CB Radio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Just wanted to open a discussion on CB radio and see if anyone is using this ages-old band. I'll start - was into CB back in the early 70's when the FCC required a license and issued call signs, mine was KBN-8387. Back then when you bought a 23 channel CB, an FCC form was included with the radio, you filled it out, mailed it in, and waited about 2 months for the FCC to get back to you with your license and call sign. No chit-chat was allowed, and the FCC had monitoring trucks on the look out for illegal CB'ers, those running high power, etc. Some of the CB magazines back then had a monthly column publishing the names and call signs of those who got a "pink ticket" for breaking the rules, along with fines. Id'ing by call sign was required when transmitting.

In the mid-70's the CB craze started, it was an early form of social media so to speak. Many cars and roofs sprouted CB antennas, and the result was that the masses ignored the established FCC rules (Part 95). People adopted "handles" instead of waiting for or paying for a license. The tsunami of CB'ers was more than the FCC could handle so they dropped the call sign requirement and basically let the public do as they wanted.The craze started to wane in the late 70's - early 80's. Since then the CB band has been depopulated due to new technology like cell phones, but lots of activity remains.

In the car I use an old Radio Shack TRC-450 and a Firestik 36 inch antenna. The daily commute is enlivened by listening to locals and DX'ers using CB to communicate. Since the band is only a few hundred kHz wide you'll always hear something whether it be local truckers on 19 or worldwide DX'ers. Interestingly, one thing that hasn't changed is the FCC rule that no U.S.A. CB user is to communicate more than 155 miles. But radio waves respect no boundaries so you'll hear international contacts being made almost on a daily basis, the hot spot being Channel 38 LSB.

Well enough of my side, wondering if anyone is currently using or was maybe a CB'er way back when it all started. CB was an integral and colorful part of radio history and still lives on in a somewhat downsized form.

Keep the pedal to the metal good buddies and watch out for Smokey Bear......

Attachments

• RadShack450 ad.jpg
    RadShack450 ad.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 137
My handle is Magic Static ;) But the Magic was a 300watt bi-linear amp. I used a Midland 13-893 SSB rig. I added a crystal box and that put me into the "forbidden channels" range where I talked around the world. But the background noise became so great that it pretty much shut down "shootin skip". And another hobby was lost ;)

Use a CB while driving to and from work - Louisville to Bowling Green and back. Use it for road conditions and backed up traffic conditions.

I still have a car mount and walkie talkie around somewhere. Gotta donate or toss. Been at least a couple of decades since I powered one up. I vaguely remember the license and handle.

Break one nine, roller skate!

Reactions: spongella
Went by Super Beagle (B. Gohl) in the mid 70s . Only ran SSB started with a Midland 13-893 "unlocked" into a StarDuster and a homemade 2 element inverted delta V type beam. Exchanged QSL cards from all 50 states and 45 countries.

Transitioned into amateur radio, TV DXing, longwave, shortwave, VHF/UHF scanning then left it all when girls became more interesting to QSO.... LOL

Started out with a Realistic and 102" whip antenna, had twin truckers for awhile on the mirrors also, also had a Pace mobile unit also... Base station disappeared in a burglary in the early 80's. Have 2 - 40 channel walkie talkies we use at designated times during day when hunting.(along with the newer Cobra hand helds).

Reactions: spongella
Thanks for the comments, guys, and yes CB was a stepping stone for many to obtain a ham license.

As for manufacturers of CB radios there were many, the biggies being E.F. Johnson, Midland, Lafayette, Cobra, and Realistic. Others were Pace, Handic, JC Penny, Sears, Teaberry, Royce, Regency, Heathkit, Kraco, SBE, to name several.

Midland, Cobra,Galaxy, and Realistic are among the names still in the business. Interestingly, you can get a brand new AM/SSB CB radio today for about half the price of what they were back in the 70's.

The CB band (11m) was originally allocated to hams. When the CB band was created, this caused some anger because of lost band space.

If you Google "S9 Magazine" you'll find a website called CBradiomagazine, it has some back issues of S9 magazine. The older issues dealt not only with CB but with shortwave too.

My handle is Magic Static ;) But the Magic was a 300watt bi-linear amp. I used a Midland 13-893 SSB rig. I added a crystal box and that put me into the "forbidden channels" range where I talked around the world. But the background noise became so great that it pretty much shut down "shootin skip". And another hobby was lost ;)
A commercial airline pilot and avid HAM was telling me about how he and his buddies spent a couple weeks direction finding and identifying a CB-er who was running a
linear amp, which was throwing harmonics into the aircraft band, interfering with air traffic. They finally figured out it was a college student who played with the CB
while working as pizza delivery guy. When confronted by the Feds, he cooperated, and they took his amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)