CE for the weekend of 10-17

Everybody ready ?

Hello,

So, the HR34-700 CE this weekend is listed as "HIGH RISK".

What exactly does this mean?

I'm not likely to download this weekend due to this, but, just for my knowledge. I'm OK with beta-testing. I've been a beta-tester. "However", the reason I'm CE is the first place is I was at my wits end with the performance of the HR34 on the National Release software. That being said, the current version I'm on which I downloaded last week I believe, is working flawlessly. I don't want to be back in the boat I was in before if this high risk download "hoses" my receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

So, the HR34-700 CE this weekend is listed as "HIGH RISK".

What exactly does this mean?

I'm not likely to download this weekend due to this, but, just for my knowledge. I'm OK with beta-testing. I've been a beta-tester. "However", the reason I'm CE is the first place is I was at my wits end with the performance of the HR34 on the National Release software. That being said, the current version I'm on which I downloaded last week I believe, is working flawlessly. I don't want to be back in the boat I was in before if this high risk download "hoses" my receiver.

Thanks in advance.
High Risk generally means they are starting a new series of software.

Theres Always the chance of something being messed up with beta software, or it wouldn't be Beta software.

Personally, I think I have d/led every CE that I stay awake for since they started doing this for the public.

Software is in the Data stream for most models

D/Ling now.

I cannot get either of my non-Genie HD-DVR's to fire off with the download.

I've tried over and over.

I'm almost certain I'm doing it right.

How late in the start-up cycle is too late?

In the past, it's pretty much just started downloading for me.

I cannot get either of my non-Genie HD-DVR's to fire off with the download.

I've tried over and over.

I'm almost certain I'm doing it right.

How late in the start-up cycle is too late?

In the past, it's pretty much just started downloading for me.
Software will be in the stream till 2-2:30 am.

I've got a question related to the "stream".

How is it that folks know the software is "in the stream now"?

Is there some sort of data card that allows them to tune to the right channel and see on a computer what is being transmitted?

I remember having such a card for FTA, but, I don't know if it works with DTV.

0972 hr44

On demand, browse by channel, error (channel) not currently available.

Going through what's new and other sections work just not by channel.

Menu, search and browse, on demand, what's new works as does the other entries like TV, movies etc.

Browse by channel, as opposed to the other entries, does not. Regardless of channel selected an error pops up saying it's not available.

Let me critique these changes a bit:

Showing the Season and Episode in the Info or in the quick view (guide area when program highlighted) is great. Nice change.

Showing this info in the list view is very poor and cluttered. What would be better is adding a "NEW" tag to new shows (first run) and leaving the season and episode for the info area. It just looks really cluttered as is .

In addition, spacing in the list view could be much better. You're leaving space on the table between the episode title / date recorded / time recorded that area could be tightened up some to offer more space for the title. In addition that margin on the left is unnecessary.

Guide area, why only 1.5 hours? Why the space at the bottom of the guide? Why the space over the title between the PIP and cover art? Why the space to the left of the PIP? Why not move the title art at the top right to be centered under the date and time and the PIP on the left side of the screen so it gives more room for the title info in the center? Lots of wasted space.

There should also be a showing for programs which are first run to show "NEW" next to the name. Similar to what TiVo does. Its a nice feature and it should be copied.

List sorting by date isn't working. Sorts by title which places then in order of season number instead. Selecting another option and going back produces same results.

Guide scroll speed when moving side ways is about 15 to 20% slower imo than current release.

Last edited:
For the most part the HR34-700 GUI on NR 0929 was working well when my other HRs were on NR. But since I put all my HR24s on CE 0911 this weekend, the GUI on the HR34 is back back to slow loading.

Let me critique these changes a bit:

Showing the Season and Episode in the Info or in the quick view (guide area when program highlighted) is great. Nice change.

Showing this info in the list view is very poor and cluttered. What would be better is adding a "NEW" tag to new shows (first run) and leaving the season and episode for the info area. It just looks really cluttered as is .

In addition, spacing in the list view could be much better. You're leaving space on the table between the episode title / date recorded / time recorded that area could be tightened up some to offer more space for the title. In addition that margin on the left is unnecessary.

Guide area, why only 1.5 hours? Why the space at the bottom of the guide? Why the space over the title between the PIP and cover art? Why the space to the left of the PIP? Why not move the title art at the top right to be centered under the date and time and the PIP on the left side of the screen so it gives more room for the title info in the center? Lots of wasted space.

There should also be a showing for programs which are first run to show "NEW" next to the name. Similar to what TiVo does. Its a nice feature and it should be copied.
I'll have to wait to get the software to give my opinion ...
However, from what your saying is they now have the info that you guys have craved, but your now still not happy.
Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

I'll have to wait to get the software to give my opinion ...
However, from what your saying is they now have the info that you guys have craved, but your now still not happy.
Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

So you haven't seen it, but think a suggestion about how its presented in a couple of areas could be better is complaining? Yet you haven't even seen what is there... k.

In general, including the current live guide, there is a lot of wasted space. They could tighten it up and include a little more info. Those margins on the left and right are pretty useless and extend the entire screen on both sides. That space there doesn't really serve any purpose and takes away from what can been seen in the info portion. Same with the guide area, that huge margin on the side of the channel numbers is wasted space. Moving that stuff to left align wouldn't impact readability one bit and give some extra room for show names or they could bump the resolution a tiny bit and fit another half our and maybe a couple rows of channels.

One other thing, why do we have HD in the channel names when all the shows list HD next to the show? Wasted space again.

It doesn't have to be packed with info or anything but having so much wasted space could add another half hour to the guide or expand the show info some without it impacting readability if they used the space a little better.

As for the changes, Listing your recorded shows:

<huge space still> S24 | E22 Jimmy goes to hell Yesterday <huge space> 10:30p 229 HGTV

And sorting by the S24 when title is selected is a bug. I don't care to have the season and episode number in that particular view (attached to the show name like it is) its nice to have in the show info on top though. If they add the possibility to sort by episode and season that would be nice but its not there yet. Perhaps its coming. Having the extra info in that part isn't the end of the world but expressing my dislike for it in that particular spot is what should be done.

Better location for it would be the giant margin to the left of the show title instead of it being added to the show name string which is very likely given the sorting error.

Pointing out you have a huge gap to the left which is again, wasted space and another gap between Yesterday and the time is again, wasted space and constructive criticism. Sorry you took it as complaining.

No, I have not seen it yet, I don't have the particular model they sent it out on.

I am sure there are things that can be improved upon, there always are .

No one knows if they are done with this or if this piece of software is just the beginning.

Hopefully I get the software this weekend.

I don't mean to complain too much, but like I said before, you got info that you were asking for, to some extent and still not happy ...
I agree from what you've said, theres room for improvement and that may be coming ... this could be step 1 of 10 you just don't know..
Years ago I saw D* implement software (not beta) that added to its self each week for about 2 months before the whole idea was shown ... it was small increments of a much larger plan with the software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)