Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking

Some limited experience here, all from scouts. Couple of thoughts:

1) Any new oven has to be seasoned before you can cook in it. Plenty of instructions available on line. It amounts to getting any manufacturing oils off the cooking surface and replacing them with edible oils. The well-conditioned oven should have a brownish cast to it, but not from rust !! But failure to provide, then maintain a proper cooking surface will indeed result in a surface that rusts easily in storage. Once cleaned, I use bacon grease for interim conditioning. Spread it on liberally then bake the whole thing in an oven at about 200 deg.F for a couple of hours, then wipe off the residual. I then wrap it in newspapers and store it in a dry area until the next event.

2) Once seasoned, a good way to clean it out is to scrape it with a steel spatula to break out all the chunks, then "scrub" it with balled-up aluminum foil. (Save foil from previous events for this purpose, i.e., recycle!) NEVER use water other than what's called for in a recipe, and as others mentioned, never use soap!

3) Bury it in coals, more or less to develop the temperature and distribution you need for the recipe. I always use real wood vs. charcoal. Pays to have a small fire to the side to provide a continuous supply of coals.

4) There's a special "hook" tool for opening the lid or lifting it by the handle when hot. Get one!

5) There will always be a small (or more!) amount of "Boy Scout pepper" added by the process (ash!) when the lid is opened. Consider it a good source of cellulose (fiber!)...

6) When cooking baked goods like rolls, etc., use an upside-down pie tin to hold the stuff off the bottom, which otherwise will probably burn.

7) Google for recipes. Tons of possibilities. My personal list is limited but I have seen amazing stuff done in competitions, for which Scouts are famous...!

Some limited experience here, all from scouts. Couple of thoughts:

1) Any new oven has to be seasoned before you can cook in it. Plenty of instructions available on line. It amounts to getting any manufacturing oils off the cooking surface and replacing them with edible oils. The well-conditioned oven should have a brownish cast to it, but not from rust !! But failure to provide, then maintain a proper cooking surface will indeed result in a surface that rusts easily in storage. Once cleaned, I use bacon grease for interim conditioning. Spread it on liberally then bake the whole thing in an oven at about 200 deg.F for a couple of hours, then wipe off the residual. I then wrap it in newspapers and store it in a dry area until the next event.

2) Once seasoned, a good way to clean it out is to scrape it with a steel spatula to break out all the chunks, then "scrub" it with balled-up aluminum foil. (Save foil from previous events for this purpose, i.e., recycle!) NEVER use water other than what's called for in a recipe, and as others mentioned, never use soap!

3) Bury it in coals, more or less to develop the temperature and distribution you need for the recipe. I always use real wood vs. charcoal. Pays to have a small fire to the side to provide a continuous supply of coals.

4) There's a special "hook" tool for opening the lid or lifting it by the handle when hot. Get one!

5) There will always be a small (or more!) amount of "Boy Scout pepper" added by the process (ash!) when the lid is opened. Consider it a good source of cellulose (fiber!)...

6) When cooking baked goods like rolls, etc., use an upside-down pie tin to hold the stuff off the bottom, which otherwise will probably burn.

7) Google for recipes. Tons of possibilities. My personal list is limited but I have seen amazing stuff done in competitions, for which Scouts are famous...!

I disagree with the "never use water" to clean tip. Everything I've read including directions straight from the Manufacture of Cast Iron Pans (Lodge), says it's ok to use water, but no soap. Using water is ok, just as long as you dry it as soon as you're done cleaning. I usually stick mine in a 200°F oven upside down just after washing, to ensure it dries good.

cast-iron camp style dutch oven

Some of you may know me from the Outdoor Smoker Thread. For those who need a briefing, I just recently purchased the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and have been enjoying smoked meats for about a month now. The WSM smoker is quite versatile and I've had several very enjoyable main courses, but I think it's about time to add to the outdoor cooking arsenal.....

My next venture is to try a cast-iron camp style dutch oven such as this one:

%7BB9FD289A-1D68-424F-B7D1-B0CC791FBA85%7D_L10CO3.jpg

I envision making stews, soups, chilis, breads, cobblers, breakfast casseroles and more in them. All while enjoying the great outdoors!

I got the inspiration after watching an episode of "Good Eats" last night. The topic as you may have guessed was Dutch Oven Cooking. Alton Brown made a scrumptious looking dish by cooking in a dutch oven over charcoal briquettes. With a lot of outdoor dutch oven recipes, it also calls for charcoal briquettes to be placed on-top of the lid as well. This flat, flanged style lid design and legs on the bottom are made for this process in mind.

Do any of you have any experience with Dutch Oven Outdoor Cooking? I'm curious to hear your experiences. I already have a 12" Lodge skillet, but am wondering which size I should start off with for the dutch oven? What size dutch oven are most recipes based on using?
Yes they are great to use for cooking a meal of any kind. I suggest that when you buy one get the one that you are showing on this thread. It can be set on a bed of coals and the lid can also have a layer of coals put on top so it cooks top to bottom. Some have rounded lid tops, don't get them the coals won't stay on. I use to do history reenactment. One of the recipes that we would cook is take some onions that have been sautéed in butter. Mix in some cooked fish. Get that mixed up with the onions then pour in some corn meal mush. Stir till all is hot. Taste great!
Tom

:D

The collection grows

I thought I'd show a different approach to cast iron cooking with my variety of "Dutch Ovens." BTW, I once owned a cast iron skillet, but never used it, and it seems to have wandered away. My stuff is strictly indoors use only, never over coals.

First, on the left, is my old faithful, traditional, cast iron pot. I'm from New Orleans, so I have been known to make red beans and rice every now and then. ;) This is for the beans, and it was given to me by my oldest sister. I guess it's got around 3 decades of use.

Next is this beautiful Staub I came across, with a porcelain exterior and a non-stick interior. Odd, but I'll give it a whirl. The actual color is a deeper red. Gorgeous (actually, we say "gorgamus"), just sitting on the shelf. The next two are porcelain coated, inside and out. All are easy clean. No need to season the last 3.

Most of our other cookware is stainless steel Le Creuset with the aluminum slugs in the bottom and sidewalls. Makes them cook almost like cast iron!

So- anybody else using coated cast iron?

Attachments

• Bean pot.JPG
    Bean pot.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Staub angle.JPG
    Staub angle.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 239
  • Le Creuset blue oval.JPG
    Le Creuset blue oval.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 252
  • Lodge blue round.JPG
    Lodge blue round.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Well, I just finished a batch of shrimp, crab & oyster gumbo in the old cast iron dutch oven. Came out pretty good- better tomorrow. Needs tabasco.

I thought I'd show a different approach to cast iron cooking with my variety of "Dutch Ovens." BTW, I once owned a cast iron skillet, but never used it, and it seems to have wandered away. My stuff is strictly indoors use only, never over coals.

First, on the left, is my old faithful, traditional, cast iron pot. I'm from New Orleans, so I have been known to make red beans and rice every now and then. ;) This is for the beans, and it was given to me by my oldest sister. I guess it's got around 3 decades of use.

Next is this beautiful Staub I came across, with a porcelain exterior and a non-stick interior. Odd, but I'll give it a whirl. The actual color is a deeper red. Gorgeous (actually, we say "gorgamus"), just sitting on the shelf. The next two are porcelain coated, inside and out. All are easy clean. No need to season the last 3.

Most of our other cookware is stainless steel Le Creuset with the aluminum slugs in the bottom and sidewalls. Makes them cook almost like cast iron!

I have almost 20 enameled cast iron Le Creuset pieces. I couldn't imagine cooking without them.

In fact, anyone looking to start their collection, I recommend the 7 1/4 quart dutch oven. The Carribean Blue one currently on sale at Macy's for $146.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=162528&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Use 10% coupon code: SG7932CXPT

The porcelain enameled dutch ovens are nice to have in your collection. We have 1 that we use when cooking soups/chilis in doors.

I like cast irons because they're a bit more rugged. I like to use them outdoors and over my grill when I don't want to be inside. The wife wouldn't like it if I mucked up here nice porcelain pots outside.

I have almost 20 enameled cast iron Le Creuset pieces. I couldn't imagine cooking without them.

In fact, anyone looking to start their collection, I recommend the 7 1/4 quart dutch oven. The Carribean Blue one currently on sale at Macy's for $146.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=162528&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Use 10% coupon code: SG7932CXPT

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you.

Snagged one. And the 10% coupon worked, too! Gee, the savings on this will pay for my pub membership for many years! And I prefer the blue! I might add, it's selling for full price at the amazing dot com place.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

Do you mind sharing your red beans and rice recipe? I love authentic red beans and rice and really have no idea how to prepare it...

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you.

Snagged one. And the 10% coupon worked, too! Gee, the savings on this will pay for my pub membership for many years! And I prefer the blue! I might add, it's selling for full price at the amazing dot com place.

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

This is how I have so many pieces. I have never paid retail for any of my cookware. Amazon used to run crazy specials on Le Creuset. I once bought a 7 1/4 qt Dutch Oven for $89, and it came with a free 14" stoneware roasting pan.

There is also a Le Creuset outlet not far from here. You can search through their "Seconds" and find some that arent damaged at all. If a lid or a bottom is damaged, they "Second" the whole thing. So, a few minutes of searching and you can usually find a perfectly good pan and lid. AND...they send out coupons for 30% off all the time.

I'm now collecting Mauviel copper. Never any good deals on those though.

My Red Beans & Rice recipe

Do you mind sharing your red beans and rice recipe? I love authentic red beans and rice and really have no idea how to prepare it...

If you've ever had Popeye's RB&R, they taste similar to these.

First, which red beans you use makes a big difference. Sometimes you see tiny beans labeled as red beans. Not for this recipe. I use Camellia red beans whenever possible. Otherwise, use red beans sized between black eyed peas and northern white (navy) beans.

1 lb red beans
1 lb hickory smoked ham hocks, sliced into to help spread the flavor
(obviously you can substitute other meat or sausage if you wish)
1 large or 2 small vidalia or yellow onions
as much garlic as you feel like peeling and chopping (I generally use 4-6 cloves. Most use 1 or 2.)
3-4 stalks celery, sliced fairly thin (1/8"?) The more celery, the sweeter the result.
3 large or 6 small bay leaves
salt or cajun seasoned salt
Tabasco

Soak the beans in water overnight. Soaking water should be twice as deep as the beans. Next day, drain just before cooking. If using uncooked meat/sausage, cook it now, in bacon grease. If using fully cooked ham or the hocks, just put in large dutch oven, preferably cast iron. Fry up the onion, celery, garlic, also in bacon grease.

Add everything to the dutch oven, add water to cover, bring to simmer. I don't use much Tabasco- I aim for a bit of it's flavor, not it's heat. We're talking maybe a teaspoon here. Cook for at least 4 hours, until the beans are completely soft. Mind the water level, keeping it just above the beans, etc. For the last 30 minutes, you might want to pull out about one half to one cup of the beans and mash them together. Add the paste back to the pot to thicken it all.

Before serving, remove all the bay leaves. Never store or serve anything with bay leaves still in it. Serve over rice. Lot's of folks pour ketchup over it. Have more Tabasco handy.

If you're like me, and have developed a bit of a tendency toward a south wind, sprinkle about a half teaspoon of home grown epazote over the top and mix it in before eating. The heat from the beans will soften it. Better than beano. You do, of course, have home grown epazote? Never mind, you can buy it in bottles. If your local store doesn't have it, check the Mexican grocers.

Serve this on Monday. Then repeat, every Monday. Welcome to how we live in New Orleans!

I've been cooking in camp style Dutch Ovens for 20+ years and own four Lodge models of different sizes. Earlier this month I was on vacation in TN and stopped by the Lodge factory outlet just west of Chattanooga, and found good deals on assorted stuff.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend the 12" diameter model in the standard depth. I have two of those and used one this past Saturday when we had friends over. Here are a few comments to add to the already good advice given in the earlier posts...

- The table sold at Cabelas is a great investment. I own this model and found that the price substantially lower than the model sold by Lodge. I would not however use in on a wooden deck. The chances of a burning chunk falling or blowing onto the deck aren't worth the risk.

- As mentioned by others, never used soap to clean it. If there is a lot of caked on food that won't come of easily, partially fill the D.O. with water and put it back in the heat. Stuff will loosen up easily in boiling water.

- Hands down the Dutch Oven is the most versatile piece of cookwear you can take camping. I've done several demonstrations for Boy Scout Troops and I usually challenge them to think of a cooked food you CANNOT prepare in a Dutch Oven. Somewhere I've even seen a recipe for using a cast iron D.O. for making ice cream. Baking, boiling, deep frying, roasting, and even the lid inverts to become a griddle. About the only thing you can't do is microwave in it!

- They make fancy lid lifting tools, but I'm perfectly fine with my trusty set of channel locks. Heavy welders gloves and and the lid rest are nice accessories.

- Someone mentioned seasoning the D.O. at 200F. I would take it substantially higher than that. The higher you go, the more the pores of the cast iron open up, letting the oils in. Just don't go above the smoke point of the particular oil or shortening you are using.

- The D.O. will turn a dark brown as it is seasoned. But with continued use, it will get darker and darker and eventually turn the shiney jet black color that you really want. This black non-stick coating is called the "patina".

- Acidic foods, like tomatoes, will break down the patina a little, so it is best to hold off cooking these items until the D.O. has a little experience under it's belt. If you want to get the D.O. off to a get start, deep fry some chicken or doughnuts.

Happy cookin'

Last edited:
Well, just got back after being out of town. The Le Creuset box was waiting on the porch. Box was beat up and it wasn't packed very well, but no damage to the DO. But I thought I'd report that "Caribbean Blue" is not the blue that was pictured. It's more of an aqua color. Not the color I'd have picked, but my wife likes it.

Here's the shot:

Attachments

• Le Creuset Caribbean Blue.JPG
    Le Creuset Caribbean Blue.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 258
Well, just got back after being out of town. The Le Creuset box was waiting on the porch. Box was beat up and it wasn't packed very well, but no damage to the DO. But I thought I'd report that "Caribbean Blue" is not the blue that was pictured. It's more of an aqua color. Not the color I'd have picked, but my wife likes it.
Well, you will love that pot. That's the second most used piece of equipment in my kitchen behind my Mauviel 11" fry pans.

img27m.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)