Change in compression?

sratson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
North Wales, PA, USA
I had archived a bunch of shows before I went on vacation so I could record all my shows while I was away and I noticed that ER went from 4.5 GB on 4/17 to 2.5 GB on 4/24.. as well as a few other shows that are about half the size they were previously.. mostly NBC shows.. after the same time period.. is it NBC doing it or Dish?

you've never said which channels, so how can we know, except with the educated guesses.

which exact channel(s) are we talking about? and what exact dates?

Satellite of course.. I guess I'm looking to find out from someone who may actually know why the change occurred, not just educated guesses...

Well, I might know and I might not, but sure as hell wouldn't tell you now anyway.

Sorry for that, but I know the difference between OTA and satellite which is why I was asking if it was the station or dish that made the change and I was wondering if anyone knew if in fact dish had changed the compression of the LiL re-broadcasts recently.. The dates are between 4/17 and 4/24 as previously noted and NBC in Phila market is the station I was referring to, but I noticed the change in the other local stations in my market in the same time period..
I appreciate your kindness and efforts to offer assistance, but I was just wondering if someone actually knew if changes were made recently that could explain the change in compression.. I figured Scott or Digiblur would know, atleast.. Sorry for my abruptness again.

When they were moved to spotbeam coverage they moved to the new encoder types. The older encoders were only efficient enough for 4 HD's per TP, now they can push them 7 per TP.

Does anyone know if Dish is planning on updating the software once the mpeg4 transition is complete so that the estimated recording time for HD is correct? The 622 and 722 should be able to store a lot more HD than they currently indicate.

I have noticed during CSN-Chicago HD telecasts of the Cubs and White Sox the compression is really getting worse on the MPEG-4. You can see clear static looking images around the scoreboard at the top of the screen. There has also been macroblocking washouts during fast camera movements in the outfield as well. This is on my 30" CRT.

I have noticed during CSN-Chicago HD telecasts of the Cubs and White Sox the compression is really getting worse on the MPEG-4. You can see clear static looking images around the scoreboard at the top of the screen. There has also been macroblocking washouts during fast camera movements in the outfield as well. This is on my 30" CRT.

It's hard to know if it's the source material (i.e. cameras, etc.) or the feed unless you have another provider to compare to. Is it any better on DirecTV or cable if you watch them side by side?

Most of the time the RSN's are far from bit starved on DishNetwork. I've seen many times 12-15 megabit MPEG4 streams of RSN's since nothing else is eating up the bandwidth on that TP at the time.

Most OTA feeds are lucky to be 15 megabits and they are MPEG2.

Sorry for that, but I know the difference between OTA and satellite which is why I was asking if it was the station or dish that made the change and I was wondering if anyone knew if in fact dish had changed the compression of the LiL re-broadcasts recently.. The dates are between 4/17 and 4/24 as previously noted and NBC in Phila market is the station I was referring to, but I noticed the change in the other local stations in my market in the same time period..
I appreciate your kindness and efforts to offer assistance, but I was just wondering if someone actually knew if changes were made recently that could explain the change in compression.. I figured Scott or Digiblur would know, atleast.. Sorry for my abruptness again.

Cool.

I didn't know anyway.;)

I have learned well from the master (a.k.a the wife).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)