changed IRDs and now all HD not coming in, help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wambajamba

Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Tampa FL Area USA
My original configuration was a slimline 3 LNB dish and HR22-100 HD DVR receiver, all of the HD channels (or at least most) all came in including the NFL ticket, FOX news etc. I swapped out the receiver without changing the dish configuration with a HR20-700 and the HD channels are not coming in. Is there something different with the dish/IRD combo that causes this to happen? do I need to change to swap out the 3LNB for a 5 LNB? I guess Im not sure what is causing the issue, the dish or the IRD? any help appreciated.

thanks

chuck

My original configuration was a slimline 3 LNB dish and HR22-100 HD DVR receiver, all of the HD channels (or at least most) all came in including the NFL ticket, FOX news etc. I swapped out the receiver without changing the dish configuration with a HR20-700 and the HD channels are not coming in. Is there something different with the dish/IRD combo that causes this to happen? do I need to change to swap out the 3LNB for a 5 LNB? I guess Im not sure what is causing the issue, the dish or the IRD? any help appreciated.

thanks

chuck

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Like Hifi posted, are the bbcs connected? They go on the back of the dvr and look like 75/300 ohm transformers. No hd channels come from the 110 and 119 slots, so that isn't the problem. Can you post your signal levels on all of the satellites?

Hello and thank you HIFI and Chip....

HIFI - yes I re-ran setup, and yes there are b-band converters. If i recall during the setup it tells you whether or no to use the b-band converters. I am really wondering if it is something to do with the dish setup. My original receiver the HR22-100 got all the HD channels (at least all I needed), but the HR20-700 when set up with the same dish configuration (Slimline-3) did not. So I was wondering where I can find out more about the receivers, what the differences are, and if that could be the cause, for example, with the newer HR20-700 I installed with the same Slimeline-3 dish, does that receiver need a newer dish like one that will do SWM or does it need the Slimeline-5? I just dont understand why I am not getting at least the same HD channels with the HR20-700 as I was with the HR22-100, do these IRDs require different dishes or setups?

Chip - yes, the b-bands are connected. I am not sure what you mean by "no HD channels come from 110 to 119 slots", I'm sure you are talking about the sattelite positions, do each of the IRDs I mentioned use (see) the same satellites? what positions do i need to see? This dish setup is over my dad's so I will go through with him what the signal levels are and respond back shortly.....

Thank you both for your help.... I just hate to see my dad had beautiful HD on all channels and how he doesnt, and I havent been able to figure it out. FYI... with the newer receiver i put in (HR20-700) I tried all sorts of differnet satellite setups to see if I could aquaire more HD channels and I was able to get some more HD with the Slimline-5 setup, but I only have a 3LNB on his dish, thats why I was thinking of getting the 5-LNB and swapping it out.

chuck

If you have a 3 lnb now, you don't need the 5 lnb. It gets signals from the 110 and 119 satellite in addition to 99, 101, and 103. Nothing comes from 110 now, and only some foreign language stations, music channels, and local sd channels come from 119. Your local sd channels must come from 99 or 103 then. What is your zip code? Also, it could be helpful to post all of your signal levels.

Chip - thanks about the 5LNB..... at my dads I have a slimline-3 dish and I did the signal strength with him just now and he is only seeing sat's 101, 110, and 119 and is on the 3-LNB setup with B-band converters installed. If I try changing the setup to the slimeline-3, it shows the 101, 99, and 103, but the 99 and 103 show with red "X" and they are not getting signals. I am still thinking it has to do with the receiver model. Is it possible that the older HR22-100 does not see the 99 and 103 sats?? whereas the newer HR20-700 does?

FYI.. the signal strengths he is getting are below:

1011-89487953791979298
9-169192954692989198
17-248898634492989498
25-329291909194989498
1-891
9-168893
17-24
25-32
1-8
9-16
17-249510096
25-3209696950969996

thanks for your help!

chuck

Ihe HR20 is not a newer receiver than the Hr22. Where did you get the HR20 from could it be defective?

I'm assuming this is a used receiver. Make sure someone wasn't using a customized favorites guide. You may want to do a complete reset of the receiver.

Chip - thanks about the 5LNB..... at my dads I have a slimline-3 dish and I did the signal strength with him just now and he is only seeing sat's 101, 110, and 119 and is on the 3-LNB setup with B-band converters installed. If I try changing the setup to the slimeline-3, it shows the 101, 99, and 103, but the 99 and 103 show with red "X" and they are not getting signals. I am still thinking it has to do with the receiver model. Is it possible that the older HR22-100 does not see the 99 and 103 sats?? whereas the newer HR20-700 does?

Okay, time to reset this conversation! You are now talking about your Dad's setup! Is that the one in your first post?

Chip- OK to reset....

here we go.

1) about 2 years ago, i set up the system for my dad using a HR22-100 IRD with a Slimeline-3 dish, everything worked great, he got all HD channels, no problems.

2) a few weeks ago he wanted to be able to see the extra local channels that DTV doesnt offer, but are available with OTA antenna, for example, some of the local affiates have 2, 3 and 4 extra channels, he likes the 24hr local weather offered on one of the channels (10-2), the problem was the HR22-100 IRD doesnt have an input for OTA antenna, but I had a HR20-700 that I had been using that does have OTA, and I was using successfully with sats 101, 99, and 103 and getting all the HDs I wanted, so I offered to swap IRDs....

3) So now I install my HR20-700 at his place and do a "re-authorization" and a "reset" of the IRD and I can not get my old HR20-700 IRD to see the HD sats, when we set up for the Slimline 3 dish setup , the 101 shows good and the 99 and 103 show red "X" bad, so I configure for standard 3-LNB so he can at least see all the channels, but not in HD.

and thats where I am. I dont know why I cant get the sats 101 and 99 to show up. I dont know if the receivers (HR20-700 vs HR22-100) see sats differently or what?

At my place I have a Slimline-5 SWM (FYI) and never had a problem with the same receiver (HR20-700) even at my old house (I moved about 6 months ago) and there used the HR20-700 with OTA and Slimline-5 Multiswitch (not SWM), anyway what I am saying is the HR20-700 I have used at 2 locations and I am not understanding why I can not get to work at his place. Again, he was previously using a HR22-100 with all the HDs coming in fine. I have just not figured out what the problem is.

maybe its the dish at my dads place? it says "Slimline" on the face and has 3 visible LNBs, but I dont understand because with his previous IRD (HR22-100) all the HDs worked....so I am just confused.

I hope that helps and I do truly appreciate the assistance.....

chuck

If you are using a 3 lnb, then you shouldn't be getting any signals on 110 or 119. Maybe you really have a 5 lnb. Try redoing the setup using the 5 lnb setting.

Chip- OK to reset....

here we go.

1) about 2 years ago, i set up the system for my dad using a HR22-100 IRD with a Slimeline-3 dish, everything worked great, he got all HD channels, no problems.

2) a few weeks ago he wanted to be able to see the extra local channels that DTV doesnt offer, but are available with OTA antenna, for example, some of the local affiates have 2, 3 and 4 extra channels, he likes the 24hr local weather offered on one of the channels (10-2), the problem was the HR22-100 IRD doesnt have an input for OTA antenna, but I had a HR20-700 that I had been using that does have OTA, and I was using successfully with sats 101, 99, and 103 and getting all the HDs I wanted, so I offered to swap IRDs....

3) So now I install my HR20-700 at his place and do a "re-authorization" and a "reset" of the IRD and I can not get my old HR20-700 IRD to see the HD sats, when we set up for the Slimline 3 dish setup , the 101 shows good and the 99 and 103 show red "X" bad, so I configure for standard 3-LNB so he can at least see all the channels, but not in HD.

and thats where I am. I dont know why I cant get the sats 101 and 99 to show up. I dont know if the receivers (HR20-700 vs HR22-100) see sats differently or what?

At my place I have a Slimline-5 SWM (FYI) and never had a problem with the same receiver (HR20-700) even at my old house (I moved about 6 months ago) and there used the HR20-700 with OTA and Slimline-5 Multiswitch (not SWM), anyway what I am saying is the HR20-700 I have used at 2 locations and I am not understanding why I can not get to work at his place. Again, he was previously using a HR22-100 with all the HDs coming in fine. I have just not figured out what the problem is.

maybe its the dish at my dads place? it says "Slimline" on the face and has 3 visible LNBs, but I dont understand because with his previous IRD (HR22-100) all the HDs worked....so I am just confused.

I hope that helps and I do truly appreciate the assistance.....

chuck
First the AM21 is the OTA tuner for the HR22 you would just connect the OTA and the HR22 to the AM21 so your swapping wasn't necessary. If the "slimline" at your fathers has 3 LNBs it is a Slimline 5 not a three so you need to change the setup to 5LNB with multiswitch.

You could swap the HR22 back and see if it still works on your fathers system or if you have somehow damaged his system, which is why the HR20 isn't working.

Hi Chip and boba...thanks for the replies....

Chip - I'm pretty sure I have the 3 LNB, if I see three white receipticals on the dish, I used this same dish setup sucessfully with the HR22-100, so I am still thinking its something with the receiver that is different.... thanks for the response....

boba - I am not familiar with the AM21, what is that? ( I guess I will google it now...) if that is something i can use, great! and thank you...

chuck

wambajamba said:
Hi Chip and boba...thanks for the replies....

Chip - I'm pretty sure I have the 3 LNB, if I see three white receipticals on the dish, I used this same dish setup sucessfully with the HR22-100, so I am still thinking its something with the receiver that is different.... thanks for the response....

boba - I am not familiar with the AM21, what is that? ( I guess I will google it now...) if that is something i can use, great! and thank you...

chuck

If you can visibly see 3 "eyes" that makes it a slimline 5. The center "eye" is picking up the 99,101, and 103. The other 2 you see is picking up the 110 and the 119. He was correct when saying it's a slimline 5

shows what I know!! lol.....thanks for all the info... I will try setting up as slimline-5 and see what happens! sounds good! and I also looked up the AM21 and that is an option too... thanks again......

chuck

OK - I confirmed that it is indeed a Slimline-5 dish, so we re-ran the sat setup for the Slimline-5, with the other options as switch type:multiswitch, and the tuners:dual. After the setup and before executing (continue), there is a screen that comes up that shows the new dish's and it is showing the following:

odd (13v)Xcheckxnothingcheck
even (18v)xcheckxcheckcheck

there is also a message "errors reported on both tuners"

However after continuing the setup, I can go to FNC 360 and it is in 720P (HD)

so I am not sure what is going on or why I am getting the red x's....

thanks for any comments or help....

chuck

The red X's mean that the dish normally needs realigned. We just ha a duscussion about them in another thread. Scroll through the forums and you should be able to find them. I'm on my phone and have no way of making a link. Sorry!

OK - I confirmed that it is indeed a Slimline-5 dish, so we re-ran the sat setup for the Slimline-5, with the other options as switch type:multiswitch, and the tuners:dual. After the setup and before executing (continue), there is a screen that comes up that shows the new dish's and it is showing the following:

odd (13v)Xcheckxnothingcheck
even (18v)xcheckxcheckcheck

there is also a message "errors reported on both tuners"

However after continuing the setup, I can go to FNC 360 and it is in 720P (HD)

so I am not sure what is going on or why I am getting the red x's....

thanks for any comments or help....

chuck

The signal strengths for the 99 and 103 satellites should be telling. Please post those. Like Hutch1814 said, the x's generally mean the numbers are low enough on that satellite to require a realignment, although you may be getting all of the channels anyway. Are there channels you aren't getting?

Thanks Hutch ..... I understand the thought of re-aligning, but just doesnt make sense to me. I had a working HR22 IRD with all my sats coming in good, and I swapped to a HR20 IRD without touching the dish and I am having this problem, so while I understand the direction to re-align, it doesn't make sense.. I am still thinking there may be something wrong with my HR20 IRD....is there something with changing the IRD that would cause me to have to realign? do the IRDs 'see' the dish's differently?

thanks for your help

chuck

OK.. I can give the detailed postings, but in general on the 99 I am getting all 85+ and on the 103 mostly 95+ with a few in the 40's

and even with the rex X, I can still get HD on 360 for example.... so just not sure what is going on..... and why the error message....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)