622...what is going on with the Dish hardware?

MaryS910

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
I have been a DISH customer for over 10 years and the main reason that I have not switched to DirecTV is because of the quality of the DISH receivers over Directs.I have 2 VIP622s and up until a week or so ago, both have worked fine. Then the one I have in the living room started this horrible 'click click click 'noise and the next time I turned it on, the message said to unplug it or the DVR functions would be lost. I unplugged it overnight and the next day, nothing. The green light would briefly come on and then go off. This would happen every hour or so.

I called Tech SUpport and they sent out a replacement that arrived yesterday. I installed it without a problem and got everything workimg. Later that night, the new (refurbished) dvr turned itself off and started the same behavior as the last one. Aware that some believe it is a cooling issue, I turned off the stereo receiver that's in the same cabinet, opened the cabinet doors wide and turned on the ceiling fan full blast! About 6 hours later, it turned itself on for an hour, went off, and nothing since.

I have taken it out of the power strip and plugged it right into the wall, left it unplugged for a while and then plugged back in, made sure the cabinet is cool, etc. Nothing helps.

Is this what the 622 has become?

I am about to call the CSR and they'll have me try the things I have already done.

Any ideas about what is going on? SIGH~:mad:

Mary

Last edited:
Ok, update, the receiver came on by itself at 10:15 and showed 7 minutes of March Madness and went off. I did the online Tech Support and he tried to tell me it was an electrical issue and I told him that our 622 in the bedroom works fine plugged in here and that it was the refurbished receiver that was the issue and closed the chat. I just called DISH and they are sending out another one so it's wait another 3-5 days and I'll just bed it won't be a new one. I am getting very, very frustrated.

Click Click ClicK random reboots is your HD it happens sorry to say. 1 option is call dish and have them mail out a repacement (mon/teu) Or call and eat the $29 and have a Tech come over and replace it for you. \

Bolth ways you will lose your recordings unless you have the EHD option on your account.

Find another location for the next one. Get it out of the cabinet. It MUST have some ventilation, or this will keep happening. Your ceiling fan won't do it.

I called last night and they said I would have one in 3-5 days. I am about to take the original one to UPS. I'll try one more and if that doesn't work, I'll have someone else come and install it so they can see what is going on. It's only $29 for the service call? I am no longer on a contract as I have been with them over 10 years.

The replacements aren't costing anything, they told me, as I am on autopay so they waive the $19.95 shipping charge.

Click Click ClicK random reboots is your HD it happens sorry to say. 1 option is call dish and have them mail out a repacement (mon/teu) Or call and eat the $29 and have a Tech come over and replace it for you. \

Bolth ways you will lose your recordings unless you have the EHD option on your account.

We leave the cabinet doors open at all times so that the unit doesn't overheat. It seems odd to me when I read the posts where people are using laptop cooling fans, etc, to keep their equipment running. Shouldn't the receivers be made better so that this doesn't happen?

I don't like the look of a receiver sitting out on top of my nice television cabinet in the living room. In the bedroom, fine, but this cabinet is made to house the HDTV and the stereo receiver/directv receiver/dish receiver.

Find another location for the next one. Get it out of the cabinet. It MUST have some ventilation, or this will keep happening. Your ceiling fan won't do it.

if you dont have DHPP on the back of your bill then the service call wuld be $99 your better off just replacing it your self.. If you can plug in a VCR-DVD player you can plug in a sat box.

As for the cabnet i use 2 USB powerd fans. I have cut out 2 Inlet holes at the bottem of my cabnet and 2 at the top of the backing and installed 2 fans pusing air out at 5CFM each. Over heating is not an isue but the fans are a must 1 722k 1 Starchoice 1 HR21 1 pansat HD box 1 PS3 and an audio Amp all pump out tones of heat.

If the 622/722 gets realy hot it will save its self by shuting off but its not good to rely on that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)