CBSHD Qualification

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sinnfein07

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
New York City
I know - this topic never seems to end... I did a lot of searches, but haven't quite seen the answer I am looking for.

I live in an area that has locals available via Dish Network. I live near the local broadcast towers, so am not eligible for any distant networks or CBS HD. However, way out in the sticks in my DMA there are areas that are far enough away from the broadcast towers that they qualify for all of the Distant networks, but obviously could also get the locals via satellite.

So, my question is whether or not I could get CBSHD if I 'moved' to one of these areas and subscribed to both my DMA locals, and some of the Distant local packages (NYC and LA, for example). Is this the same thing as a 'white' area, even though Dish offers locals via Satellite?

Also, in case it matters, I do not live in one of the '17 O&O' DMAs identified on Dish's website.

Thanks!

sinnfein07 said:
However, way out in the sticks in my DMA there are areas that are far enough away from the broadcast towers that they qualify for all of the Distant networks, but obviously could also get the locals via satellite.
The new address would also have to be far enough away from stations in other DMAs as well. And the service address would have to pass the address broker.

JL

I live in the outskirts of the Atlanta DMA. I do subscribe to the Atlanta locals, and just found out that I am eligible for CBS and NBC distant networks. So now I have the CBS HD from New York to go with my 811 receiver. I pay $1.50 extra for the HD and the SD New York CBS station.

I found this out by checking Dish's website on the locals page. It has a feature that shows you exactly what you are eligible for. So you can use this with several different addresses to see if the location you "move" to will be eligible.

I did the same thing. After I moved (no quotes :)), the CSR told me I could keep the Mpls locals. But after I qualified my address, I was eligible for FOX..Its kinda nice seeing the Simpsons on like 7 or 8 times a day :)

I pay $1.50 extra for the HD and the SD New York CBS station.

The $1.50 is only for SD CBS station. The HD CBS channel is free if you sub to locals. I would probably drop the SD CBS from NY and save $1.50 a month since the HD & SD of CBS NY are the same.[/code]

styxfix said:
I pay $1.50 extra for the HD and the SD New York CBS station.

The $1.50 is only for SD CBS station. The HD CBS channel is free if you sub to locals. I would probably drop the SD CBS from NY and save $1.50 a month since the HD & SD of CBS NY are the same.[/code]

He would have to keep the CBS SD to get the HD, since the only way he qualifies is through distants. I wonder how they allowed you to have CBS-HD even though you can get Atlanta locals, and CBS Atlanta isnt O&O. That normally would require a waiver.

edit.....I was wrong. He wouldnt need a waiver..If you have distants, you qualify.

I asked the CSR specifically about being able to get the CBS HD without paying the $1.50, and she put me on hold for a while and then came back on to confirm I still had to pay the $1.50 for the SD and the HD.

I'm not sure how I can get my locals and still get the CBS and NBC distants, but I'm glad I do. Next project is to attempt getting a signal with an antenna, but it's doubtful since www.antennaweb.org says I have to have the most powerful antenna to pickup one station somewhere in the North GA mountians I've never heard of before. :?

Big Wood,
You should have no major problems getting the Atlanta DTV stations. Ask these guys.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/messages

sinnfein07, an area that qualifies for distant nets without needing a waiver is a white area. The availability of your locals via Dish doesn't change that. So you are allowed to subscribe to your locals because your address is in the DMA and you can also get up to 2 distant nets because your address is in an unserved (by broadcast) area.

Here are the qualification methods: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/cbshd/index.shtml

Kevinw,
I read posts on that site a lot. I'm going to try the loaner antenna from that group to see if its even possible to get anything. My problem is I live in a hole, the lowlands of Nicholson (I have Athens as my location because most people have never heard of Nicholson before, which is slightly north of Athens). There is a ridge between my house and Jefferson that causes problems. Until they placed a cell tower a mile away a couple of years ago, cell phones and pagers didn't even work.

Happen to know of any local "competent" antenna installers? My search has netted guys that ask "What's high definition?" That line sends shivers down my spine! brrrrr...

CBSHD waivers

I'm looking for anyone with experience in seeking waivers for CBS-HD programming. Currently in the Dallas-Fort Worth area where the major CBS station is corporate (should qualify) but apparently there is another station some 60 miles north of us which is an affiliate. Has anyone been successful in obtaining a waiver to receive CBS-HD, or am I at the mercy of a station I can't get without shifting my antenna 180 degrees?

Is that station 60 miles north of you a grade B signal. If it is, then you would need a waiver.
If it isnt, you should be ok.
Where I use to live was in Minneapolis DMA (Mpls CBS is an O&O) but 55-60 miles SW of us was a CBS affiliate, but we didnt need a waiver because that wasnt a grade B signal.
Use this link and see if that station is a Grade B..It will tell you ALL Networks within a grade B of your area.
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and my local CBS is from Miami (CBS corp. owned). I had to get a waiver from CBS in W. Palm Beach (about 70 miles away and not CBS owned). I send an email to the station manager and requsted a waiver and it was granted because I am not in their primary coverage area. It did take a few days to get the waiver. So it is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)