Changed TV's-Reciever Locks up

bulldawg901

Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Greenville, SC
I'll try to explain this as best as possible. We have a 36" Sony Vega (Wega-whatever) that used to be hooked up to our Dish network DVR via rca cables in the down stairs den. We recently purchased a new TV for the Den, so I moved the Sony upstairs to the bonus room.

My bonus room and office are hooked up via a non-DVR dish reciever (slim black-not sure of model number). Office is TV 1 and bonus room is TV 2. TV1 ch. 3 and TV 2 (cable ch. 73). keep in mind that everything was working fine before I did the following.

I moved the Sony TV to the bonus room (TV2) and reprogrammed the channels set on cable to Ch. 73. Unplugged the coax. cable from old TV2 (working) and plugged it into the Sony....the screen went to the Dish network default screen (transponder, satelitte, etc. ) the only problem is it never advances and meanwhile the screen is scanning (horizontal bars scrolling up the screen). I was confused, so I went to the office TV1 and its screen was also hung up on that screen. And the reciever was making a buzzing noise that corresponded to the horizontal scrolling bars.

Keep in mind, all I have done is changed TV's. I go back upstairs and switch the coax. back to the old TV2 and instantly everything starts working.

Here's where it really gets confusing. I assumed that maybe there was something wrong with the cable connector on the sony. So I moved the reciever box and all wires up to the bonus room and make that TV 1 and switch the office to TV2, and reprogram all channels accordingly. Once I plugged in the the rca cables to TV1 (upstairs) everything seemed ok--until i walked back downstairs and plugged the coax into the TV2 (office). then that tv started scanning and was hung on the setup screen again.

This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the reciever set up.

Everything is now back to original form. Office TV1 and Bonus room TV2.
I was messing with it today and when I unplugged the coax. from the sony I noticed that if I barely touch the copper wire and one side of the connector--EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM.......WTF. If I try to screw the coax. cable into the back of the sony fully it all screws up as described above. Literally the coax cable must be hangin from the connector.

I know this is a long post---but Could anybody please help me decipher this issue. Thanks in advance.

sound like bad tv with ground loop issue feeding back to other tv, as soon as you complete ground circuit by screwing connector to sony tv barrel, you cause problem... try teflon tape around tv threads to insulate also check electric outlet with tester

Thanks

Thanks!! The Teflon tape worked like a charm.

Should I consider this a permanent fix or should I try to track down where this ground loop issue is from?

Do they make a product that would remove this interference?

Again, Thanks for the help.

Get an electrical plug tester (the plug-in kind with the multiple lights on it) and check your outlets in both rooms. Something's not Kosher here. Sounds like possible hot/neutral reversal or open neutral. (and shock hazard). Do any of your lights wink or dim when turning on other appliances?

When I print something in my office using the laser printer, I will get the dimming of the lights. But that is the only equipment and room in the entire house that i see that effect, I just assumed that is was because it used more power:confused:. But I am not the smartest when it comes to electricity.

Just so I'm clear, do we think the grounding issue is coming from the coax. or the outlet?

and why would this phenomenon vary depending on which tv i use?

check all power outlets with simple tester from store

this enough voltage to cause problen then this enough voltage to research

try measure voltage across connector nut and tv barrel threads using voltmeter to see what kind of voltage present

try connect with no teflon tape and remove any satellite cable ground wire outside and see if normal

try same connect with sat ground wire intact but disconnect tv2 wire then see if normal

also try connect everything normal but unplug sony tv power while coax to sony still connected

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts