Cellular Data, How Much Do You Use?

Steve Mehs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Marilla, NY
Just happen to log on to my Sprint Account Management and was kind of floored when I saw how much data I used this month. 3.6GB, good thing I dumped AT&T. :)

And this is cell phone only, no teathering.

sprintp.jpg

I do between 2.0-3.5GB depending on what I am doing. Since I have T-Mobile G2 my roms have been getting flashed and rotated so at a 126MB per it goes quickly. It is nice having HSPA+ which competes with Sprint 4G on the Epic and Evo.

With 5 days before my billing cycle, I have used .86GB of data. In the months when I tether, my usage usually triples, but pretty much always under 3GB. I am surprised this month's usage has been so low, considering I just got the new Droid and have been using it constantly.

(I could have sworn I posted in this thread last night, but I look at it now, and its gone. Strange. Must never have hit the actuall post button. :)

I vary from 500mb to 3gb. Most months under 1GB since I have wifi at home and work. Only when I go on the road do I go way up in usage.

I'm with Sprint too, never really look at my data usage seeing it's included ...
My plan ends tomorrow I think, I'll have to look, but I don't use it all that much.

Edit:

Sprint Data Unlimited 149,490

Is this low or avg ?

Those are crazy numbers. What are you using your phone for even when you are NOT tethering....

I pretty much live on my phone... I work for a microwave wireless internet service provider, so I am never really around wireless. I am pretty much always using the 3g, and I do a lot of email, remote desktop connections back to servers, ect. And then on the personal side of my usage, I download a lot of podcasts, audio and video to listen to throughout my day. I would think those would add up quite a bit.

And my wife is hard of hearing, and I have a lot of deaf friends, so I do a lot of video messages back and forth using sign language.

It all adds up I guess...

The most data I ever used in a month was when I spent a month living with my Dad when he came home from rehab about 2 years ago. Some of you may recall when I did that. I tethered my cell phone to my desktop I had with me and watched sling box classic streaming from 6 PM until about 2 AM each day. My plan is unlimited but even with that usage I only hit about 9 Gb. Most months I travel and do a bunch of tethering, I hit about 4Gb mostly due to sling box access. When not traveling and not tethering, the data drops to an average of 2.5 Gb which is mostly auto downloading of podcasts as they appear on the net. We have just the 25 Mb plan on my wife's phone but she only uses about 10 to 15 Mb each month. Most of her volume is on the company phone which I don't see the bill for, neither does she.

Before I picked up my iPhone 4, I checked with a couple of people I knew who owned iPhones and asked to see their data usage. The one road warrior (automotive customer representative) had used 3 GB over 2 years. I am usually within WiFi range, and Starbucks/McDonalds are everywhere, so I went with the 200 MB/mo. plan on AT&T. I thought it was going to be a problem, but I'm rarely over 100 MB/mo. The most I used was when my family was on vacation, but I haven't gone over 200 MB in a month (yet). I also have the AT&T app that let's me see my voice and data usage at a moment's notice.
Cellular data rates are a rippoff if you ask me
How about texting costs? 20¢ for 140 characters? Obscene...

I use a bit more data than my wife does...

wife.jpgme.jpg

Have to consider switching her from the $30/mo unlimited plan to the $15/mo capped plan. Don't think it's available on "America's Choice" FamilyShare plan though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)