CBS-HD through DISH 522 into HD Tuner?

sarama711

Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Naperville, IL
I just added a HD tuner and antenna to my setup. I am getting FOX, ABC, NBC, WGN, UPN, WB, etc... in HD from the towers in Chicago.

But no CBS.

From what I am hearing, many people in my area are unable to pull in the CBS-HD signal using an antenna.

Am I able to pick up CBS-HD from DISH, run the signal into my 522, then into my HD tuner and onto my tv? Or would the 522 lose the HD signal?

Is there any way to get CBS-HD from DISH without a DISH HD receiver? I already have a two dish setup.

Thanks in advance...

The 522 can not pick up dish's cbs-hd if that's what you're talking about. You'll need an 811. They can be leased for the same $5 monthly charge as everything else plus the $9.99 hd pack

What BFG says is true however since you have a 522 system you would also need a 311 receiver to run your second room independently. This would cost you an additional $4.98 per month. And of course these receivers are not DVR.

Chs 2 chicago in hd

Hello Sarma
what type of antenna are u using for the hd stuff from chi town? If it is a uhf only antenna it will not pick up cbs in hd because cbs 2 broadcasts on digital vhf channel 3

satqas said:
What BFG says is true however since you have a 522 system you would also need a 311 receiver to run your second room independently. This would cost you an additional $4.98 per month. And of course these receivers are not DVR.

What the heck? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The 311 is a standard definition receiver like the 522. None of the 3xx, 5xx or 7xx receivers can receive HD programming. The $4.98 fee is a DVR fee. The additional receiver fee is $5.00. Like BFG said, you'll need an 811 (or 9xx series receiver). You'll also need a second dish pointed at 61.5 or 148 (which it sounds like you have) to receive CBS-HD from DISH. Since Chicago is an O&O, you won't need a waiver.

chaddux said:
What the heck? You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The 311 is a standard definition receiver like the 522. None of the 3xx, 5xx or 7xx receivers can receive HD programming. The $4.98 fee is a DVR fee. The additional receiver fee is $5.00. Like BFG said, you'll need an 811 (or 9xx series receiver). You'll also need a second dish pointed at 61.5 or 148 (which it sounds like you have) to receive CBS-HD from DISH. Since Chicago is an O&O, you won't need a waiver.

Actually I was referring to needing a 311 receiver to replace the second tuner on the 522, the 811 is a single tuner receiver. I of course was assuming that he didn't want HD on his second TV.

I stand corrected on the additional receiver fees however, you got it wrong too. The following was taken from the dish network website:

F. In addition to the amounts due for Services, you agree to pay the fees referenced below ("Fees”) when applicable. DISH Network reserves the right to increase these Fees or add additional Fees in the future, in our sole discretion.
Smart Card Replacement Fee $50.00
[B]Additional Receiver Authorization Fee (monthly, per receiver) $4.99[/B]
Late Payment Fee $5.00
Change of Service Fee $5.00
Duplicate Billing Statement Fee $2.00
Overnight Delivery Fee $18.00
Restart Fee $25.00
Returned Payment Fee $25.00
Service Access Fee (monthly) $5.00
Offset Fee $2.00
Ledger Request Fee $5.00
Pay-Per-View Automated Fee $1.00
Pay-Per-View Fee $5.00

So perhaps before you jump up and start accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about you should make sure you understood the post and do a little research yourself. :shocked

hey i live down in kankakee county.. i get everything except cbs.. (I get cbs through my 921 via 61.5 and newyork. the problem is that cbs is on a low band vhf. you will probley have to wait till cbs goes uhf some time next year when the fcc approves there uhf channel. you wont be able to get cbs anywhere south of tinley park and west of romeoville if your lucky. i have a 15 ft uhf/vhf beast on my roof with a pre amp. I get all chicago locals in the 110 range on my 921 and a snippit of cbs2 but unable to lock to get psp data to keep the channel in the guide. it loves to stay at 70 for a few seconds and go bye bye.

on the reciver portion why doesnt he just get a 942 problem solved!

satqas said:
So perhaps before you jump up and start accusing people of not knowing what they're talking about you should make sure you understood the post and do a little research yourself. :shocked

I don't need to do any research because I already know the answer. That's what DISH states is the fee but it's normally not what they actually charge. A quick look at all of my bills reveals that the additional receiver fee is $5.00, making me correct (and making you wrong...again). The $4.99 receiver fee is charged as a Phone Line Fee when an x22 receiver is not plugged into a phone line. A bit of advice: when you stick your foot in your mouth, it's normally best to just shut up and not stick your foot in your mouth a second time. :)

I am new here so i'm not going to reply to this post in the manner that I really want to however, if this is any indication of how people on here are going to present themselves I won't be here any longer. Once again my original post had nothing to do with the 811 receiver, I was simply explaining that the poster would need a 311 (or any other receiver of his choice) to have independant programming in a second room.

You sir we're the one that wanted to argue over 2 cents not me. If you choose to pay $5.00 for the additional receiver fee thats your business I could care less I however pay $4.99 a month for that same receiver.

Since this isn't worth arguing over any further this is my last post on this subject, ty and have a good day.

I'm just using a Terk indoor antenna and running through an LG HD receiver. It's good to see CBS Chicago is moving to a UHF channel, but that may take a couple years. Maybe the 942 is the way to go - for a while anyway. Right now I watch most shows on time delay, so even HD programming loses out most of the time. So yes, the 942 sounds like my solution.

HD Channel 2 can be had

I to had this problem until yesterday. I run my antenna though the 522 I have a switch on my amplified antenna (RCA 1250) I switch it to bypass not amplified and channel 2 shows up on 2.1. I watched CSI in HD last night. I still have to switch back the antenna to amplified to watch the other HD or Digital channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)