CBS Local HD Lacks Clarity

beagjake

Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Ohio
CBS channel 19 picture quality is relatively poor especially when the subject is moving or picture content is quickly changing. I'm in the Cleveland local HD area where the other local and national channels present a very sharp image. As an example, during a baseball game the box score is extremely clear while the outfield grass looks to be a wave of differing shades of green. Same issues with locally produced studio news or national Dave letterman. Signal strength between 48-52. I have a VIP222 receiver. What could be the cause as channel 19 is the only channel giving me this constant day after day problem.

I think what you're seeing may be the same thing we're seeing in Milwaukee, though it's not related to Dish but instead the local network's output bitrate.

In Milwaukee, the local CBS station has a few other subchannels, so we've seen the bitrate get all the way down to about 10Mb/s (instead of the max 19.xMb/s) on the HD version. So what used to look great in HD, now looks mediocre.

My understanding is Dish just gets the same broadcast from the locals as what the locals would sent over-the-air.

If you have access to an antenna (even just some cheap rabbit ears), see if you can get the local over-the-air version of CBS, either straight to your HDTV, or if you Dish receiver has an OTA input (I have a 722, not really sure what features your 222 has). Then you'll be able to compare OTA with what you're seeing on Dish to rule out of it's an actual Dish problem. But my guess is that you'll see both look very similar. If that's the case, log a complaint with your local CBS station saying that they've shaved too much of the the bitrate away from the HD channel and their programming is now looking like poo.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts