Change of Sirius Radio UGH!!!

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
We are way down south outside normal reception areas. With a large antenna we got reasonable reception which we lost for an hour each day on our old sporster SP-R2R.
Sadly this crapped out and we have bought Sirius/XM XDPIV2. No reception at all on this new machine. Signal strength meter shows nothing !
I have not kept abreast of the changes when Sirius and XM got together. Do the machines have the same specs. Have we bought a replacement that just wont work down here ?
Thanks for any help
Tony

My best short answers;
The radio you had was a Sirius radio, the one you bought, is an XM radio. (From your model number an Onyx+ ?)So two things come to mind; (Even though they merged there are still radios that work on two different networks)

The antennas used are different, are you using the same antenna that you used for the Sirius radio? If it was meant for a Sirius radio and that could be some of the problem.

Also, the actual XM signal is sent in a different way then the Sirius one, and from a satellites that orbit in different ways.

Easiest solution is to try a Sirius radio and see if their satellites simply reach you better.

Just changed out my blown out Sirius with an Onyx xm. The shop had to change the power wiring harness but the antenna connection was the same and fit seamless. I wanted to keep using the old Sirius antenna because it has a larger surface area (signal is proportional to area) and I am on the edge of reception.

The Polar Sirius satellites are being phased out. May be off by now. Everything went Geostationary. Many will miss the Polar satellites dearly since the 3 of them doing their North/South orbit provided spectacular coverage way down south and way up north.

You can still pick up the old (no longer manufactured but new) Sirius models on Amazon or Ebay. Might be worth a try to see if you can recover service

I believe Sirius just switched off their old satellites and are now exclusively on geo stationary sats that only beam toward the US. You may be out of the signal footprint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)