard to beat, you won't go wrong with the guy called Pete."

Ugh, I feel so dirty....

That was funny!

I have a 4X1 switch, but its right by the dish (DMSI model) and it works fine..got about a 50' run to the receievr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)