CBS College Sports HD PQ is Atrocious

primetimeguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
St. Paul, MN
I pretty much expected this since when they show SD content on the channel the macroblocking is terrible.

But for the Miss St / Wash game, on the wide court shots you cannot even make out the eyes, nose and mouth on any player that is moving. The players look like characters from South Park the detail is so bad.

This is flat out pathetic!

I pretty much expected this since when they show SD content on the channel the macroblocking is terrible.

But for the Miss St / Wash game, on the wide court shots you cannot even make out the eyes, nose and mouth on any player that is moving. The players look like characters from South Park the detail is so bad.

This is flat out pathetic!

Dude totally, I am looking at it right now. I am guessing this must be a CBS thing and not a Dish thing since ESPN's quality is great during Bball games

CBS C has been a joke since we got it, although I have to say that I was happy to see they are showing games that aren't being covered by CBS because Oprah is on. I got home from work and flipped on the tube to watch some BB and about had a meltdown when I saw that.

I've never understood why they don't show the rebroadcast of games in HD. College FB on CBS is fantastic, but then to see the rebroadcast on CBS C is laughable. Truly a waste of a channel and pathetic to call it "HD".

And I have to say I was also pumped to finally be able to watch that elusive 5 pm ET first game on TV. It always bothered me that there was basketball being played that I couldn't watch except on my computer.

I watched the UCONN game today and the commercials looked MUCH better then the game. The PQ was horrible and brought to us by Harris the leader in HDTV....

I just don't see what you guys are seeing. I'm watching on a 60" Pioneer and it is not the best I've ever seen, but it is on par with most sports broadcasts I've seen lately.

I know you guys are talking about CBS College Sports channel but my local CBS hd was not the usual best pq while watching the games today. It looked more like NBC hd pq.

Yeah, the CBS C game was the first game I watched, but when I got the evening games on CBS, I've not been particularly impressed - and I have CBS OTA as well as via the Dish, so it was a source issue, not a Dish compression issue. The CBS C game was actually pretty comparable to what I'm seeing now. Although, when they've been on the Duke game (which is where the #1 broadcast team is, and presumably their best equipment), it's been pretty good.

When Dish drops down to 4 channels of MPEG4HD per transponder CBS-C HD will continue to look like crap. FSN-HD is soft, my Comcast Sportsnet RSN is soft. People who think HD quality on Dish is good has not seen a quality source EVER. Just keep accepting your great PQ you think you are getting people.

When Dish drops down to 4 channels of MPEG4HD per transponder CBS-C HD will continue to look like crap. FSN-HD is soft, my Comcast Sportsnet RSN is soft. People who think HD quality on Dish is good has not seen a quality source EVER. Just keep accepting your great PQ you think you are getting people.
Unfortunately the vast majority of subs (and probably a majority of people here) think the HD picture quality is acceptable. And the constant moaning and groaning is not for better PQ, but more channels.

The PQ on Dish looks BETTER then my CBS OTA. (Same station)

The reason I believe is because my CBS has 3 subchannels, so all the bandwidth is not there so the HD is compressed.

The HD feed that Dish gets comes direct without the subchannels and thus looks noticebly better.

The PQ on Dish looks BETTER then my CBS OTA. (Same station)

The reason I believe is because my CBS has 3 subchannels, so all the bandwidth is not there so the HD is compressed.

The HD feed that Dish gets comes direct without the subchannels and thus looks noticebly better.

They must do that with my local Madison CBS as well b/c as it is softer PQ, there is not much pixelation as OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)