Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm warming to the color. I recognized the 1957 Chevy Bel Air in it. :p

BTW, the sale seems to be over.

What a classic! I see online where one just sold for around $25,000 - a frame up restoration.

I've got a batch of beans going now. This time, I'm trying Goya Red Kidney beans (not small red beans) as they look about right and are easier to find than Camellia. And I'm using smoked neck bones for flavor instead of smoked ham hocks.

Used that red Stauber DO for some spaghetti sauce yesterday. First use. Really cooked up well, even though the metal is thinner than the usual cast iron stuff. And so easy to clean!

I must say, it was the best batch of beans I've ever made. Almost all the meat just fell off the neck bones and gave great flavor, and made it easy to remove the bones. Worth the extra 30 cents per pound. I think I'll use neck bones in the future, when they're available.

BTW, the half teaspoon of epazote is per serving, not the whole pot.

QUESTION:
For cooking on a stove (as opposed to a campfire), has anyone noticed any difference in performance between the thinner and thicker walled cast iron? I know to stick to the brand names- have seen some pretty rough finished cheap Chinese made stuff. The porcelain stuff seems to be a bit thinner, but I've noticed some uncoated cast iron comes in different thicknesses.

I must say, it was the best batch of beans I've ever made. Almost all the meat just fell off the neck bones and gave great flavor, and made it easy to remove the bones. Worth the extra 30 cents per pound. I think I'll use neck bones in the future, when they're available.

BTW, the half teaspoon of epazote is per serving, not the whole pot.

QUESTION:
For cooking on a stove (as opposed to a campfire), has anyone noticed any difference in performance between the thinner and thicker walled cast iron? I know to stick to the brand names- have seen some pretty rough finished cheap Chinese made stuff. The porcelain stuff seems to be a bit thinner, but I've noticed some uncoated cast iron comes in different thicknesses.

Never noticed. All I use is Lodge CI pans. I'd imagine their wall thickness is standard.

Best Rib-Eye Recipe Ever

Grilled up some Rib-Eye's on my 12" Lodge Cast Iron on Sunday.

For those of you with a Trader Joe's nearby, they have a phenomenal deal going on right now. $5.99/lb Boneless Rib-Eyes! They're cut at a little less than a pound each. Best $5 steak I've ever had....

This recipe and cooking method is super easy and produces perfect results every time. It's my favorite way to cook Rib-Eyes.....

Directions:

• Drizzle a bit of oil and season steaks with salt & pepper (both sides).
  • Let steaks come to room temperture. Take out of fridge for about 30 minutes before cooking.
  • Put cast iron pan in oven and turn to 500°F.
  • When heated, take pan out of oven and place over cook-top at a high temperture.
  • Immediately place steaks in pan and sear each side for 30 seconds.
  • Place pan back in oven (@ 500°F) for 4 minutes. (Flip once halfway through, so each side is cooked for 2 minutes).
  • Take steaks out of pan and let cool for apx. 2 minutes before cutting.
I also accompanied this meal with some twice baked potatoes and grilled corn-on-the-cobb. Took the silks off and soaked for 30 minutes in water. I also pulled back the husks, buttered and seasoned before grilling. I grilled them for apx. 25 minutes over medium heat.

See attached pics....

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 216
Time to drag up an old thread.

I did a "Mountainman Breakfast" for a Dutch oven class this past weekend. Came out as expected. Fried-up 1 lb. ea. bacon and sausage in the uncovered oven, drained and removed. Then fried-up 2 lbs. cubed raw potatoes (skins on) using vegetable oil instead of the animal grease per the recipe. Spread the taters evenly over the bottom, about 1" thick. Added sliced-up green and red pepper (1 ea., lg.), sweet onion (1 lg.), fresh mushrooms (8 oz.), and several hot peppers (banana, jalepeno, chili) to suit., added-back the meat, poured-in eggs (1 doz., beat with some milk and seasonings including cracked pepper and "Jane's Crazy Mixed-up Salt"), and covered the top with shredded jack cheese. Put the oven back in the fire over a low heat, placed the lid on it and covered that with coals, then baked for about 20 mins. until the eggs were cooked and the cheese was beginning to brown. Served hot...in 2 interpretations! Fed about 10 with some leftovers. (You can pre-cook the vegetables but I like them a bit "crisp" so they went in raw.)

"Happy campers" all around...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts