CBS HDTV Audio Drops Via OTA antenna?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nytevizion

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
To the best of my knowledge, near Chicago, CBS is broadcasting standard analog on VHF Channel 2, and HDTV on VHF channel 3. (whatever those frequencies actually are, I dunno.) ABC,NBC,WTTW-D, FOX, WGN are all using the upper UHF channels like 30+

Any time someone in the complex is using a microwave, hair dryer or just flipping a light switch, I lose audio for a second or two and sometimes the video pix elates.

Im getting a constant 95 percent signal or higher with my Hughes HTL-HD receiver with CBS and all of the other OTA locals are coming in very good and usually interference free.

I have a smaller 6 foot boom, channel master rooftop VHF/UHF antenna located in the attic of my town home. ... Is there anyway to minimize this interference with channel 3? If I install a preamp in only degrades my signal. Is this because the lower VHF channels are more sensitive to interference? Ive tried adjusting the antenna and moving it...I noticed this same problem with the same equipment with the antenna located outside on the roof of a standard residence. Only channel (3) CBS has this problem.

This is why VHF-Lo band isn't all that great for digital.. it's susceptible to a lot more interference than V-Hi or UHF. Just about anything that would put noise into an analog picture on 2 will cause problems with a digital signal on 3. Since digital is all-or-nothing, you'll experience the issues you describe with hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, blenders, old Ford cars passing by, lightning in the distance... you name it.

I used to have to same problem with a VHF digital channel in my area and i installed a attenuator and it solved the problem . Sometimes installing a attenuator can really help when it comes to lower vhf channels. I have provided a link bellow of what you will need. When you install it turn the attenuator as low as possible and monitor you signal screen and bring the 95 signal down some and see if it helps. Hope this solves your problem................DIGITAL~DAN

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-678

Tried another outlet and no go.
I will try the attenuator because it appears to be a cheap fix...I just wonder how it will affect the other channels.

Am I correct in saying that this device reduces the signal throughout the entire band? Thanks Digital-Dan!

Nyte

Hey Nyte, nice to see another Illinoian on the site.

Anyway, Ch.2 has issued a blanket waiver for ALL of its coverage area. So if you get the HD pack, D* will just turn on CBS out of New York for you. I have it out here and it looks great.

Now I know you are thinking "But I won't get to see Antonio Mora in HD!", but its really a great option for CBS-HD for us in the Chicago market.

DIGITAL~DAN said:
I used to have to same problem with a VHF digital channel in my area and i installed a attenuator and it solved the problem . Sometimes installing a attenuator can really help when it comes to lower vhf channels. I have provided a link bellow of what you will need. When you install it turn the attenuator as low as possible and monitor you signal screen and bring the 95 signal down some and see if it helps. Hope this solves your problem................DIGITAL~DAN

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-678

Hey Dan will this work with a uhf channel? I have a very strong signal on my local CBS station but I keep getting pixelation and breakups. I get this on my terk 44 clip on antenna (80-85)and when I use a Silver sensor antenna (100-105)by itself. I was getting fine reception untill this week and now I can't even watch hd without it breaking up. My other uhf stations ,ABC and NBC ,get 80- 85 signals and they never break up or drop out. Any suggestions? :confused:

Well, I had to go out and buy the attenuator. Hooked it up... Seems to have improved the problem. Didn't do any extensive testing. Although I had to turn it down to the point of ABC not coming in good but its ok for now. The real test will be when I'm watching a full Episode of CSI...

Thanks Riggs, I will have to have them turn on that CBS feed as well.

(Was just watching Monsters Inc on ABC in HD-----Can you say WOW?) I love this thing.

ok everyone this is what you can do with the attenuator when you hook it up. First install it in a place where it is easy to get to. I have mine installed before in goes to the receiver and mounted on the wall where i can turn it from min to max. If you have some channels that are to strong turn it to max first and then back off until it starts to affect the signal. If you have some channels that it makes the signal to low then turn it back to min and your problem should clear up. The attenuator will have to be tweaked until you find the "JUST RIGHT SETTING".WELL HOPE THIS HELPS.......................DIGITAL~DAN

MikeD-C05------THE ATTENUATOR WILL WORK WITH UHF AND VHF CHANNELS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)