Changed All Hardware - Still Can't Get A Signal!

Going to suggest what may be considered stupid or obvious, but sometimes that's exactly what it is.

Did the wind storm blow something in the way of your line of sight? A tree, power lines, house?
It sounds like your mount is movable. Have you tried moving it (it being the pole and dish) to another location? ie, 10-20 ft to the right, left, forward or back.
Is the 1 output of LNBF going into the SAT IN port of the receiver, not the antenna in or tv out? (On the 211k this port is blue in color)

I know those are very obvious things, but take a minute to double check. Often it's the simple things that get ya. A few less obvious things to try.

Make sure the dialectric (the white part surrounding the stinger of the cable) is not recessed in the cable fitting. The dialectric should be flush with the bottom of the nut, with the stinger slightly protruding from the top of the nut.

Is the dish set fully on the pole? A 1000.2 has a "sag tag" in the cylinder that is supposed to set inside the pole. If you need to use a screwdriver or something to bend it out a bit, do that. Once you've done that tighten the pivot bolt (the bolt that should be resting on top of the pole) just a little more than hand tight. Perhaps 1 full turn with a socket wrench past hand tight. Then tighten the clamp bolts the same. Do this to ensure that the dish doesn't sag. If this is too tight and the dish does not easily turn on the pole, loosen them a bit. Don't overtighten the pivot bolt.

If none of these things, as well as the other things that have been pointed out, work then I would call DISH and schedule a service call.

Dishpointer says 50/90/167. Will 1 degree make a difference?
Yes, but it shouldn't be the difference between getting some signal and no signal.

Are you checking 119W? This is necessary to take skew out of the equation.

I've found that I've had better results if I set the elevation a degree higher than recommended by DISH.

Yes, but it shouldn't be the difference between getting some signal and no signal.

I've found that I've had better results if I set the elevation a degree higher than recommended by DISH.

I agree. Sometimes you have to go 1or 2 degrees higher or lower so play around with elevation a bit too.

I thought I was going nuts with a problem like this until I FINALLY discovered a bad cable/connector.

I know you changed cables but are you SURE you changed out all connection points. My problem was a short cable I had coming from the LNB

The totally no-signal status means to me that your pipeline is bad.

I thought I was going nuts with a problem like this until I FINALLY discovered a bad cable/connector.

I know you changed cables but are you SURE you changed out all connection points. My problem was a short cable I had coming from the LNB

The totally no-signal status means to me that your pipeline is bad.

Yes, I did. I changed out the entire cable with 3000 MHz cable with no couplers all the way from the LNB to the receiver. The cable is only about 20 feet, so length wouldn't be a problem.

Would I be able to complete a switch test if the cable was bad? Mine completed OK.

Thank you for the idea!

Michael

Yes, I've tried 119 and 110. For some strange reason, the 211K doesn't have 129 in the Point Dish menu. It has 121 instead.

I did try going from 49 to 50 for elevation, with no luck. I'll give 51 a try, and report back.

I appreciate the ideas.

Michael

It sounds as though you have tried just about everything.
When you do a check switch, and when it is saying "doing test 1 of..." is it saying "1 of 4?" If the last number is not "4" then it isn't finding the LNBF. If the last number turns to "38" or a high number like that, then the signal is not getting to the receiver.
Check your connectors. Look closely around each stinger . If even one, tiny little sliver of shielding is touching a stinger it will short out the whole thing. No little silver strands should be near the stinger.
Is the mast truly plumb? Whatever you set your dish onto has got to be plumb...completely straight up and down.
What is your enviroment like....your surroundings?

Yes, I've tried 119 and 110. For some strange reason, the 211K doesn't have 129 in the Point Dish menu. It has 121 instead.

I did try going from 49 to 50 for elevation, with no luck. I'll give 51 a try, and report back.

I appreciate the ideas.

Michael
Where do u live in So Cal.? I live in Victorville, Ca. and have a birdog meter. If you live close, I can probably help you out. PM me.

I appreciate the ideas.

Michael

It won't get 129 in the menu until you get a satellite signal to update the table in the receiver.

Keep moving the dish around and try check switch a few times in the area where you think 119 is. I'm betting your receiver doesn't know where 119 is on the switch matrix so when you pick 119 it doesn't know what to switch to.

Going to suggest what may be considered stupid or obvious, but sometimes that's exactly what it is.

Did the wind storm blow something in the way of your line of sight? A tree, power lines, house?
It sounds like your mount is movable. Have you tried moving it (it being the pole and dish) to another location? ie, 10-20 ft to the right, left, forward or back.
Is the 1 output of LNBF going into the SAT IN port of the receiver, not the antenna in or tv out? (On the 211k this port is blue in color)

This is one of the things I started checking, but I can see clear sky from 150 to 210 degrees (target azimuth is 180 true). Unfortunately, the pole is on a balcony so I can move it a whole lot.

I double checked the connection to the receiver (about 3 times), and it is going into the correct port.

I know those are very obvious things, but take a minute to double check. Often it's the simple things that get ya. A few less obvious things to try.

I'm in the computer industry, so I couldn't agree more.

Make sure the dialectric (the white part surrounding the stinger of the cable) is not recessed in the cable fitting. The dialectric should be flush with the bottom of the nut, with the stinger slightly protruding from the top of the nut.

Looks OK, and I double checked continuity with an ohm meter.

Is the dish set fully on the pole? A 1000.2 has a "sag tag" in the cylinder that is supposed to set inside the pole. If you need to use a screwdriver or something to bend it out a bit, do that. Once you've done that tighten the pivot bolt (the bolt that should be resting on top of the pole) just a little more than hand tight. Perhaps 1 full turn with a socket wrench past hand tight. Then tighten the clamp bolts the same. Do this to ensure that the dish doesn't sag. If this is too tight and the dish does not easily turn on the pole, loosen them a bit. Don't overtighten the pivot bolt.

Great tip on the sag tag! I didn't even notice it prior to you mentioning it. I can see where that would screw up your alignment if it go between the flange and pole. Unfortunately, mine was properly positioned, and the pole is right up to the pivot bolt.

If you still have the legacy receiver try using it to peak with. You will need to still use the 211k to power the LNB. Connect the 211k to port 2, and the legacy to port 1. Like was mentioned before 211K receivers are real buggy on the factory software when trying to lock on to a signal.

It sounds as though you have tried just about everything.
When you do a check switch, and when it is saying "doing test 1 of..." is it saying "1 of 4?" If the last number is not "4" then it isn't finding the LNBF. If the last number turns to "38" or a high number like that, then the signal is not getting to the receiver.
Check your connectors. Look closely around each stinger . If even one, tiny little sliver of shielding is touching a stinger it will short out the whole thing. No little silver strands should be near the stinger.
Is the mast truly plumb? Whatever you set your dish onto has got to be plumb...completely straight up and down.
What is your enviroment like....your surroundings?

Yes, it says "1 to 1" at first, and then changes to "1 of 4" which it completes.

I'm going to take another look at the shielding, just in case.

I have checked the mast with a digital level, and it is coming in at 89.5 degrees or better. I even calibrated it, and swung the meter 180 degrees to be sure I was getting a good reading.

The dish has open sky, except to the far left and right (150 to 210 degrees true, and the target azimuth is 180).

Thanks!

Michael

Do you have a digital multi-meter that will check for open and shorts? I've got a Radio Shack cheapy that has this feature on it. If you do, touch one lead to the stinger and one lead to the side fitting (disconnect from the LNB and receiver). If it sings, you have a short in the connections, even though you may not see it. Give that a try. Other then that, I use a cheap (25$) sat meter to set my rv dish up. Works great every time. The meter on the receiver is too slow to try and tune in. May be worth it to get one. With everything new, I can't think of anything else.

Success!!!

If you still have the legacy receiver try using it to peak with. You will need to still use the 211k to power the LNB. Connect the 211k to port 2, and the legacy to port 1. Like was mentioned before 211K receivers are real buggy on the factory software when trying to lock on to a signal.

I tried 3 degrees up, and panned the dish. Still no signal.

I followed scoebyx's advice. I connected my Dish PVR 508 to Port 1, and the 211K to Port 2. Still no signal. I ran a check switch on the PVR, and still no signal.

I doubled checked the azimuth for 180 degrees true. I even went on Google maps, and found a satellite photo of my house to confirm the direction. Still no signal. I pushed the pole forward to drop the elevation. No signal. I pulled the pole back to increase the elevation. I kept pulling it back to an absurd angle. The beeping on the PVR still indicated no signal. However, I happened to look at the screen of the monitor I brought right up to the dish for testing purposes, and to my surprise, it said "signal 23", and there was a dialog box saying "identifying satellites". I was thinking I probably got some errant satellite that it couldn't identify.

I couldn't hold the pole steadily in that position for long while it was "identifying", which seemed to take forever, so I put the pole back to 90 degrees and changed the elevation at the dish. I got the signal back at GET THIS - 58 DEGREES!!! The target was 49 degrees. I figured I would let it sit there for a while. It couldn't be 119 at that elevation, but at least it was a signal. It's more than I've seen for the past week. At this point, I feel like I am looking for extraterrestrial life, rather than an earth television satellite.

With some more fiddling, I got the signal up to 60. Then the "identifying satellites" message came back on. After about a minute it said "Locked 119". Locked at 119 at 58 degrees???:confused:

I checked 110, and no signal. There was a chance though that this old legacy receiver could not operate the 1000.2 switch.

I connected my monitor to the 211K, and it said it was downloading programming. I let that go for about 5 minutes. Then I went to Point Dish, and surprise, there was 110 at about a signal of 60. Then I checked 129, and it had a signal of 40.

I played around with the skew, and ended up at 92 degrees, with 91 as target, so it was close there.

My neighbors must think I am completely nuts, dialing in a satellite dish all week, and up to 11pm last night. I wanted to do it through completion, because that's how I think you really learn this stuff. What did I learn?

1) The elevation angle was 9 degrees higher than all the dish pointing websites, and Dish Network said it should be.

2) The signal meters on the 211K is so slow, it is useless unless you have the proper dish pointing settings.

3) The signal meter sound indicator may not even change, even though there is a signal. You have to have a monitor there to be sure.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I could not have done it without you, and you taught me a lot. Thank you!

Michael

Congratulations for all your hard work.

I think that you had to use 9 degrees higher because the dish was damaged or bent somewhere. The important thing is that you got it, good job.

:DCongrats!! :D I installed a 1000.2 today. Preset skew and elevation to dish specs. Mounted dish on mast. Pointed in general direction, then started panning east to west until signal popped in. Tweaked a little bit and locked it down.
I say this to say that the dish angle specs are right on. Your lnb arm must have been slightly bent if you had to go 9 degrees beyond the spec. But hooray for success.:up

It is commendable to be a do it yourselfer.
However, after serveral attempts to get the system working has resulted in failure and no television which the OP is paying for, why not just call Dish and get a qualified tech to do the work?
There is no nobility in the acqustion of a skull fracture from beating one's head against a wall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts