CBS 2.1 in Chicago...

swanrs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Just got a new 942 installed with indoor Jensen antenna. I'm getting all locals great, with the exception of channel 2. When I do a scan for locals on the 942 box, it doesn't even find channel 2.1 (analog or digital). Any suggestions????

Did yo uget it before? Remember channel 2 is a VHF channel are you getting any other VHF channels? 2-13? Maybe your indoor antenna isnt strong enough to pick it up? They might be broadcasting at a low wattage?

Thanks...

No, I've never recv'd it before. I am getting all the other local HD channels just fine. It looks like Channel 2.1 is the only local HD channel that is vhf. My antenna says it gets uhf AND vhf. Hmmmm...any other suggestions?

BTW I looked it up and according to the FCC channel 2 is only broadcasting at 2.6 watts so its very very very weak. You might get it with a outside OTA antenna but im not sure. If that is your Zip without using ADDRESS says your .2 miles from the towers thats super close. Are you really that close? GL. Be happy I dont get one DTV channel up here in vermont :)

Channel 2's digital channel is really on channel 3, the only VHF ATSC channel being used in Chicago, and is a real b*tch to get. If you're analog channel 2 via your antenna is poor then the chances of getting WBBM-DT aren't very good. I'd recommend looking at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398&page=1&pp=40 and look for WBBM topics in that thread, it's been talked to death over there. They might also be able to help you get a solution. Good luck.

jmcgee_jr said:
BTW I looked it up and according to the FCC channel 2 is only broadcasting at 2.6 watts so its very very very weak. You might get it with a outside OTA antenna but im not sure. If that is your Zip without using ADDRESS says your .2 miles from the towers thats super close. Are you really that close? GL. Be happy I dont get one DTV channel up here in vermont :)

Go check your numbers again, both the NTSC and ATSC WBBM channels are putting out a much higher signal then that. I'm getting WBBM-DT at about 40 miles from the transmitter.

I'm only 10 miles away...thanks for everyone's help. I'll check out that thread and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

swanrs said:
Just got a new 942 installed with indoor Jensen antenna. I'm getting all locals great, with the exception of channel 2. When I do a scan for locals on the 942 box, it doesn't even find channel 2.1 (analog or digital). Any suggestions????

Since WBBM 2 is a CBS owned station you are eligable for CBS New York on the 61.5 satellite. Call dish and ask for a free dish install for the 61.5 satellite. Don't let them tell you that it cost XX amount of dollars. Tell them that you have the locals except for these channels that you are entitled to. WYIN -66 WYCC-20 WGBO-66 WSNS-44 WXFT-60WYIN-56 WJYS-62.

They may install a Dish 1000 which will receive the 129 satellite. These channels are also of this satallite. If so you will not be able to receive CBS East from NYC.

I live in Lemont and am unable to receive WBBM 2.

Or just wait until next month when E*'s supposed to start offering Chicago local stations in HD via the dish.

Cbs 2 WBBM Tv

I am all the way out in Sugar Grove and I can get Cbs 2 out of Chicago with every outdoor vhf/ Uhf antenna I have tried, though I am using and old Voom box to do it. The Tuner in both my 811 and 921 will not get a consistent signal with it. The voom box works great for CBS 2.1.

The power requirements for 2-6 are much lower than that needed for UHF. In my area KTVK analog 3 runs 100Kw while KASW analog 61 runs 2510 kw.

Edit:
I just looked at the FCC database and the most recent update for WBBM-3 shows 2.5kw, it also shows an application to move the digital signal to channel 11 (if I am reading it right) http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WBBM

I'm not sure how normal that is, the closest I can compare locally is a digital station on 29 running 1000k and an analog on 33 running 2290k

Last edited:
I live in Alsip, which is 14 miles from the Hancock. I can see the towers downtown from my roof. I am using a Wineguard batwing external antenna that came with my Voom installation last year. WBBM comes through my 942 with a signal strengh of 81. The weaker UHF stations like METV are at 72. If the weather gets bad I get breakups on the weak channels. I doubt any inside rabbit ear type antenna will pull down WBBM. I am going to replace the roof top antenna in the near future. Wineguard and Channelmaster have many antennas that get both vhf and uhf. Depends on what you want on your roof. Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)