Cav's Fans Boycotting Papa Johns?

I can't imagine waiting in line for 2-3 hours to save $10.....I guess times are really tough in NEO. :(

I can't imagine waiting in line for 2-3 hours to save $10.....I guess times are really tough in NEO. :(

YUP. Gasoline is nearly $4/gallon and unemployment is higher than ever. People are struggling in NEO. I'd imagine this 23-cent deal will put a smile on some folks faces and they will be able to fill their stomachs without breaking the bank. To some, ordering out can be a rare occurrence during tough times. Hopefully the ones that can benefit from this offer will take advantage...

Wow. That was quick! Papa John's apparently ate crow and is attempting to save face in this PR blunder.....

From Cleveland Plain Dealer Article as seen: HERE.

Papa John's issues apology, pizza deal

Looks like Papa John's is eating humble pie.

Or rather, serving it up to Clevelanders - for a whopping 23 cents.

(Sorry about the cheesy pun. Oops, just did it again.)

The pizza chain issued an apology Sunday for the No. 23 T-shirts emblazoned with the word "Crybaby" and the Papa John's logo, which Washington Wizards fans flaunted during Friday's playoff game in Washington DC. To show the chain's sincerity, its more than 40 area stores on Thursday will sell customers a large one-topping pie for 23 cents.

The company will donate those 23 cents from every pizza, plus $10,000, to the Cavaliers Youth Fund.

"At Papa John's, we're huge fans of Cleveland, the Cavs and LeBron James," said the company statement. "Everyone wins, and we wish the same for the Cavs and LeBron through the playoffs."

The shirts stemmed from No. 23, LeBron James', complaints about hard fouls he thought were intended to injure. Wizards Center Brendan Haywood labeled him a crybaby.

Too bad the Cavs took Game 6 105-88. And we won 23-cent pizza.

Guess that makes it no harm, no foul.

Interesting,
There was a line at the local Poppa Johns on the way home tonight that wrapped around the complex, I would guess that it was about 100 people.
I didn't have time to stop ...
Not sure if they were boycotting or picking up .23 pizzas :D

Jimbo

Last edited:
Just went to the poppa johns website, looks like it is not working, the home page came up, but if you click on any links , it goes NOWHERE.

Jimbo

I think that this whole thing was to get more people TOO Poppa John's, maybe business was lacking and now they have people flocking to thier store, If these same people were so against the T Shirt thing, WOULD THEY HAVE SHOWN UP AT THE STORES FOR CHEAP PIZZA'S ???

If these same people like the pizza they got, many will be rerturning, it's a win / win for PJ's, other than a day of BAD press.

Jimbo

From link.....

Papa John's estimated that they sold an estimated 75,000 pizzas on Thursday in Ohio during a promotion that offered pizza lovers the chance to snag a pie for just 23-cents. More than 80 Papa John's locations in Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Toledo, and Columbus took park in the one-day special.

The promotion netted more than $17,500, with all proceeds going to the LeBron James Family Foundation. Papa Johns also donated an additional $10,000 to James' foundation, as well as another $10,000 to the Cavaliers Youth Fund.

I also heard from a few surrounding Pizza Shop owners/employees that last Thursday was WAY busier than normal. I guess everyone had Pizza on their mind and the folks that were scared off by the long Papa John's lines, went elsewhere for a pie!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)