Cbs Hd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lfausto

Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
I know DTV is adding CBS HD in their lineup.
My question is:
Do I have to live in an area where local channels are offered to see it?

Or is it available for everybody with a HD subscription package with DTV?

Thanks

It will only be available to you if you live in an area where your local station is a CBS Owned and Operated station.

Scott Greczkowski said:
It will only be available to you if you live in an area where your local station is a CBS Owned and Operated station.

Does anyone know if D* will have a similar clause to E* for white area subs?

The general consensus (only speculation until the channel is actually on the bird and we see who gets it) is that the same rules will apply to DirecTV that apply to Dish.

That is, to be eligible, you must live in a DMA that is served by an owned and operated station. Additionally, you must not be able to receive another station at a Grade B or better signal. If you are able to receive another affiliate at grade B or better, a waiver will be required from that station. Check directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com to see what stations serve your area.

Not much has been mentioned about white area subs, but speculation is that they will eventually have a provision for white area subs. Whether that will be in place in time for the SB, who knows.

CBSHD is not currently in the lineup. It shows up in the DirecTV online guide beginning on 1/30 at 0600 Eastern.

I'm more interested in the national Fox ED feed they alluded to for O&O subscribers. I'm ASSUMING they would make it available to E* as well (or they would risk a public lawsuit from E* as they try to yell "SEE! We told you he would abuse his monopoly position!)

They might get all of the Democrats and a few of the moderate Republicans to bite as they HATE FoxNews for starting a conservative news channel.

Honestly who lives in an area with only one CBS station that also happens to be O&O? Using Antennaweb.org I can't find any yet (checking address by address in the major areas). Like in Minneapolis it seems there are a couple CBSs, Foxs, etc. What I would like to know is what's the difference if I get an affiliate in HD and not this CBS-HD from LA or NY?

veander said:
Honestly who lives in an area with only one CBS station that also happens to be O&O? Using Antennaweb.org I can't find any yet (checking address by address in the major areas). Like in Minneapolis it seems there are a couple CBSs, Foxs, etc. What I would like to know is what's the difference if I get an affiliate in HD and not this CBS-HD from LA or NY?

If you live in the Mpls/St Paul area, you qualify (I lived in the Mpls area for 25 years)..Where are you getting 2 CBS & FOX stations in the area?? You might be including Digital

There are only 3 full powered FOX stations licensed in MN
KMSP..Mpls
KQDS...Duluth
KXLT..Rochester
KBRR..Thief River Falls (satellite of KVRR Fargo)

MN has 5 Full powered CBS stations (Im not including stations that are licensed elsewhere but can be picked up in MN)
WCCO..Mpls O&O
KCCO..Alexandria..satellite of WCCO
KCCW..Walker...satellite of WCCO
KDLH...Duluth..Not O&O
KEYC..Mankato..Not O&O

The only people who dont qualify for CBS-HD are the ones in southern/SW MN (close enough to KEYC and the Sioux Falls DMA) and the counties that border the Fargo DMA.
Most of the DMA can get CBS-HD....Mpls/St Paul area, west to the state line, north to at least Crow Wing & Aitkin Co (I'm in Aitkin CO and do qualify even though technically there is a KDLH translator 18 miles from me). When I lived in the cities, I was in the SW suburbs of Mpls and could get KEYC on the antenna pretty clear, but still qualified.

An affiliate will pre-empt programming for sports, Billy Graham, etc. The O&O do not pre-empt programming. As an example, KEYC (CBS Mankato) has MN Vikings pre-season football..

sorry for the long post :)

Iceberg said:
If you live in the Mpls/St Paul area, you qualify (I lived in the Mpls area for 15 years)..Where are you getting 2 CBS & FOX stations in the area?? You might be including Digital

An affiliate will pre-empt programming for sports, Billy Graham, etc. The O&O do not pre-empt programming. As an example, KEYC (CBS Mankato) has MN Vikings pre-season football..

sorry for the long post :)
I love when people give me this kind of detail in response. Thank you! I did misread the antennaweb.org. I didn't even notice that they post Digital and non-digital versions of the station on the same page.

I will be living in Burnsville, MN which is just south of the Mpls/St Paul area by about 20 minutes on 35W South (who named those two highways?).

D* is installing an OTA package for me next Monday. I hope it all works. Anyway, it's possible I was on the phone with a D* numbskull but this guy told me I would need to fill out a waiver for the CBS-HD where I am moving. Would I still fill out a waiver but be automatically accepted since I am in an O&O area?

V

veander said:
I love when people give me this kind of detail in response. Thank you! I did misread the antennaweb.org. I didn't even notice that they post Digital and non-digital versions of the station on the same page.

D* is installing an OTA package for me next Monday. I hope it all works. Anyway, it's possible I was on the phone with a D* numbskull but this guy told me I would need to fill out a waiver for the CBS-HD where I am moving. Would I still fill out a waiver but be automatically accepted since I am in an O&O area?

V

You got a numbskull...I use to live in Shakopee (about 15 minutes west of Burnsville)..The only reason I got KEYC decent was because I had a huge ass antenna and had to point it in that direction. E*'s rules qualied me at the time, why wouldnt D*'s?

Here is what D*'s eligibility says (If you have a channel that is Grade A or B you dont qualify for distants..In this case, if a CBS other than WCCO is on there, your screwed.)

Eligibilty review for the following:
burnsville, MN 55337
Network Affiliate Channel Status
ABC KSTP 5 Grade A (strong signal)
CBS WCCO 4 Grade A (strong signal)
NBC KARE 11 Grade A (strong signal)
FOX KMSP 9 Grade A (strong signal)

You're OK...you qualify..no waiver needed.

As for the OTA..All the Mpls stations (minus KPXM 41 PAX) is in the same area in Shoreview, so OTA does work great!

will be living in Burnsville, MN which is just south of the Mpls/St Paul area by about 20 minutes on 35W South (who named those two highways?).

35 starts up in Duluth and splits in Forest Lake (just north of the Twin Cities)..35W goes through Mpls and 35 E goes through St Paul...They hook back up south of Burnsville back to 35 and continue along.

That funny...here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, IH-35 splits into 35E (in Dallas) and 35W (in Ft Worth). I couldnt possibly imagine that that would happen anywhere else!

BTW...if your driving through on IH-35, 35W is faster.

Steven
Does that mean on a map, 35E is west of 35W???

God, and I thought St Paul was screwed up. West St Paul is south of St Paul, and South St Paul is East of West St Paul..

whoops...didnt look at the map that close. :)

That is weird that they wouldn't call it "Ft Worth/Dallas" since Ft Worth is West...Minneapolis is W, St Paul is E, hence Minneapolis/St Paul. Duluth is W, Superior, WI is E, hence Duluth/Superior.

ahh.maybe its a Minnesota thing :)

It is called Dallas/Ft. Worth because Dallas (1,188,580) has always been a *MUCH* larger city than Ft. Worth (534,694). Although Ft. Worth has been growing pretty fast lately and most of Dallas growth has moved to the surrounding suburb cities.

Sorry to ask another CBS-HD related question. I feel bad sidetracking the Interstate geography conversation ;-).

I live in Camp Hill, PA (directly across the river from Harrisburg) and D* is still postponing my local market rollout (Harrisburg-Lancaster). I know because of my address I could never get a waiver. Thankfully I finally found an indoor antenna that picks up some HD (I live in an apt.).

My question is this: Will D* have CBS-HD up for the Superbowl? If it's not on a true CBS-HD station, will they have it on channel 84 as a special event? My CBS-HD station is in the vhf band and so far I've not been able to pick it up. I'm just trying to see if I've got my hopes up unreasonably high for having the Superbowl in HD. . . . ?

CBS-HD is only going to be available for sure in the 17 markets where the CBS is O&O (Owned & Operated), so those people can get it for sure as long as you have the locals through Direct.

Will Direct allow people who have CBS via a distant also get it? That is the unknown right now.

Everyone else will have to get it OTA.

"White area" subs got the HD feed from day one. I signed up the mother in law staightaway with NO hassles.

I live in a grade B area and acquired a waiver from WBNS in a matter of 10 days. So now I have both east and west coast feeds of CBS HD via Direct. Pretty nice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)