CES: 3D bigger than ever!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
This year as predicted for CES- 3D continues to grow and become mainline for many companies. 3D glasses are still in but there are finally some really stylish ones to match high fasion sunglasses which is great for those who feel self conscious wearing the traditional real D glasses in a dark theater. The new designs are much lighter and fit comfortably.

New this year are Passive projectors using flat screen. Daylite is selling 3D virtual Gray which works well for 3D passive projectors without needing to go to a curved screen. Unfortunately, the projectors in this class are still very expensive.

Autostereo (Glasses free) is out in full swing and up to 46" screens. But, I'm not impressed with the range of Z-Depth of these screens yet except for one company, SeeCubic. I saw their glasses free technology and there was something different. It worked as good as the LG passive panels except it did not suffer vertical limitations on viewing angle. They took a different approach to how they make a glasses free monitor. All secret but it does not use the same screen surface. I was also quite surprised that I was able to capture superb 3D video shooting one of their screens. I have never been able to do that before. In fact I showed it to their senior engineer and he hadn't realized that was even possible. The popouts and depth were perfectly preserved in what I shot off their monitor. I will post this up on You Tube next week when I get back home. This is very exciting development for 3D. I spoke to the marketing guy there and he claims this will be out in the 2nd quarter but not sure the price target.

Other 3D auto stereo screens all seemed limited to Z depth of only 4-5" on a 46" panel.

Also, lots of push for 4K monitors and projectors. Saw JVC's demo version in 2D and 3D and Sony's in 2D only. JVC will have 3 projector models out. The high end will be $11999. A middle class for $7900 and a low end one for $3400.

LG plans to take the lead in 3D TVs in 2012 from Samsung. It claims that 80% of its entire line will be 3D ready, up from 30% in 2011. They also are introducing new 4K and OLED panels. The LG booth was packed shoulder to shoulder today and I didn't get much opportunity to see anything.

Last edited:
JVCs are already out. The X30 is 3499 and does not include frame interpolation or 4K support. The X70 and 90 do and are THX certified. In addition the 70 and 90 include lens memory for those the use a CIH lens.

S~

JVCs are already out. The X30 is 3499 and does not include frame interpolation or 4K support. The X70 and 90 do and are THX certified. In addition the 70 and 90 include lens memory for those the use a CIH lens.

S~

Right, and all three support 3D. I spoke to a rep there today and he said they are extremely backordered for all three. I asked if I ordered now how long, he said a couple months. I find that hard to believe but it tells me they are making per order rather than shipping from warehouse.

As much as some naysayers have been squawking... 3D has a presence at CES ...

Attachments

• 3D Bee.JPG
    3D Bee.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 177
  • 3D Bee1.JPG
    3D Bee1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 176
  • RCA 3D.JPG
    RCA 3D.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Aerial 3D.JPG
    Aerial 3D.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 183
  • no glasses 3D.JPG
    no glasses 3D.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 197
Here are some more people who when surveyed thought 3D was just all hype and don't think it will stick.

Attachments

• pirate_patch-leather.jpg
    pirate_patch-leather.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Eye Patches_2.jpg
    Eye Patches_2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 169
  • eye-patch3.jpg
    eye-patch3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 173
  • eye-patch.jpg
    eye-patch.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 156
  • patch4.jpg
    patch4.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 175
I have no doubt that 3D will continue to build, but it is will be slowly as the technology improves. As passive grows or non glasses grows 3D will be adopted by more people. I think its biggest limitations are the shutter glasses everyone likes to hate and any price premium (slowly disappearing).

Im thinking about giving it another shot, now that I am back with Directv.

How are the current blu-ray releases looking. I know conversions were getting popular, and there were some bad ones. Have things improved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)