CE's for the weekend of 12.18

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tomorrow night is the first time I'm going to try this... basically I can only do it during the window, right? I really want MRV :)

Tomorrow night is the first time I'm going to try this... basically I can only do it during the window, right? I really want MRV :)

You might want to wait then. See my post in the other thread about the major problem this CE has caused. Almost anyone attempting to opt in for MRV will have their box become totally unresponsive. In short, it is recommended that this download NOT be done until a fix comes out for it. That could be next weekend (iffy due to Christmas being next Friday) or the weekend after.

ALL of my DVRs, the HR20-700s, HR21-100s, and HR22-100s, have experienced this problem. Because of this, I was forced to deactivate MRV, which was rendered inoperable as a result of this CE anyway.

Not sure what Vader is talkiing about, but both my boxes have worked well with the CE software for the last few weeks. MRV still has a few problems, but all in all, I am very impressed with it.. No Unresponsive boxes on my end...

You are among the lucky few then, because this CE has, indeed, caused almost all users' boxes to become unresponsive once someone (a) has opted in MRV and (b) pressed the "list" button on their remote. We've had to RBR the units, then opt out of MRV to undo the damage.

Until this latest CE my boxes had always worked well after a CE download. This one, however, has caused major problems to many users.

Don't know about lucky.. I just know both my boxes are fine.. Have been using and watching MRV all morning with no issues at all.. I see there are some people experiencing issues, although I am not sure I am willing to call it as almost all are having problems.. Guess DirecTV is going to have to figure out what the problem is though. And what type or combination of equipment is having this problem

Yeah, I'd consider yourself lucky. My father and several buddies have all experienced this problem. It has happened to my HR700-100, HR21-100, & HR22-100s. I've got more than one model of each of these on my account, & every one of them froze as soon as I hit the "list" button.

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. No one can figure out why so many are affected but a handful are not. Maybe if those of us who are affected are lucky, this will clear up beyond the required 12-hour window.

It is happening to me right now. One of my 2 HR20-700's won't do anything but turn off! :) I don't know how I am going to opt out of MRV because I can not get ANYTHING TO COME UP ON THE SCREEN. :(

The other HR20-700 is just fine & MRV playing still works fine from content on my unresponsive box.

edit: Ok I turned it off & on (please note the regular power button was unresponsive. I had to use the D* & TV on/off buttons.) & got to the menu & then opted out. It it working now.

No problems with this CE on HR23-700, R22, and H23-600. All play MRV (as well as can be expected). Both of the DVR's were already "Opted" in from the MRV last week.

Appears more to me that this CE has messed up a few users as opppsed to "Almost All" . I am seeing a few chime in that this has happened. Again, I think DirecTV needs to fix this, but they are going to have to find the reason for it.. Since it's not everyone, that means that it is "SETUP" Related. Something is different between myself and Vaders setup. Mine works and his doesn't. So what is the cause?

Hi all new to the forum. I know it's been a few weeks since the last post but this discussion is exactly what I have been looking for. My situation is simple. I recently ordered Directv but have not been installed yet. I am scheduled for this coming Saturday. Basically I got lied to being told by the sales department of a big Directv contractor I found while Googling local Directv. I was told I could get 3 HD/DVRs (one for each family member) and have the installer network them out to my 7 HDTVs. I specifically told them this was my intention and I wanted HD content as well as the ability to view DVR content in HD on any TV of my choosing. Long hold with the answer yes but after the free install there will be some custom work which the installer will charge for. How much I ask, oh roughly $150 average was the answer. We'll needless to say as the equipment waits to be installed at my home I know I'm a victim of a sales con. Even spoke with Directv which I was told I'll need a box on every TV and then I can do it but the only way I've seen this possible is what I'm learning through peeps like you guys. So let me see if I understand. It only works for one HD/DVR not for 3 like my set-up will be, I'll need to have a box on each TV (does it have to be an HD or can it be SD for I have two older HDTVs that only accept component in) and it's only offered in a window of time. Does that about sum it up? Where can I get this firmware upgrade? I assume it is a firmware upgrade. Is there any special installation required or will the installer basically have me ready once he's done? I will be using HR23s and it appears I most likely am going to upgrade to atleast 1 HD box and possibly 2 SD boxes. I think I'll mirror one off a nearby AV receiver being it's a guest room only and just use a IR remote and blaster. No sense in spending a hundred dollars and 5 a month r I may never get the guest to leave. ;-) Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
Dude,

This upgrade is NOT for general customers. What you refer to is called "Cutting Edge" or "CE" software downloads. They're intended for those people to TEST new features, menu changes, adjustments, etc. They are NOT designed for newbies, people wanting new features, etc. Furthermore, because CE downloads are considered private, beta testing, those who download realize the risk of doing so. Such risks run the gamut to glitches to all one's recordings being wiped out to totally bricking one's receiver.

Also, DirecTV does NOT support CE testers. DirecTV customer service reps. do NOT know about this and consequently cannot assist you if/when you experience problems with CE downloads.

The ability to watch a recording from one DVR through another one in a different room is called "MRV," or "Multi-Room Viewing." It was introduced in early 2009 and is STILL going through its testing stages.

Quite simply, CE downloads and MRV are not for the feint of heart OR those with little to no patience.

More information

The Cutting Edge program is different from most test programs.
  • Unlike a true private beta, everyone is invited to participate.
  • Unlike a true public beta, all testers are expected to keep a low profile.
  • Unlike most forums, the Cutting Edge forum discourages negativity and rudeness.
  • Unlike a traditional beta program, new releases are available almost every week.

It's the combination of diverse testers, concise and polite error reporting, and rapid new releases that make the rapid development model work for DIRECTV. Using thousands of hours of testing per week, bugs are quickly identified and squashed, and long-term issues get the focus they deserve.

The Cutting Edge program is exclusive to another site; this one here borrows the information and it is shared here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)