Cat5e / serial / DB9 mod

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Could I run Cat5 cable from the receiver to the computer and solder on DB9's on both ends? I'd like to try it. Then I won't have to disconnect my receiver constantly.

why not? There are a few people who have their reciever always connected to the computer via the DB9 cable

Rat Shack still sells them. They're in those big drawers now with the rest of the "geek parts" :)

as for the type, from the Coolsat site

*The 4000 Plus uses a Null Data Cable

*The 4000 PRO uses a Straight Data Cable

Check your electronics store. You can pick up some DB9 to RJ-45 converters. You'll have to figure out the pinouts.

You'd be suprised how far a serial cable can go. I've had to run some over 40 feet without issues at work.

Check your electronics store.
You can pick up some DB9 to RJ-45 converters.
You'll have to figure out the pinouts.

You'd be suprised how far a serial cable can go.
I've had to run some over 40 feet without issues at work.

Yes, give that man a prize!

I use Cat5 (which I make by crimping the RJ45 connectors onto the cable) along with the DB9 to RJ-45 converters, too.
Now, you should use the correct pinning of the cable.
- follow the normal RJ45 wiring pinout -
... so pairs are twisted together and terminated as appropriate.

The adapters go for somewhere between $2 and $6, if memory serves.
And, you have to plug the wires from the RJ45 socket inside it, into the desired pins of the DB9/DB25.
That sets the pinout, for such things as crossover or straight-through.
- never make the cable with RJ45's on each end, a unique wiring plan -
Always make the changes in the RJ45-to-DB9 adapter. (and document it)

In tests I've run, I was able to get 100 kilobaud over 100+ feet, without trouble.
I've also run at least 50 feet (maybe more - I can't recall) from a parallel port using a DB25 to RJ45 adapter, too.
If in doubt, try a test with about twice as much cable as you think you'll need.
If that works, then half as much should be pretty reliable. :)

Also, they usually come in both sexes, so you could have DB9/25 male or female, as required.

Could I run Cat5 cable from the receiver to the computer and solder on DB9's on both ends?
Solder?
Sorry, I got caught up in the fun.
Yes, that'll work even more cheaply.

You'll probably be using solid wire cat-5, so don't be flexing it a lot.

Last edited:
Terminal and Console...

That's all you folks are really doing - cheaper to just buy a leftover at a surplus store. You'll see alot of the CISCO ribbon with DB option lying around. Have a few myself.

If you want maximum flexiblility - buy a 25 or 50 CAT5 patch cord with stranded wire - cut off one end. Very flexible stuff...

Used to build and maintain data centers - including terminal servers. Gotta say that CAT5 just seems to be the most flexible and highest utility comm cable around. Keep a box around always - lots of RJ-45 / DB9 / DB25 connectors. I'll use it for networking, serial connections, individual wires as custom jumper wires, tie-down rope in a truck, continuity testing with a 9 volt battery and tonque...etc...even used it once to demonstrate how to make a coil - lot cheaper than buying spooled bar wire at Orchards.

DEC had a graphical doc somewhere diagraming all kinds of null / straight / proprietary cable construction using CAT5 and DBs and RJs for just about everything. When I find it...I'll post it. One of the best references I have ever had filed away.

=:cool:

Sorry, the chart I have is for use with DEC Terminal Servers...

Was thinking though - who is to say that the connecting between the receiver console port and the serial port on the PC can't be done wireless using 802.11x.

Put a wireless transceiver in ad-hoc mode on each end. Do not assign IP addresses...up the interfaces...something approaching done.

Imagine being able to place the receiver and comp anywhere you want without disconnecting the serial connection.

=:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)