CC disappeared on my HD Set w/722

shantyman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Fairfield, OH
For some reason, the captions are not displaying on my HD set (via component) with my 722. They show up just fine on the 2nd TV which is an SDTV. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have reset all the caption settings to no avail.

For some reason, the captions are not displaying on my HD set (via component) with my 722. They show up just fine on the 2nd TV which is an SDTV. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have reset all the caption settings to no avail.
Keep in mind that many if not most HD programs are not closed captioned yet.

Last edited:
Last year I had problems with 622 HD captions on ABC, this year it is 722 on NBC.
To check whether there are captions go to the SD outputs--RCA or RF--and turn on TV's CC.
If they are not there then they were not recorded.

Some times I can get them back by toggling off and on the CC--
Menu-8-8-1-left-select-right-done-view and repeat.
Sometimes, just backing up and going forward or changing channels works.
Many times nothing helps.
-Ken

Last year I had problems with 622 HD captions on ABC, this year it is 722 on NBC.
To check whether there are captions go to the SD outputs--RCA or RF--and turn on TV's CC.
If they are not there then they were not recorded.

Some times I can get them back by toggling off and on the CC--
Menu-8-8-1-left-select-right-done-view and repeat.
Sometimes, just backing up and going forward or changing channels works.
Many times nothing helps.
-Ken

With the exception of the VOOM channels, UNIHD and BRAVOHD (may be a couple of other Universal/NBC HD channels that I've missed), captioning is available on many if not most of the HD channels.

If you have locals in HD, you should see all of these captioned if the program is CC'd.

I have a 622 that can lose captioning on TV1 when TV2 is turned on. This doesn't happen all the time but when it drops out, it is due to TV2 being on at the same time as TV1. TV1 captioning is decoded by the receiver and TV2 captioning is decoded by the television set. So you may see captioning on one set and not the other if the receiver is having problems with its decoder function (which has been a problem on the 622).

I've had some success with cycling the "Info" button if I notice the drop out on TV1 when it happens, but I've never been able to get the captioning back by toggling the captioning ON/OFF in set up. The only way that I can usually get it back is to use the power button re-set function (hold it in for 15 seconds to re-boot the receiver). If you're recording when the captioning drops out, wait until the recording is finished before rebooting. The captioning may not show at the time but it is still available and when you reset the receiver, the show will then display the CC data.

If you cannot get captioning on either the 622 or 722 by turning TV2 off and recycling power on the receiver, then I'd suggest that the receiver is not doing its job and should be replaced. I've had this problem before with cable boxes too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts