CC Problems

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Here is what I have observed and confirmed regarding a problem with Closed Captions:

1. From the HOPPER, if one is viewing a live (or delayed) program from the FIRST tuner listed (being the TOP tuner listed), CC functions. If one viewing a LIVE (or delayed) program for the SECOND tuner listed, the CC does NOT appear at all. If I want CC to appear, I have to use the FIRST tuner, or go JOIN that FIRST tuner and tune it to the same as the 2nd and CC does appear. That is the only way I can get CC to appear; I must use FIRST tuner listed.

2. From HOPPER: If I playback a DVR recording and I want CC to appear, I MUST first tune to the tuner (FIRST listed) that is displaying CC, and then select my recording for playback in order for my previous recording to display CC. If I have the NON-CC displaying tuner, then my recording WON'T display CC, either.

3. From the Joeys: CC seems to always appear and function. No big complaints there.

Dish, can you please work on this and fix it. It is annoying and I do sometimes swap to the background tuner while watching recording, but can't use it much because it won't display CC. Thanks.

Has anyone else experienced this or can they recreate it?

UPDATE: One change from last night is that now I am now finding that it may not matter if it is FIRST (top) tuner or second tuner. However, the rest of the behavior is the same as posted above. Really annoying.

I have found that pressing the * key that zooms in, then selecting normal ( meaning no change) and pressing the big "select" button restores CC to the program I am watching. Then I back up the program to replay what I missed. Seems to work better if the program is paused first. This problem occurred while still on the previous software version when I had to press * repeatedly to scroll through the selections and back to normal.

Ben

I find the lingering CC annoying as well, but I'll take that to the CC having only appear for half a second. That is far more annoying. So, we may have to live with that. What I do is skip back then press SELECT or CANCEL to display the banner which prevents CC from displaying so that I can see the screen that was obscured by the CC such as super-title for who is speaking. A PITA, but MUCH better than the previous problem of CC displaying only for a flash. There was no workaround for that one.

Another thing that can happen is that the CC may not display at all. However, I have found that in EVERY case, if I press CANCEL to force the banner to display, the CC begins displaying once the banner clears or you hasten it by pressing CANCEL again to clear the banner ASAP. While this is a bit of a annoyance, I am HAPPY to deal with this than the previous problem of not having the CC display at all for long periods.

Using the SHADOW option for CC, I notice that in almost every display, at least one letter or character (often more) is displayed all messed up. Usually I can make sense of it, sometimes I have to skip back and the same CC will have different characters display messed up. I would say this problem is worth Dish fixing. I'm afraid if they attempt to fix the other problems mentioned above, they will break it even worse. Right now, it is an improvement to past CC issues on the Hopper, even with the annoyances.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)