Central AC Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazmat626

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Lake Jackson, Texas
I'm going to replace my 15yo Carrier unit with one that is more effecient. I'm debating between two choices. A 16 seer Carrier or a 18 seer Rheem. The Carrier has been very dependable, but my electric bill during these Summer months has been off the chart. Does anyone have any experince with Rheem units? The difference in price is $748.00 with the Rheem being the cheapest.

Not sure you'll ever recoup enough savings to pay for the new unit. But you will be getting some peace of mind as far as longevity goes, I guess. When I replace mine, it will probably be with the highest seer I can find. And a scroll compressor. If it's not a scroll, it's an old, outdated unit, IMHO.

seer ratings are kind of bastardized in laboratories and don't often reflect real world running conditions. the differences in the seer ratings you mention may not really make much difference. The biggest difference you can make is not as much the unit you select but how you use your thermostat and how well your duct work air flow is balanced in the house. ducts that are properly sealed at the joints of the trunkline and branch ducts makes a big difference.

properly sized filter area for the tonage in your house. I have seen so many times filters that are too small for the units. bigger filters are always better. More air returns are usually better.

Insulation in your house is critical. a little insulation added wherever it can be will offset the biggest differences in seer ratings.

I have a package unit that is an 80 percent gas furnace and 3.5 ton a/c unit. everything is contained in the outside unit and the main trunks go through the foundation to the unit.

on the side of the unit i had a buddy who fabricates sheet metal at the local Hvac warehouse to fab up a filter rack that i mounted to the intake side on the outside unit that holds 20x20 filters. I have it so it will hold 5 filters. I use cheapo filters on the first two layers and more expensive pleated on the next three to catch the fine stuff. This mixes at least 50% outside air with my recirculated air. a damper controls the outside air amounts.

this will cool the house down during mild days with the fan set to "on" instead of auto.

it saves the compressor from running. saves you money. it keeps your house fresh and dilutes the toxics that are inside your home. I leave bathroom fans on too most of the time.

I have 150 cfm low sone nutone fans in the bedroom ceilings and bathrooms.
You can barely hear them and they keep the house nice and fresh.

I use an ultra violet light in the trunkline as well to minimize biological contaminates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)