Ces ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As usual, Longhorn ... your posts are the most informative of anyone else on this site.

Any word on a price if I have 2 H-10's and want to move to the Mpeg4 HD DVR's ?
Would I still have to honor my 2 year commitment on the H-10's?

Ideally I would turn off the H-10's and purchase 2 new HD DVR's .....

Not interested in the HMC set up

Jimbo

herdfan said:
Will the HD client be available at launch? And how will the clients be connected to the server? Coax, CAT5, other?
I think I want to buy a ticket to Vegas next week.:D

Maybe but its looking like they will be out a month or two after the servers launch.

The clients will be connected by default to an existing Coax connection so it can have live TV viewing that is seperate from the server. This means that if the server goes bad you can still watch one live TV feed on each of the client boxes you just couldn't record anything. The boxes can also be connected via both a CAT5e connection and/or a wireless network connection but that isn't required but you can do any of the two that you want. The CAT5e and wireless connection will be used for connecting the server to you home network to access pictures, music and the internet connection so you can use the new VOD services in the future. I hope this helps you out.

Jimbos said:
Any word on a price if I have 2 H-10's and want to move to the Mpeg4 HD DVR's ?
Would I still have to honor my 2 year commitment on the H-10's?
Ideally I would turn off the H-10's and purchase 2 new HD DVR's .....
Not interested in the HMC set up
Jimbo

I believe you would have to spend two hundred bucks upfront to own the boxes. You might also get "one" two hundred dollar mail-in rebate as well but I'm not sure on that yet. Your two year commitment will start from the day your new MPEG4 HD DVR boxes are activated. Your old two year commitment will be done. In simple terms your one and only commitment will be just two years from the date your new MPEG4 HD DVRs are activated. It just starts over in simple terms.

Thanks for the reply. But all it did was give me more questions.:D

Will the clients have trick play capability? ie Pause, Replay, FF, RR etc. for live shows? IOW, if the client is being fed via the coax, will these things work using Flash memory etc.

When the client is connected to the server, will it be via an existing network? Will shows be transferred from the server to the client via this network.

If so, I would think the client, especially HD, would need some sort of memory to buffer the stream.

A couple of months doesn't sound too bad to wait for HD clients.

Random thought: How is the mood at D* given the poor reviews, article in USAToday, and general buginess of the R15?

LonghornXP said:
Maybe but its looking like they will be out a month or two after the servers launch.
The clients will be connected by default to an existing Coax connection so it can have live TV viewing that is seperate from the server. This means that if the server goes bad you can still watch one live TV feed on each of the client boxes you just couldn't record anything. The boxes can also be connected via both a CAT5e connection and/or a wireless network connection but that isn't required but you can do any of the two that you want. The CAT5e and wireless connection will be used for connecting the server to you home network to access pictures, music and the internet connection so you can use the new VOD services in the future. I hope this helps you out.

That's GREAT! to hear about the wireless connection option. If I remember correctly, you HEARD that D* ORIGINAL :) plan was not to release a wirless option until the second generation MPEG-4 HD-DVR ' . ' Thanks Longhorn.

Tele-TV said:
That's GREAT! to hear about the wireless connection option. If I remember correctly, you HEARD that D* ORIGINAL :) plan was not to release a wirless option until the second generation MPEG-4 HD-DVR ' . ' Thanks Longhorn.

The future HMC product will be all wireless client and server boxes. What I'm talking about is nothing different than what this first generation product was going to have. It will need a coax connection to all client boxes period. You can at your choice use a wireless or ethernet connection to connect to your home network and this feature has always been planned from day one.

herdfan said:
Thanks for the reply. But all it did was give me more questions.:D
Will the clients have trick play capability? ie Pause, Replay, FF, RR etc. for live shows? IOW, if the client is being fed via the coax, will these things work using Flash memory etc.
When the client is connected to the server, will it be via an existing network? Will shows be transferred from the server to the client via this network.
If so, I would think the client, especially HD, would need some sort of memory to buffer the stream.
A couple of months doesn't sound too bad to wait for HD clients.
Random thought: How is the mood at D* given the poor reviews, article in USAToday, and general buginess of the R15?

Its being considered if the clients will have flash memory for trick play ability for live TV but that isn't final or set in stone in any way shape or form. The client will be connected via the existing coax cables in the house using the multimedia over coax assocation standard (MoCa) and as such it doesn't require anytype of home network to be present for multiroom viewing and scheduling of recordings. To connect to your home network you would still need to connect either a wireless card or an ethernet cable from a wireless or wired router that is directly connected to your PC you want to share music and pictures with.

The clients will playback shows from the server over the existing coax cables and the client doesn't need flash memory for this because the client boxes would just tune the recording in as just another channel that the server can create on the fly at a playback request.

Also I don't think DirecTV cares that much about what other say about them or their products and as such that might be why it might take a while longer to get their products improved in the future.

So are there going to be 2 coax cables connected to the client? One for letting a client watch Live TV without the server, or if the server goes down. And a second connected to the server for accessing content off of the server.

So the clients won't be connected to the server via CAT5 for MRV purposes if I understand correctly?

herdfan said:
So are there going to be 2 coax cables connected to the client? One for letting a client watch Live TV without the server, or if the server goes down. And a second connected to the server for accessing content off of the server.
So the clients won't be connected to the server via CAT5 for MRV purposes if I understand correctly?

Only one coax cable would be connected from the multiswitch to each client box. That one cable can handle both the multiroom playback and live TV viewing but not at the sametime of course. Do a search for multimedia over coax association and read a little more about what this stuff is all about.

From what I've heard is that multiroom viewing over CAT5 won't be supported because of support costs with it. The coax cables will work just fine using Moca software and the cables themselves can handle the data with ease. When something works right out of the box why use something else. Now this system can be used with CAT5 cables if those cables are in the rooms "and" that room has no coax cables. Only under these situations will CAT5 be used for multiroom viewing. Beyond that the CAT5 and wireless adapters will be used just for connecting to the "customers" home network to playback music and photos on the "customers" computer(s).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)