CBS stations return to DISH

Just hoping the 4 RSN's doesn't get dropped and never heard from again.
since Dish is not to fond of sports negotiations, Just like MSG and YES and CSNNE

Looks like banners have started again- saw one in NY dma awhile ago. I'm thinking now that Turkey day is over I have doubts of another extension. It will be either a deal or "the lights go out" tomorrow night.

Maybe it is just a ploy by CBS to get people to sign up for the streaming service...

Reactions: ChadT41
He most telling thing is that CBS thinks its streaming content WITH commercials is worth $6/month (and last I read,this doesn't even include all episodes of current shows). Can you imagine where satellite/cable bills would go if all the networks applied this valuation? It becomes very clear why Dish is pushing back on CBS' desired price increase...

It's a FREE workaround with limited ads for December, unless you missed the Cyber Monday deal. If they allow it on streaming devices like Roku, by January it will be a good workaround for a continued Dish blackout. It does include recent episodes of current shows. I can also get it on my Samsung TV, but the Internet interface is hokey and slow. I wouldn't dream of paying a dime for this service except as a temporary measure during a blackout. It's better than $2.99 per HD episode on Amazon, or waiting for the latest episodes free under Prime. Again, I won't pay in January if they don't let me use my Roku.

Streaming TV shows over the internet only appeals to a small % of viewers. Can you imagine a family or even 2-3 people crowded around a laptop screen trying to watch The Big Bang Theory ? Don't suggest connecting a laptop to a TV either - the average person does not do that. I presume there's an app for this CBS option but again, the average person or household isn't going to jump at that as an alternative.
Full screen tv with an appletv.

Does anybody know if there will be a price increase next year? Oh wait wrong thread....hold on a minute...let me try again...

Does anybody know when I'll get the new version of the HWS software? Wait, that's not it either....let me try one more time....

Does anybody know when this dispute will be resolved? There we go...that's much better.... :wink

Reactions: ChadT41
I know several people with AppleTVs, although I'm not one of them. I do own a Roku though. As things get going in streaming I am thinking that tons of people will have these devices....

Reactions: KazooGuy
Streaming TV shows over the internet only appeals to a small % of viewers. Can you imagine a family or even 2-3 people crowded around a laptop screen trying to watch The Big Bang Theory ? Don't suggest connecting a laptop to a TV either - the average person does not do that.

That is caveman thinking! In the 1950s theatrical movie producers were saying the same thing about TV.
Roku, Amazon Stream Sticks, and Smart TVs are blurring those lines. People under 25 are more likely to stream internet TV than watch cable or broadcast TV. As this audience gets older, they will continue to watch the TV in the same way. My niece, and her boyfriend are constantly watching some TV show or another on their laptop together, but now they have a smart TV and have been "throwing" the videos to the larger screen.

Internet TV (Streaming TV) is the future. We are at the point now where TV was vs movie theaters in the 50s, DVRs were in the 90s.

Look at the success of Netflix and tell me again "most people" wont internet stream TV. Most "old" people, sure. But the older generation has a tendency to die off leaving the younger generation (who almost exclusively watch streaming TV) to drive the market.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The 30 and younger crowd is going to be doing the majority of their viewing online. My son is 5 and he watches more youtube videos than he watches cartoons on TV. I myself like to watch certain shows through streaming. In fact, just last night I watched part 1 of Band of Brothers on my new TV through the Amazon Prime app.

Roku, Amazon Stream Sticks, and Smart TVs are blurring those lines. People under 25 are more likely to stream internet TV...
I posted in another thread in regards to OTA TV numbers and the reference I found indicated that streaming TV just overtook OTA viewing in the past few months. Turns out the % of OTA viewers was quite a bit lower than I thought too -- 5-6%, as I recall. Streaming is 6-7%. To me, that's still a small percentage.

In our house, we've got (1) smart TV, (2) Blu-Ray players with apps (the older one only has 2-3, one being Netflix), a Roku, Xbox 360, (4) smartphones, (2) tablets, and a couple of computers that we can stream with. Our 5-year old uses the smart TV for Netflix -- and only because the TV remote has a "Netflix" button on it. She can run Netflix on my phone or her tablet, but she'd never manage to navigate through the BD players to run Netflix. I'll bet most streaming Netflix viewers are using a BD player too and with a dedicated Netflix button.

I posted in another thread in regards to OTA TV numbers and the reference I found indicated that streaming TV just overtook OTA viewing in the past few months. Turns out the % of OTA viewers was quite a bit lower than I thought too -- 5-6%, as I recall. Streaming is 6-7%. To me, that's still a small percentage.

In our house, we've got (1) smart TV, (2) Blu-Ray players with apps (the older one only has 2-3, one being Netflix), a Roku, Xbox 360, (4) smartphones, (2) tablets, and a couple of computers that we can stream with. Our 5-year old uses the smart TV for Netflix -- and only because the TV remote has a "Netflix" button on it. She can run Netflix on my phone or her tablet, but she'd never manage to navigate through the BD players to run Netflix. I'll bet most streaming Netflix viewers are using a BD player too and with a dedicated Netflix button.
The bolded does seem a little lower than what I thought it would be, but isn't exactly shocking. Why would someone go through setting up an OTA antenna when the cable/satco will deliver the signal through existing cables?

Hall,

The point isn't to look at today's numbers. The numbers to look at are the trends in viewership. The trend is toward internet streaming video, or VOD service over standard cable/satellite TV. The deals that Dish and other companies are trying to secure now are intended to help them successfully transition so they won't have the best "buggy whip" business in the world in the 1920s (2020s)

The bolded does seem a little lower than what I thought it would be, but isn't exactly shocking. Why would someone go through setting up an OTA antenna when the cable/satco will deliver the signal through existing cables?
Sorry, that wasn't the point I was trying to make - it just so happened when I was looking for OTA %, I found the reference to streaming overtaking OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)