Catching Galaxy 3C 95W from Southern California to get DirecTV Latin America (Argentina)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sunnyla

Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
CA
Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum and to the satellite dish world.

I'm from Argentina and living in Los Angeles, CA. I got a paid DTV receiver with an active card who was sent by my relatives in Buenos Aires and I'm trying to get some Argentinian channels.

I've been reading a lot on the web (and on this forum) and I found out these things:

1- According to SatBeams both the West (Horizontal - Oeste) and South (Vertical - Sur) beams have a strong footprint in southern California.

2- I needed at least a 70cm dish.

3- With a circular LNB that receives the transponders form the 13 to the 40 (some on the West beam and some on the South) with frequencies ranging from 11.4ghz to 12.1ghz (According to LyngSat).

4- The channels for south american countries (i.e. Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, etc...) are broadcasted from the South beam.

5- According to my exact location I need to set up the dish like this:
- Elevation angle: 43°
- LNB Tilt (skew): 30.4°
- True azimuth: 142.2°
- Magnetic azimuth: 129.5°

With all of that information I went online and bought the WS7630 dish, with the Eagle Aspen LNB DTVGS apparently specific for DTV Latin America.

Now, after setting everything up with a compass, a level and an iPhone app (SatFinder) I'm getting 0% signal on all transponders.
Since I bought the satellite dish separately from the LNB I don't think it fits properly and I think that might be the reason why it isn't working.

So to make sure that there was a signal, I connected my DTV receiver to a DirectTV US installation from a friend and I got 89-90% signal on half of the transponders on the West beam, obviously this wasn't enough to get channels or even the programming guide.

My question is, do you have the same equipment that I have? can you show me a photo of your installation?

Much appreciated and I hope the other information might be helpful for future "googlers" like me :)

Looking at the beams it shows that it hits so cal SatBeams - Satellite Coverage Maps - Sat Footprint Galaxy 3C (G-3C, Galaxy 13) / Spaceway 3 (Spaceway F3, Skyterra-1)

the DTVGS+ is correct but you might need to modify the lnb by breaking off the grey housing and using elc tape to have a snug fit. Pointing for 95 is not an ez task even with a 30" dish. Your box did work on a usa DTV but it will never work as those sats might have the same transponders but its not the same sat. DTV dose have programing on 95 but only limited installs use them as its for international programing other then HK/MExico and uses a standard LNB.

What city in sCA are you it?? PM me if you wish

I bought a smaller LNB bracket and will do some tests in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you updated :)
Thanks for the tip!

Hi,

I know this thread is from a few years ago, I was wondering if you ever managed to receive full channel list from your directvLatinAmerica service.

I just moved from Venezuela to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California (Mexico), and brought one of my DTVLA decoders with me.

Installed it with a 100cm (SKY) antenna, looked for the Galaxy 3C signal, at the end I managed to find it, but the best signal I could get is:

95` (0) PanR1:
87% transponder 26, 91% transponder 27, 82% transponder 28, 89% transponder 29, 93% transponder 31, 84% transponder 32, 88% transponder 34, 87% transponder 35, 87% transponder 36, 87% transponder 38, 0% transponder 65.

This is the only one where I'm receiving signal.

the 95`(1) PanR2 (all transponders) And.. 95` (4) North (the other two that my decoder shows when checking for signal strength do NOT receive any kind of signal at all. 0% in all transponders..

I really don't know much about dishes and installing/looking for satellites but I do know that this is the best signal we could receive from de Galaxy 3C. I do know that back home the decoders receives signal from all three (PanR1, PanR2 and North).

I even installed the very same LBN that the DTV antennas use in Venezuela, a family member bought a new one and send it to me over DHL.

The channel list appeared in the guide full. But I can't see some of them, let's say about half of the channels say 771 Looking for signal. So I suppose the decoder receive this channels from the other beams? (PanR2 and North), none of the venezuelan channels are available, Fox, Fx, Fox Sports, ESPN, only getting like 2 of the 5 HBOs and 2 of the other Fox premium channels,I do get Directv Sports channels tho, which is the main reason why I brought the decoder with me, (and the venezuelan channels for the wife haha).

So if anybody can help me, give me recommendations, suggestions, or tell me what i might be doing wrong or if anybody could confirm that has been able to successfully installed and receive all channels from directv latinamerica in mexico, or the north western part of the country, South california in the case of this thread, i would really much appreciate it.

thanks!

Hi,

I know this thread is from a few years ago, I was wondering if you ever managed to receive full channel list from your directvLatinAmerica service.

I just moved from Venezuela to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California (Mexico), and brought one of my DTVLA decoders with me.

Installed it with a 100cm (SKY) antenna, looked for the Galaxy 3C signal, at the end I managed to find it, but the best signal I could get is:

95` (0) PanR1:
87% transponder 26, 91% transponder 27, 82% transponder 28, 89% transponder 29, 93% transponder 31, 84% transponder 32, 88% transponder 34, 87% transponder 35, 87% transponder 36, 87% transponder 38, 0% transponder 65.

the 95`(1) PanR2 (all transponders) And.. 95` (4) North (the other two that my decoder shows when checking for signal strength do NOT receive any kind of signal at all. 0% in all transponders..

I really don't know much about dishes and installing/looking for satellites but I do know that this is the best signal we could receive from de Galaxy 3C. I do know that back home the decoders receives signal from all three (PanR1, PanR2 and North).

I even installed the very same LBN that the DTV antennas use in Venezuela, a family member bought a new one and send it to me over DHL.

The channel list appeared in the guide full. But I can't see some of them, let's say about half of the channels say 771 Looking for signal. So I suppose the decoder receive this channels from the other beams? (PanR2 and North), none of the venezuelan channels are available, Fox, Fx, Fox Sports, ESPN, only getting like 2 of the 5 HBOs and 2 of the other Fox premium channels,I do get Directv Sports channels tho, which is the main reason why I brought the decoder with me, (and the venezuelan channels for the wife haha).

So if anybody can help me, give me recommendations, suggestions, or tell me what i might be doing wrong or if anybody could confirm that has been able to successfully installed and receive all channels from directv latinamerica in mexico, or the north western part of the country, South california in the case of this thread, i would really much appreciate it.

thanks!

You could go to satbeams website and go to the footprints tab go to 95w for the G 3C, look for the DTV Latin America footprint and see it it covers Northwest Mexico (Cabos Area).

With that you will be able to check if the signal covers your area, and what dish size you'll need in case it's covered

Hi,

95` (0) PanR1:

thanks!
Sorry to say, but I'm afraid you're pretty much out of luck at your current location in Baja, CA.

As the DIRECTV Latin America (DLA) service no longer uses the G3C satellite. But transitioned to the new Ku band payloads, DLA-1 and 2, aboard the Intelsat 30 and 31 satellites respectively also co-located at 95°W. Which beams' footprints are much more focused upon So. America than the old G3C satellite's were.

And as you can see from for instance here ...

http://www.satstar.net/satellites/intel30.html

http://www.satstar.net/satellites/intel31.html

It's surprising you can even receive some of the transponders on the Pan-regional 1 (NET. 0) beam. As the Ku band Regional and Pan-regional beams from DLA-1/2 on IS30/31 really come nowhere near Baja, CA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)