CES-2013 PR: DISH’s New “Hopper with Sling” Delivers Unparalleled Choice and Control, at Home or On

That is MSRP--The price I would pay for a new one, no strings. I would think the new "Hopper with Sling" would be free or $99 with a commitment. I also think this is the next generation, as in, after a certain date, the original hopper would no longer be available. I also think that since the two work quite similarly, Dish will continue to support 1st gen hoppers for quite some time. (I could be wrong on all counts though. :p)

I assume that the Hopper "2G" will be able to integrate with a Hopper 1G on a two-Hopper system. (At least, as well as they do currently.) Is that correct?

I haven't confirmed it yet but I don't see why we wouldn't be able to have both. I'd like to get the new Hopper but I don't really need to swap out both of my current Hoppers. I would love to just swap out the one that I don't have a sling adapter on.

What about PTAT? Can you set it to convert these programs? I would hate it if it had to convert all channels and all programs. Is there a way to say only convert this program and potentially prioritize, without a separate timer?

Speaking of priority? Who wins when it comes to conversion? Is it simply the first recording the finishes starts? What happens if 2 recordings end at the same time? How does it resolve that conflict? Timer index? Alphabetical?

Yes, I find the new hopper underwhelming. I expected more tuners and or more ota tuners ,but built in sling? So I can sling my recorded shows to an I pad in SD ,NOT HD? I don't see any reason to upgrade to this one ,especially for another $99.00 price over the existing hopper price. Sling is over rated in my opinion. It has never lived up to the promises that were made in 2009 when they came out with the accursed 922. And still no ability to integrate two hoppers and combine all the shows and tuners on one interface. THat would be something I would like to see. Bigger hard drive and built in sling? I don't think so. I'll pass on this one.:confused:

What about PTAT? Can you set it to convert these programs? I would hate it if it had to convert all channels and all programs. Is there a way to say only convert this program and potentially prioritize, without a separate timer?

Speaking of priority? Who wins when it comes to conversion? Is it simply the first recording the finishes starts? What happens if 2 recordings end at the same time? How does it resolve that conflict? Timer index? Alphabetical?

You can transfer PTAT content via Hopper Transfers but the events you want to transfer must first be saved onto the Hopper hard drive from the PTAT folder.

Last edited:
Yippee! Before the holidays, we decided to come back to Dish and originally scheduled installation for the first convenient day which is this Saturday. I just called the contractors and we pushed out the install to the 26th so we can get the new hopper! I'm so glad I checked SatGuys for the lowdown on the newest features. Thank you so much for being such a wonderful resource!

Lack of add'l tuners is a major misfire on this one.

Yep. Slap the sling inside. Slap a wifi baseband chip inside. Slap a Directv nomad in it. Don't add new hardware of today. Explain why you don't need more than 3 tuners and call it new tech. Sounds just like Apple.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

Yep. Slap the sling inside. Slap a wifi baseband chip inside. Slap a Directv nomad in it. Don't add new hardware of today. Explain why you don't need more than 3 tuners and call it new tech. Sounds just like Apple.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

It's more then that, the new CPU has the Sling support in it. That CPU is what converts the pure mp4 stream and converts it to a usable sling format usable by the iPad (which is full retina resolution )

The magic is in the new CPU.

I think 2 Hopper is better then one hopper with 6 tuners anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)