Hooking up a different receiver to Telephone line

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
First off, before I get into any details and bore people to death, is it possible to dial out for the downloads on the Dish Network with VoIP? I recently moved and had a telephone line hooked up to my dish for nightly programming updates. Now in my new location, I have Vonage VoIP and split the line coming out to go to my phone and then to my receiver.

Now, the problem is, I have this hooked up to a 510 (DVR Single Receiver). Previously, the telephone line was hooked up to my 522 (DVR Dual Receiver). Is it possible that I can set the 510 to be the receiver to dial out and update the other receiver? Does the 522 have to be hooked up? Or is this impossible due to the VoIP? Any help is appreciated!

jaelae said:
First off, before I get into any details and bore people to death, is it possible to dial out for the downloads on the Dish Network with VoIP? I recently moved and had a telephone line hooked up to my dish for nightly programming updates. Now in my new location, I have Vonage VoIP and split the line coming out to go to my phone and then to my receiver.

Now, the problem is, I have this hooked up to a 510 (DVR Single Receiver). Previously, the telephone line was hooked up to my 522 (DVR Dual Receiver). Is it possible that I can set the 510 to be the receiver to dial out and update the other receiver? Does the 522 have to be hooked up? Or is this impossible due to the VoIP? Any help is appreciated!

First of all, the phone line has NOTHING to do with nightly updates. EPG and software updates come from the satellite. The phone line is used ONLY for calling in PPV purchases, using DISH Home, and for billing purposes on the x22 receivers. Also, be aware that you will be able to make some PPV purchases without a phone line. However, if they are not called in, the receiver will eventually stop you from making future purchases and/or put up a nag screen telling you to do it.

Yes, you can use VOIP services although some people do have trouble with it.

The 522 must be hooked up to avoid the extra $4.99 Phone Line Fee ONLY. If you don't mind paying that fee, it need not be hooked up to a phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)