CBS and NBC are not available.

rockcandy

Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Seattle
Since July, Dish has not reached an agreement to give is CBS. Now on Dec 30 they are saying NBC may go away too. So, I have some questions concerning my options, I don't want to stream if i don't have to. However, I thought I had read somewhere that I can buy a good OTA antenna and with a USB adapter, plug that into my Hooper 3. If that is the case, will I be able to view and record the 2 channels I nm not getting from dish?

Since July, Dish has not reached an agreement to give is CBS. Now on Dec 30 they are saying NBC may go away too. So, I have some questions concerning my options, I don't want to stream if i don't have to. However, I thought I had read somewhere that I can buy a good OTA antenna and with a USB adapter, plug that into my Hooper 3. If that is the case, will I be able to view and record the 2 channels I nm not getting from dish?
If you are in a place where you are able to receive the OTA signal, yes on all counts.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Alrighty then! so far so good.

Now, I have read on here that dealing with Dish technical support is probably not the way to go. I'm fairly tech savvy. Long time Ham radio/CB user. So, I'm sure I can handle the install.

A few more questions please.

Will the OTA programming show up on the Hopper 3 channel guide and be available for DVRing? And I would like some recommendations for antenna brand and adapter brand if possible. I'm assuming the adapter is gonna run 100 bucks and prob 75-100 for antenna. I'd like to get by cheaper but I understand cheaper is not always better.

Alrighty then! so far so good.

Now, I have read on here that dealing with Dish technical support is probably not the way to go. I'm fairly tech savvy. Long time Ham radio/CB user. So, I'm sure I can handle the install.

A few more questions please.

Will the OTA programming show up on the Hopper 3 channel guide and be available for DVRing? And I would like some recommendations for antenna brand and adapter brand if possible. I'm assuming the adapter is gonna run 100 bucks and prob 75-100 for antenna. I'd like to get by cheaper but I understand cheaper is not always better.
The OTA channels will show up on the DISH guide and, yes, you can record them. You can use all kinds of antenna brands. I like Channel Master. Selecting the antenna depends on how far you are from the towers and how well the signal gets to your location. You can get a good idea of things here: RabbitEars.Info

Now, the adapter is specific to the Hopper 3. You can get it from DISH, which will cost you a lot more or you can get it from AirTV for $30: Products | AirTV

I do stream and bought a Fire Stick & Recast that gives me a free 2 week guide for OTA here. My 211k does have free OTA, but the guide is not accurate on many channels. The Recast is. If you can go with free OTA, you are better off. No more worry about disputes and there are plenty and plenty more to go in the future and the TV station owners demand more and more money. Personally, I think they are pricing themselves out of the market. Many streaming services have decided not to carry. locals, no disputes, and they can keep their pricing lower.

I thought dish was giving them to accounts losing stations. ???

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!
That's a definite maybe. They might be giving away the single tuner models. I'd spend the $30 and feel good about it. Of course there is the possibility that Dish would handle both the antenna and the adapter. That might be worth looking into,,,

Last edited:
If you can get the DUALtuner OTA adapter FREE from Dish,
That is the way to go.

The Dual tuner OTA from Dish is the exact same as the Dual tuner from AirTv, in a different colored plastic housing (dish-black/airtv-white)

If you cannot get the Dual tuner from Dish,
The AirTv is lower priced than buying the Dish OTA.

Dish has had a previous SINGLEtuner OTA manufacturer which was a very inferior product.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Im confusedd as to the cost of the AirTV mini. Bobby says $30 but if you go to the site they are $79? Where can i find the $30 version? Thanks!

If I only have 1 television then the single adaptor would be enough correct?

If you can get the DUALtuner OTA adapter FREE from Dish,
That is the way to go.

The Dual tuner OTA from Dish is the exact same as the Dual tuner from AirTv, in a different colored plastic housing (dish-black/airtv-white)

If you cannot get the Dual tuner from Dish,
The AirTv is lower priced than buying the Dish OTA.

Dish has had a previous SINGLEtuner OTA manufacturer which was a very inferior product.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!
In defense of the old single-tuner OTA adapter (Pace) it was a very good product in its time. Unfortunately, software updates to the Dish receivers (which, to be fair, were necessary in order to enable the ability to accept and use the dual-tuner adapters) rendered that model obsolete. (The receivers will still recognize the adapter, but many people here reported pixilation issues while using that model. These issues may never have been fixed, since Dish is now focused on supporting the dual-tuner adapters.)

There are actually two types of Dish-branded dual-tuner OTA adapters. It is the earlier model (Hauppauge) that is the very inferior product. In fact, when it first came out, many members here quickly went back to the old, reliable single-tuner model. This was because of overheating issues, and the same type of pixilation issues that also later developed with the single-tuner adapter, forcing everyone to switch to a new adapter yet again.

The new dual-tuner OTA adapters (Lark) are the ones that are exactly the same, whether you get the Dish-branded one or the AirTV one. Even those adapters caused pixilation issues on Joeys recently, although those issues seem to have been fixed (for the most part) by the latest software. In any event, I think we all agree that this new model has been far superior to the old Hauppauge model.

As far as the concern raised earlier in the thread about Dish still sending out the old single-tuner models, that is very unlikely. Those adapters became very scarce at one point, since they were no longer being manufactured while Dish was still working on coming up with the first dual-tuner adapter. This was compounded by a huge spike in demand for the OTA adapters, due to the large number of local channel disputes. As a result, it got to the point where you could no longer get the OTA adapter directly from Dish at all. This caused the price of the single-tuner OTA adapter to skyrocket on the secondary market, until Dish finally came out with the dual-tuner adapter. Even for a little while after that, the price of the single-tuner adapter remained quite high, due to higher demand for that model after people found out about all the problems that the first dual-tuner adapter had.

Having said that, Dish treats both models of dual-tuner adapter equally. They still picture the older model in their online store, and they may still have many of those in stock. So, if you order one from Dish, you may very well get the inferior Hauppauge model. In that case, at least it will definitely be a dual-tuner adapter, just not the one that everyone here prefers. So, it is still best to order one directly from AirTV, so you know that you are getting the correct (Lark) model.

Im confusedd as to the cost of the AirTV mini. Bobby says $30 but if you go to the site they are $79? Where can i find the $30 version? Thanks!

If I only have 1 television then the single adaptor would be enough correct?
Click the link in his post, and then scroll down to the bottom. You are looking for the $29.99 dual-tuner adapter in the middle of the bottom row.

The dual-tuner adapter from AirTV is the only one of their adapters that will work with Dish receivers. Even with only one television, you still need the dual-tuner adapter. This gives you an additional OTA tuner for recording, if you are using the adapter with a Hopper or a DVR-enabled Wally.

Thanks for clearing up where on the page the unit was located. It has been purchased!! The rabbit ears app is calling for a 30 ft antenna height. I think I can get away with a bit less height without losing too much signal.

I live in a HOA controlled neighborhood but I have learned that they cant screw with me on OTA antenna placement. Now to figure out where to put it.

I just use cheap $25 ATSC 1.0 OTA tuners. That way when Dish goes out during a storm, I still have my full complement of OTA stations. The OTA boxes can also record to a USB drive in unencrypted MPEG4 file format.

If they drop CBS and NBC, I could care less. I just use Dish for the cable networks.

That's a definite maybe. They might be giving away the single tuner models. I'd spend the $30 and feel good about it. Of course there is the possibility that Dish would handle both the antenna and the adapter. That might be worth looking into,,,
If we start installing OTA's again and losing the CBS Affiliate here wit the Nextstar dispute makes that an almost certainty, it'll be the Lark Dual-tuner adapter

So, I bought the Air TV adaptor, an RCA Amp1450E and an RCA Attic/outdoor compact design HD Antenna. I placed the antenna as high as possible on my home, After scanning on the OTA program in the Hopper and trying for a stronger signal by using 2 different phone apps, I am not able to get anything higher than a weak signal. I changed coax to a new coax with no success. I have the same weak signal with or without the AMP in line which I find annoying. So, before I climb up one more time to disassemble this antenna, does anyone have a recommendation for a better antenna? I would guess I'm 20-24 feet above ground with the antenna. One app I used called for 30 feet which I don't think I can achieve.

1607125561752.png

This is the antenna that I am trying to use!

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)