Center Ice

gdodd12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
So I am assuming we will have another year of very few HD feeds on Center Ice. Why does DTV have pretty much every game in HD on their CI, but Dish has almost none?

Havent looked further on down the guide but all the games being played tonight are being shown in HD. (There are only 4, 3 of the 4 have HD feeds from both cities.) Bait and switch perhaps? On the bright side, if the NBA gets locked out more bandwidth will be available!

So I am assuming we will have another year of very few HD feeds on Center Ice. Why does DTV have pretty much every game in HD on their CI, but Dish has almost none?

Directv has agreements with MSG and Dish doesnt which right there is 4 teams worth (Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Sabres)
Canadian team games other than the Leafs on RSN Ontario will be in SD on both providers

Directv has agreements with MSG and Dish doesnt which right there is 4 teams worth (Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Sabres)
Canadian team games other than the Leafs on RSN Ontario will be in SD on both providers

Is there any word on Dish trying to get agreements for those HD feeds? As a Flyers fan, it would be great to see those games in HD.

MSG and Dish haven't seen eye to eye since a year ago now. MSG went away with the FOX Sports RSNs at this time last year, and never came back wen FSN did. CSN Philly has yet to get on Satellite. What Satellite and Cable needs to do is force out SD for any channel/network broadcasting in HD. Maybe then, Center Ice will carry the HD Broadcasts, and not the SD ones, while expecting the TV Provider to supply the HD feed. Becuase Canada's primary sport is Hockey, they IMO do a much better job covering Hockey than NBC/VS. and even ABC/ESPN before the lockout. I love to watch the TSN and CBC games (Especially for the Coach's Corner on CBC), but since we don't get these channels in the United States, we only get the SD feed on Center Ice.

What we also need to do, is put Canadian coverage back on the NHL Network, or do what TSN does. Create a Versus 2 and put the TSN games on that channel, just like TSN2 broadcasts the Versus games. There's pleanty of ways to get it done, but the American cash cow will always reign supreme. That'why the NHL Network stopped covering HNIC and now we need to pay for Center Ice to watch it in SD Craptasticvision.

Last edited:

Well ALL the CI SD channels have an HD twin on Dish.
This past weekend most SD feeds had the twin HD feed also other than the Canadian only feeds and as others in this topic have pointed out that's the way it is for ALL providers.
It does NOT pay to assume when you really don't know any thing.

Well ALL the CI SD channels have an HD twin on Dish.
This past weekend most SD feeds had the twin HD feed also other than the Canadian only feeds and as others in this topic have pointed out that's the way it is for ALL providers.
It does NOT pay to assume when you really don't know any thing.

When the flyers feed is picked up, there is no csn HD "twin", so it is just SD feed. Also, this is the most HD Dish CI has had since forever. The past years have been noticeably lacking in HD feeds. Even with their "twins", dish has notoriously had less HD coverage then DTV. I don't get why people have to be douchebags when they answer questions...

MSG and Dish haven't seen eye to eye since a year ago now. MSG went away with the FOX Sports RSNs at this time last year, and never came back wen FSN did. CSN Philly has yet to get on Satellite. What Satellite and Cable needs to do is force out SD for any channel/network broadcasting in HD. Maybe then, Center Ice will carry the HD Broadcasts, and not the SD ones, while expecting the TV Provider to supply the HD feed. Becuase Canada's primary sport is Hockey, they IMO do a much better job covering Hockey than NBC/VS. and even ABC/ESPN before the lockout. I love to watch the TSN and CBC games (Especially for the Coach's Corner on CBC), but since we don't get these channels in the United States, we only get the SD feed on Center Ice.

What we also need to do, is put Canadian coverage back on the NHL Network, or do what TSN does. Create a Versus 2 and put the TSN games on that channel, just like TSN2 broadcasts the Versus games. There's pleanty of ways to get it done, but the American cash cow will always reign supreme. That'why the NHL Network stopped covering HNIC and now we need to pay for Center Ice to watch it in SD Craptasticvision.

So basically it doesn't look like the HD feeds of MSG's family of networks are coming anytime soon. Thanks for the info.

When the flyers feed is picked up, there is no csn HD "twin", so it is just SD feed. Also, this is the most HD Dish CI has had since forever. The past years have been noticeably lacking in HD feeds. Even with their "twins", dish has notoriously had less HD coverage then DTV. I don't get why people have to be douchebags when they answer questions...

Ok I just checked today there is only SD for the Flyers and Vancouver, note Flyers game is on CSN and Vancouver is from Canada neither of which provide HD to DISH.
But on Saturday the Flyers play the Kings and there is HD & SD from the Kings but there is NO feed of any kind from the Flyers.
I don't know why CSN does not provide the HD feed to Dish but I don't think they provide it to any other provider either in this I am not sure.
I think that some provider has taken CSN to court over this refusal

I just checked the guide on D* and Saturday there is only one feed period and that is the Kings feed (in both SD & HD). There is no Flyers feed available

Ok I just checked today there is only SD for the Flyers and Vancouver, note Flyers game is on CSN and Vancouver is from Canada neither of which provide HD to DISH.
But on Saturday the Flyers play the Kings and there is HD & SD from the Kings but there is NO feed of any kind from the Flyers.
I don't know why CSN does not provide the HD feed to Dish but I don't think they provide it to any other provider either in this I am not sure.
I think that some provider has taken CSN to court over this refusal

Since Comcast owns the Flyers, they don't want their team in HD on Dish (not sure about Direct). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with CSN not being available on Satellite in Philly, but it smells the same.

That SD picture for the Flyers-Devils game the other night was an absolute disgrace. I'll probably wait until after the new year, but I'm getting Game Center Live and either watch on my Roku (apparently there are some issues right now), or just put it on my PC and run it with HDMI to my TV via my A/V receiver.

Since Comcast owns the Flyers, they don't want their team in HD on Dish (not sure about Direct). I'm not sure if it has anything to do with CSN not being available on Satellite in Philly, but it smells the same.

That SD picture for the Flyers-Devils game the other night was an absolute disgrace. I'll probably wait until after the new year, but I'm getting Game Center Live and either watch on my Roku (apparently there are some issues right now), or just put it on my PC and run it with HDMI to my TV via my A/V receiver.

That devils/flyers picture was the worst picture I have ever seen on CI. Embarrassing for dish quite honestly. I was planning on leaving dish and going to Dtv this summer, but never got around to it. Also hoped they would work out their issues with MSG. Guess I will have to do it this upcoming summer.

gdodd12 said:
That devils/flyers picture was the worst picture I have ever seen on CI. Embarrassing for dish quite honestly. I was planning on leaving dish and going to Dtv this summer, but never got around to it. Also hoped they would work out their issues with MSG. Guess I will have to do it this upcoming summer.

Did you call and complain to dish? I put in a problem report and twittered my disappointment. The said said that "no one else was complaining" so it must be at my end.

Is there anyone at the NHL to complain to? Anyone we can get to before the game is over to verify the crappy quality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)