Challenging Apartment Install................

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Here's one that I finished, today.

The entire mounting, including the dish was aligned and set up from the balcony.

The signal meter pegs at 101 and 119, with a decent 110 signal.

Attachments

• apartment4.jpg
    apartment4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 268
Mike500 said:
Here's one that I finished, today.
The entire mounting, including the dish was aligned and set up from the balcony.
The signal meter pegs at 101 and 119, with a decent 110 signal.
i don't suppose you were able to ground this thing to NEC...
In this area, almost all complexes prohibit this type of install..
Very imaginative job though..kudos

NEC is a real challenge with apartments and condos.

I grounded the system to an outdoor outlet by using a hospital grade plug with a 10 gauge copper wire to the grounding contact. Then, filled the plug with silicone sealant to prevent any kit from getting shocked by the hot contact.

It's better than nothing.

Mike500 said:
Check out this photo;

There was no chance of asking thet same neighbor if you could possibly mount the dish next to his/hers?

pro96 said:
There was no chance of asking thet same neighbor if you could possibly mount the dish next to his/hers?

That is not a viable option:

The dish on the floor above is a round dish. Also, where it is installed, it might be doubtful whether if the mounting position would allow access to 119W.

Also, I have found that it is better to NEVER mess with any one else's system or attach anything to it. When I was in both the auto repair and computer business, people, out of NOT KNOWING or BASICALLY IGNORANT of technologies, tend to quickly blame anyone who works on the system for problems, even if they are not the cause of the problem. If something was to fail in the upstairs customer's system, he or she might likely blame my customer or me for having attached my customer's system to theirs.

My customer need all four feeds of the Phase III dish. I wasn't about to replace the upstairs person's round dish with a Phase III and install a 4x8 dish.

The mount to the rail is so strong and rigid that it is as solid as a ground pole buried in concrete.

The dish mount violates the complex rules in that the mounting foot is fastened to a balustre with sell drilling screws; another reason I'd not mess with it or even ask.

And, what happens if the apartment changes tenants? Even if the current tenant is agreeable, the future one might not be.

"outdoor outlet by using a hospital grade plug"

Just trying to learn more here. What's so special about this kind of outlet? I've seen the regular and "heavy duty" outlets but never heard of "a hospital grade". Do you have to special order those somewhere?

Again just curious.

RandallA said:
"outdoor outlet by using a hospital grade plug"
Just trying to learn more here. What's so special about this kind of outlet? I've seen the regular and "heavy duty" outlets but never heard of "a hospital grade". Do you have to special order those somewhere?
Again just curious.

Hospital Grade is an NEC and UL listing. It has special crush durability and pull out standards than regular plugs and outlets. Basically, it is made to survive, without electrical current leakage in harsh enviornments. It is usually nylon and marked with a green dot and the words, "Hospital Grade." The stuff is not cheap.

One thing I don't understand is why you had to mount the dish so high? Were there buildings in the way to the left, as you look at the picture? Why couldn't you have mounted it on his 2nd floor balcony? Thanks.

Mike500 said:
Hospital Grade is an NEC and UL listing. It has special crush durability and pull out standards than regular plugs and outlets. Basically, it is made to survive, without electrical current leakage in harsh enviornments. It is usually nylon and marked with a green dot and the words, "Hospital Grade." The stuff is not cheap.

Thanks, just curious.

I wonder what the cost on this setting. In 99% of the apartment I did installed, no one want to spend a buck extra to any installation, my most install on this will be the cost from fencing department, under $5.00 material. It seem people live at apartment knew they do has the grounding problem, but seem no one care about the system ground or no ground.

I rarely see any electrical outlet at the bacolny, even it does, I still will not ground the system through this, the main problem is, its some body's property, second, I do not has the electrical license to do electrical work, open the wall plate and attach the ground wire to the plug, anything go wrong, you shoot the whole house electrical down. I think the number 8 or number 10 wire is too thick for the wall plug., and incase if there a direct hit to the dish, the wall plug ground side can not handle this.

THis just my 2 cents.

sksatellite said:
I wonder what the cost on this setting. In 99% of the apartment I did installed, no one want to spend a buck extra to any installation, my most install on this will be the cost from fencing department, under $5.00 material. It seem people live at apartment knew they do has the grounding problem, but seem no one care about the system ground or no ground.
I rarely see any electrical outlet at the bacolny, even it does, I still will not ground the system through this, the main problem is, its some body's property, second, I do not has the electrical license to do electrical work, open the wall plate and attach the ground wire to the plug, anything go wrong, you shoot the whole house electrical down. I think the number 8 or number 10 wire is too thick for the wall plug., and incase if there a direct hit to the dish, the wall plug ground side can not handle this.
THis just my 2 cents.

Yeah, that's true with 99%. But, there are exceptions. This guy was one.

What can I say? The electrical outlet WAS THERE on the balcony.

You confuse plug with outlet or receptacle. The grounding wire is connected to the round grounding prong of a grounding plug. The receptacle or outlet or electrical box is never opened. Ibn this case, I use #14 wire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts