cat 6 cable flat or normal cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
I am looking for cat 6 cable. I have to fit 3 cat6 wires through an opening about size of a quarter used to be an old a/c runoff through the wall. The runoff is not being used anymore. These wires will be used for my CCTV system I am wondering if these could carry enough power to these cams. I will be using an Amcrest 4 channel NVR that does 4k. What do you guys think?

Most NVR systems run on CAT6 and PoE. I would bet that baluns that can do PoE are stupid expensive (dozens of dollars for each camera).

Amazon product ASIN B00CKY6KEO
CAT6 is cheaper, smaller diameter and doesn't require the use of baluns. I do recommend finding CAT6 that is UV and weather resistant. CAT6 is preferable to CAT5 because of the larger wire gauge.

I'm pretty sure you don't want to mess with coax.

You should be able to get more than three CAT6 cables through a quarter-sized opening. We run armored flexible conduit with 4 CAT6 cables at work and that has an O.D. of less then a quarter. Run all three cables at once (use a Sharpie™ to make 1, 2, and 3 dots/bands on both ends of the cable to tell them apart) instead of one at a time to prevent chaffing the cable sheathing in the opening. If you think you might need four or five cameras in the future, it's worth it to run it now instead of trying to pull it later.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.