Center Ice HD

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Dont get me wrong, I love Dish since getting it a few months back, and one major reason I switched to satellite was to get Center Ice in HD, but what gives with the scarcity of games in HD. I will watch games and in the local market it would be an HD game, but I only get the SD feed. D* seems to have a lot more games broadcast in HD for CI. Is this a limit on the bandwidth with the current satellites, or does dish just not want to pay to have all possible HD games broadcast in HD on CI. I am sure there is a reason, just curious if anyone knows, because obviously they are available if D* is broadcasting them...

Dont get me wrong, I love Dish since getting it a few months back, and one major reason I switched to satellite was to get Center Ice in HD, but what gives with the scarcity of games in HD. I will watch games and in the local market it would be an HD game, but I only get the SD feed. D* seems to have a lot more games broadcast in HD for CI. Is this a limit on the bandwidth with the current satellites, or does dish just not want to pay to have all possible HD games broadcast in HD on CI. I am sure there is a reason, just curious if anyone knows, because obviously they are available if D* is broadcasting them...

I don't have CI, so I can't say for sure, but based on the lack of HD Red Wings games aired on Center Ice (almost every home Red Wings Game is aired on Fox Sports Detroit in HD), I believe it is a lack of bandwidth.

I don't see how they would be charged extra to air it on Center Ice when they are already airing it on the HD Channel. Also, others have mentioned that there is only a certain number of HD Games they can air (something like 7) on any given night.

Geoff

Dish does not have HD contracts with many of the RSN's and therefore cannot broadcast the HD games on CI. These RSN's include: msg and nesn and others as well as the Canadian feeds -- tsn, cbc, etc.

Most of the Red Wings home games are in HD on CI (fsn).

errrrrr, that would explain it....I knew there was a reason I have never seen a bruins game in hd...

I could only wish they would at least have CBC in HD, especially this saturday for Hockey Day in Canada.

errrrrr, that would explain it....I knew there was a reason I have never seen a bruins game in hd...

I could only wish they would at least have CBC in HD, especially this Saturday for Hockey Day in Canada.

It does not seem that any one has any CBC HD games. The folks over on DBStalk are having the same complaints on the D* forums.
I have never seen any Canadian feed in HD except for NHL net.

I don't know about DirecTV, but cable has had a few HNIC (hockey night in canada) games in HD. The next one is 2/23.
http://www.indemand.com/sports/nhl/schedule/nhlScheduleHD.pdf
According to two different conversations I've had with DISH special events, Dish bids for the Center Ice HD games. This is supposedly why some games are on the RSN-HD game in market and not on CI. I had this happen with a Kings/Avs game a while back, it was one Altitude HD, but not in the CI-HD channels. I don't for a second believe that Dish really pays extra for the CI-HD games, because if that was the case I doubt we'd see any CI-HD games.

I don't know about DirecTV, but cable has had a few HNIC (hockey night in canada) games in HD. The next one is 2/23.
http://www.indemand.com/sports/nhl/schedule/nhlScheduleHD.pdf
According to two different conversations I've had with DISH special events, Dish bids for the Center Ice HD games. This is supposedly why some games are on the RSN-HD game in market and not on CI. I had this happen with a Kings/Avs game a while back, it was one Altitude HD, but not in the CI-HD channels. I don't for a second believe that Dish really pays extra for the CI-HD games, because if that was the case I doubt we'd see any CI-HD games.

Dish may bid on HD CI games, but I understand that they do have HD contracts with msg, nesn et al and therefore do not provide any HD coverage to the Dish subscribers of those RSN's. So they cannot bid on HD games on CI unless they already have the rights to show these games in HD to their RSN subscribers...which they don't for these RSN's. That is why you have not seen one HD CI game on msg, etc. this season...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts