Center channel speaker location?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I used to have a big old 60" rear projection HD set. It sat on the floor, had a nice picture, and I'd keep my center channel speaker on top of the set. No issues with it.

Moved into a new house, got rid of the rear projection and bought a nice 60" LED-LCD which is mounted on the wall. It is very thin and the picture is great. I recently bought a center channel speaker bracket so I can mount the center on the wall below the set...

...problem is, with the new screens being so slim, the center channel looks kind of ridiculous sticking so far out of the wall underneath the set. Would I notice much degredation in sound if I put the center channel above the set?!? It would be much closer to the ceiling than when I used to have it sitting on the rear projection.

Just wondering...I want good sound, but I don't need a speaker popping out of the wall to go "BAM! Here's your sound system!"

'preciate any tips. Maybe I should just keep it on top of the entertainment cabinet below the set. I was hoping to clean things up by wall mounting.

Your only real choice is going to be to replace at least the center, and you are going to be forced to compromise some way.

I'd say the best aesthetic alternatives are in-wall, soundbar in center mode, or something like the Martin Logan that is a bit thinner by design.

Most of those will require replacing all the speakers because it will be difficult to get something that matches the sound of the center. Unfortunately, the center is the key to a balanced system.

I decided to compromise both sonically and aesthetically for the new house. I bought smaller speakers and a sub, and placed a credenza below the set. I put the center on the credenza and then placed the mains at the same height. It is a little low to be ideal, but it looks OK.

Thanks Jay, I didn't know that about the balancing. I currently have what I believe are matched B&W sides and center. They look to be the same model line and I bought them at the same time. I've been very happy with them.

I guess I'll deal with the credenza or mount on the wall. I was watching a movie last night and realized that with the lights dimmed or off for a movie, you really don't notice the large center protruding from the wall anyway. And it'd be kind of wasteful for me to buy new speakers just for aesthetics. (but I have to admit, when I read the first part of your post I started dreaming of a long flat soundbar center channel under my set...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)