CH 21-69 Out (TV2) tip

TMaud

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I just recently replaced my Directv with Dish. When the installer was trying to get my TV2 connected he couldn't get a clear picture and blamed it on the TV. He said the TV had to be tuned to ch.60 or ch.116 and my TV doesn't go up to 116. (it's an older TV). So he left with a wavy picture on ch.60 and left me thinking I'd have to replace my TV if I want it to work properly.
Upon doing some of my own research, I found that the channel you choose has to be display nothing but noise (snowy picture). My channel 60 was picking up a Spanish station even with NO antennae connected. I was able to get a clearer picture on almost every other channel between 21 and 69, but it still wasn't as good as I would have liked it. What I WAS able to do however is to use my VCR as the tuner (tune it to the channel you select in the the Setup RF Modulator menu)and tune the TV to ch.3. Now the picture comes in excellent. It's a little more of a pain because now I not only have to control the TV and Satellite receiver, but also the VCR power & tv/video. Fortunately the remote with the receiver is able to control all three and I was able to get rid of the TV remote. Better than having to go out and buy a new TV!!
Hopefully this is helpful to someone else as well.

And I'll add that it's a shame the installer didn't want to (or worse, know how to) set the TV2 output to another channel. I'm not too surprised, but it's still a shame.

And I don't know if anyone else has extended a welcome to you here, but anyways, welcome to SatelliteGuys.us! :)

TuxCoder said:
And I'll add that it's a shame the installer didn't want to (or worse, know how to) set the TV2 output to another channel. I'm not too surprised, but it's still a shame.

And I don't know if anyone else has extended a welcome to you here, but anyways, welcome to SatelliteGuys.us! :)
Hey, thanks. This is a great forum with lots of great info.
The 522 is a nice box too. I just hope that future updates can take care of those annoying a/v issues when using the DVR.

TuxCoder said:

I agree but when mine was installed about six weeks ago the installer didn't know either.He didn't know a lot of things. It would seem if an installer just spent a couple of hours on this forum they would learn a lot that would help them and thier customers. Such a shame :p

It really sounds like your tv is set to cable channels and not uhf... or vice-versa. Ch 21-69 sounds like UHF. Cable channels are not the same and jump all over the band. When a TV is set to the wrong standard, the channels come in all over the other band.

Claude Greiner said:
Why not change the modulator to another channel which is not being used in your area?

I was wondering that myself. If you can't 116 on your TV, change it to something you can get.

TMaud said:
I was able to get a clearer picture on almost every other channel between 21 and 69, but it still wasn't as good as I would have liked it.
He did try other channels than the channel 60 that is also being broadcast in his area. And cable and UHF do have many points of closely overlapping frequencies, but there are still more misses than hits. Especially when setting the output to one thing and setting the TV tuner to the same channel, I don't think there would be any matches. So I'm inclined to think the old TV really was correctly set to receive air frequencies. In fact it may be too old to know about cable. :) I still think the tuner is just old and tired (could be an analog tuner and out of calibration).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts