CES D* News Conference Mentioned FX HD and SCI-FI HD

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Tulsa
This is the first I have heard of these two.

I thought sci-fi had "no plans" for HD. Anyone heard anything?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=772964#post772964

You might want to ask that in the huge thread that already exists about the CES and/or DirecTV announcements. At least that is where most users are reading/writing now.

That's the problem with the HUGE thread; you go do your actual paying job for a couple hours, and there is 8 - 10 pages of posts.

I was surprised by the Sci Fi HD claim; but will not believe it until I see something about it from NBC/Sci Fi, I don't know if I will believe it.

I just checked the NBC Media Village website; which is where they place all of their press-releases, and contact information about each of their networks. Nothing at all there about Sci Fi HD.

I am half-tempted to call the Sci Fi Publicity person and say "I am calling from SatelliteGuys.us, can you comment on DirecTV's claim that they will provide Sci Fi HD in 2007? "

That's the problem with the HUGE thread; you go do your actual paying job for a couple hours, and there is 8 - 10 pages of posts.

I was surprised by the Sci Fi HD claim; but will not believe it until I see something about it from NBC/Sci Fi, I don't know if I will believe it.

I just checked the NBC Media Village website; which is where they place all of their press-releases, and contact information about each of their networks. Nothing at all there about Sci Fi HD.

I am half-tempted to call the Sci Fi Publicity person and say "I am calling from SatelliteGuys.us, can you comment on DirecTV's claim that they will provide Sci Fi HD in 2007? "

I'll send you $5 paypal if you do!

I just called SCI FI's publicity person; she knew nothing about that. She asked me to email her the information. So I will pull it from the re-cap of the press conference and will send it to her.

To be honest, she seemed totally unaware of this; I did not get the sense that she was hiding something.

Scott - I hope you don't mind that I said I was 'with SatelliteGuys.us, America's Satellite Information Source.'

Going to send the email in a few minutes.

Got a reply from the person at Sci Fi. She gave me the name of someone else at NBC; will contact them tonight, but do not expect a response until tomorrow.

Fingers remain crossed for the surprising answer that YES, SCI FI HD is in the works...

Thanks for all the follow-up. I actually emailed sci-fi last year and they said they had no plans for HD, so hopefully we hear they have changed their mind (and then we hear that DISH is going to carry it).

I think this is how its going to work out, Directv worked a deal with the parent company and not the channel themselves....Just like they did with locals, I spoke to 2 of my local Channel Engineers who had no idea they were on Directv for HD, but in fact everything had been worked out with the owner of the Channel, and not the Channel itself, just my two cents enjoy! :)

Well, according to engadget, these are AMONG the stations D* will be adding in HD this year:
A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

Assuming they aren't like TNTHD and just distorting and up-ressing most of their content, I would love to see some of those in HD. Of course, TWC HD is a bit strange to me, but I suppose looking at a weather map in 1080i will be better than in SD.

Last edited:
I just called SCI FI's publicity person; she knew nothing about that. She asked me to email her the information.

At least after today's announcement we know who's PR and other reps are really out of the loop as far as what is going on in the company; like I figured they (PR/media reps) only know something once a decision is already made and they get handed a release to read and publish it maybe 6 - 24 hours before we see it.

OR, until there is an official release handed to them, they will deny, deny, deny; right to your face.

Well, according to engadget, these are AMONG the stations D* will be adding in HD this year:
A&E
National Geographic
Bravo
NFL Network
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
CNN
Speed
Food Network
TBS
FX
The History Channel
HGTV
The Weather Channel
MTV
USA Network

Assuming they aren't like TNTHD and just distorting and up-ressing most of their content, I would love to see some of those in HD. Of course, TWC HD is a bit strange to me, but I suppose looking at a weather map in 1080i will be better than in SD.

Several of those channels are quite appealing to me in HD!! I hope this happens as we can assume the Dish will pick them up too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts