CEDIA-2004: VOOM

Ilya said:
They wouldn't give any specific price estimates, but my understanding is that a combination of one server and multipple clients, may actually cost less compared to having multible DSR-550's.

That means nothing if leasing a 550 is as cheap as getting breast implants.
:confused:

Sean Mota said:
On the same note: (CAT5) TCP/IP Ethernet pass HD feed without degradation? What were they using at the demo?

How do you mean degradation? :confused:

Bandwidth-wise 100Mbit is enough for 5 HD simultaneous streams...

Strange they didn't mention OpenTV at all

OpenTV to Showcase Several Advanced Interactive Television Solutions at IBC 2004

Monday September 6, 3:00 am ET

Demonstrations of Innovative Solutions to Occur September 10 - 14 in Amsterdam

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 6, 2004--OpenTV (Nasdaq:OPTV - News), one of the world's leading interactive television companies, will demonstrate various innovative advertising, gaming, commerce and on-demand solutions for cable, satellite, and terrestrial operators at the International Broadcasting Conference (IBC) in Amsterdam September 10 - 14, 2004.
The demonstrations, supporting the latest digital television technology advancements including PVR, HDTV, and IPTV, will be held in Booth 1.121, Hall A, and will include:

Multi-room PVR Solutions - enabling PVR functionality on multiple TV's within the subscriber's home. OpenTV will be demonstrating this whole home offering with Ucentric.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040906/65036_2.html

Since Voom didn't even have a DVR prototype at the show, it sounds to me like the DVR intro is a long way off, maybe the first quarter of 2005. As much as I'd like to have a DVR, there's no way I'm forking over big bucks for one, especially with Voom's future in doubt. My local cable company charges only $3.95 a month for their HD DVR (Moto 6412), but of course they charge a lot more for relatively few HD channels ($55 a month for basic + digital + basic HD channels).

How can anyone think this is a demonstration of a DVR when its running on a PC? There is NO DVR, there is NO prototype. What the Hell is going on here?

Some additional information from UCENTRIC

Press Release Source: Ucentric Systems

OpenTV and Ucentric to Show Whole Home Entertainment Solution

Sunday September 5, 9:00 pm ET

Joint Approach to be Featured at IBC2004

Ucentric Also Featuring Whole Home Showcase With Samsung

MAYNARD, Mass., Sept. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- OpenTV, one of the world's leading interactive television companies and Ucentric Systems, a leading provider of home media networking software, are teaming up to demonstrate whole home entertainment offerings to OpenTV's customers worldwide. The two companies are nearing completion of their first joint deployment with Cablevision's VOOM, an HDTV DBS operator in North America. The integrated solution for VOOM will include ITV from OpenTV and Ucentric's Whole Home DVR, Whole Home Music and Whole Home Photo applications.

Ucentric's software manages an IP-based digital home media network that runs over existing phone, cable or power lines in the home. The joint demonstration with OpenTV and Ucentric software will utilize very low cost IP media clients to enable the complete set of ITV, DVR and digital media and communications services to all connected locations in the home. OpenTV and Ucentric will feature the multi-room entertainment experience in the OpenTV booth (#1.121) at the 2004 International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam, September 10-14.

"As an industry matures the focus often shifts from basic market penetration to increased Average Revenue Per Unit (ARPU). Media home networking provides the most affordable way to enable additional outlets for revenues to flow from ITV and other operator services," said Michael Collette, Ucentric chief executive officer. "It is clear now that consumers are willing to pay for DVR services. Those who have DVR want DVR functionality on all the TVs in the home. OpenTV has been a pioneer and leader in bringing compelling interactive TV services to viewers worldwide and with our IP-based solution we are providing one of the most advanced and cost efficient whole home experiences available on the market today."

Ucentric will also showcase a demo with Samsung (booth #3.311) at IBC2004. The company will demonstrate multi-TV networking capability using a Samsung media center and Ucentric's Whole Home DVR, Whole Home Music and Whole Home Photo applications.

Ucentric's Whole-Home DVR application creates a single recording library, shared among multiple television sets that allows users to independently record, pause, play, rewind and fast forward live or recorded programming from any TV in the network. Additional applications available from Ucentric include Whole-Home Music and Whole-Home Photo applications that allow users to access, share, and transfer their complete digital music and photo collections to any connected device in the home.

Ucentric works with leading players in the cable, telecommunications and digital home industries. In addition to VOOM, Samsung and OpenTV, the company has announced a vendor relationship with Motorola to bring home entertainment solutions to the market. Ucentric also has trialed Multi-TV DVR and Whole-Home Music with Comcast and Samsung.

About Ucentric Systems

Ucentric is a leading provider of home media networking software for the new digital home. Its patented technology enables the secure, high quality digital distribution of HD and SD video signals from broadcast, satellite or cable sources to all connected rooms in the home, over low-cost, in-home wired or wireless networks. Ucentric's embedded software platform provides CE manufacturers and operators maximum integration and branding flexibility for enabling multi-TV DVR, whole-home music and other networking applications for advanced set-top boxes, home media servers and entertainment PCs.

Ucentric is a member of the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) and the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Forum and actively supports CableLab's Open Cable initiative. Based in Maynard, Massachusetts, Ucentric is backed by Polaris Venture Partners. For more information, please visit www.ucentric.com.

dtsfanohio said:
I agree... I was CES 2004 at the Voom booth and I specifically asked it Summer 2004 was realistic for launch of the DVR/Ucentric networking as they were demonstrating. The guy say "yes, it looks very realistic"..so...actions speak louder than words!

That's exactly why it is a smart policy NOT to announce any specific timetables. There are always unexpected delays.

By the way, "realistic chance" means nothing. Even if the product is delayed by months or years or entirely canceled the company may always say that they had a "realistic chance" of delivering it "as initially planned." ;)

It's a little disheartening that there was no DVR hardware to show, although having all the software in place and demoing it is a good thing. Voom doesn't make the DVR, Motorola does, so wouldn't the delay be with Motorola getting their hardware bugs and chipsets figured out? I'm 100% sure that Voom has to have a prototype to be working on software with.. BUT.. that prototype could have flaws and not worth showing at a booth. If it crashes, or locks up, or can't tune multiple channels right now, showing it at the CEDIA could seriously hurt Voom more than impress us diehard subs.

So now I'll fall back on the hope that Sean's "Around November, maybe before" time is correct, according to a different press release about Motorola they were aiming for end of this year or early 2005 to have their product ready with Ucentric. It seems Voom has first shot at releasing theirs since they've been partnered with all 3 from before.

Also we maybe looking at two different things like Scott G. mentioned, once Moto has the DVR ready for production, Voom looks to have all the software there, we might have a working DVR's ready for shipping this year, with Ucentric boxes ready by early 2005. Which is fine by me... 1 DVR would be real, real nice with the fall TV schedule already starting up, with football and stuff... it's going to be harder to juggle, work, family and TV. TV will take last place, and I will not be able to schedule being home from 6pm - Midnight and make sure I watch all I want to see.

I'm sure Voom knows this, I'm going to wait and see, I haven't lost faith at all.

1080i stated November. I just said that there may be some truth to this date. Nothing confirmed nothing set in stone.

Sorry but you and 1080i came out and said the same thing, aiming for this last quarter 2004, early 2005 at the lastest.. it's not a press release, but someone's been saying something behind the scenes for a reason.

vurbano said:
How can anyone think this is a demonstration of a DVR when its running on a PC? There is NO DVR, there is NO prototype. What the Hell is going on here?

I'm amazed that you seem to be the only one really upset about this latest "demo". Either a DVR is not that big of a deal to most Voomers or they don't mind being strung along on this issue because they are hoping it will blow away the competition.

Dvlos said:
it's not a press release, but someone's been saying something behind the scenes for a reason.

Could the reason be....

To give you false hope which might keep you from cancelling Voom?

surely not

I honestly believe we WILL see a DVR from VOOM at the end of the year.

My big fear is that there will be a limited supply of the units at launch.

You can almost guarantee this Scott, If Voom has 30,000 subs and the lease for the DVR is reasonable they are going to get 29,995 calls for a DVR that day. Also, "stringing" people along has a way of backfiring, as eventually you will cancel and never look back.

Also Voom rushed their product to market and look at all the bugs the STBs had, how many people canceled because of that? Couldn't even wait a few weeks in some cases to have their issues resolved. To keep txcruiser happy, they could launch the DVR, then the waves of "OMG when I press 1 it records the wrong show!!" thread starts appearing everywhere.

Sorry I hope Voom doesn't take too long, but if I had a choice A) Release the DVR October 1st with bugs and work through them, or B) Release the DVR November 30th with hardly any problems I'm going to have to say judging from the attitudes on this forum as a reference, go with option B.

I would love to be a beta tester I think I am vocal and patient enough to work through problems but 90% of subs are not, one bug and they would get all cynical and be like "OMG 1 year wait for the DVR THIS IS UNNACCEPTABLE ID RATHER PAY $1,000 with D*!!"

I dont think they are stringing people along, they want the DVR as much as you and I do, the problem is getting the hardware, VOOM would love to call moterola and order 30,000 units and have them delivered the next day. Unfortunately it does not work like that.

VOOM should start taking pre-orders of the DVR. It will add credibility and additionally, help figure out how many they should build.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I dont think they are stringing people along, they want the DVR as much as you and I do, the problem is getting the hardware, VOOM would love to call moterola and order 30,000 units and have them delivered the next day. Unfortunately it does not work like that.

All this time I was thinking it was Voom, but now it's Motorola? Shouldn't Voom had realized they needed approx 30,000 units several months ago since the subscriber numbers aren't vastly changing these days?