Change service address for local sports

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Towerosour

Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
nashville, tn
Is it possible to "move" and change your service address to receive the local channels from another city? Or does the physical location of your receiver determine which local channels you get?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

Check the satmaps link at the top of the page. There is one for Chicago. IIRC, you have to be within the pink line to have stable reception.

You're too far south in Nashville - I'm in SE Illinois, and I'm fringe for Chicago spot beams.

Is it possible to "move" and change your service address to receive the local channels from another city? Or does the physical location of your receiver determine which local channels you get?

The service address DOES determine which local channels AND RSN(s) you get for you particular area.
But, since you specifically asked about local sports - were you meaning sports that are broadcast on local Chicago OTA stations, or on local RSN's?

If you are wanting sports on local Chicago OTA stations, as already pointed out, you are (WAY) too far away from the local Chicago channels spot beam. I can you they are just on fringe for me as well. ;)

But, if you were wanting only the Chicago RSN, which in this case would be Comcast Sports Chicago, you COULD actually get those, as all RSN's are carried on CONUS beams. But your problem is, when you changed to a Chicago address, since you would be switched to Chicago locals, you would NOT get ANY network prog (ABC, CBS, etc.) through the dish, since you cannot pick up the Chicago spot beam.

Makes sense???

The Other option would be to have a DirecTV receiver with an integrated OTA tuner or get a AM-21 tuner, then you could receive your local channels from the OTA Tuner module and still get the Chicago RSN's.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts