Changing alignment colors in the Fortec setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
This question pertains to a Fortec Classic NA:
Does anyone know of a way to change the colors of the Quality and No Quality bar in the antenna setup section? This may sound petty, but I have a really hard time telling the difference when I'm more than 10 feet away. Red and Green would have been better choices than Orange/Red and Yellow.
I would like to use a small portable black and white set to align with, but the background colors merge with the foreground and you can't see anything.
I wish that Fortec would have spent more time thinking about this, and less time thinking about programming Tetris, Sokoban, and Snake into the receiver.

Thanks.

123tim said:
I wish that Fortec would have spent more time thinking about this, and less time thinking about programming Tetris, Sokoban, and Snake into the receiver.
Tetris, Sokoban AND Snake all in one receiver? :D :D :D How come things like this never make the specifications page? I was 90% decided on the NA but I was still considering a Pansat... but now the choice is an easy one.

That's didn't answer your question, I know but it made my day... Those are the wife's 3 favorite games. :devil:

Katrinasucks,

Glad to help with the decision :) The games have graphics that look like they came from 1986. However there is quite a bit of the manual dedicated to the explanation of the game operation Vs. setting up the receiver for the first time, so that sort of offsets the lack of graphics quality.

I don't think that there's an answer to my question anyway. :) A small portable color TV would probably be my best bet.

I love the NA. I hate the NA manual.

Hard way around approach. Assuming you only want to change the colors while you are dealing with the alignment so that you can see it better. What kind of connection are you using from the receiver to the TV? If you are using a component or s-video input you could pull 1 wire from the input to your tv and that would shift the color spectrum such that you may be able to decern the red/green better. For that matter you could also go into into the color controls for you tv set and put the red or green all the way to one end and thus alter the color.

Trying to think out of the box, hope it helps.

Zepol_Wube,

I appreciate your ideas. The only trouble is that the Fortec colors are a Reddish orange for "No Quality" and a Yellow for "Quality". For some reason when the bar is small I think that the red looks like the yellow (from a distance). My TV is pretty bulky and it's difficult to keep moving it around to different sites, so it seems like I'm always far away from it. I look pretty ridiculous lugging a full size TV around the yard in the near darkness.
The S-Video idea sounds like an excellent one, except that my TV doesn't have it.
When I adjusted the colors they seemed to be so close together that it equally changed both.
Red and Green are the colors that I would like to have. :)

Thanks for thinking outside of the box. That seems to be where I'm at most of the time. :)

Last edited:
Got to thinking as I was writing. I realized that my biggest problem is that I'm stupid. I never actually had a quality signal when I was trying the BW set. I ran over and tried it, now that I do. You can't see the "No Quality" bar at all, but when you finally get a quality signal, the "Quality" bar shows up fine. Sorry to waste everyones bandwidth. :)

Last edited:
123tim said:
This question pertains to a Fortec Classic NA:
Does anyone know of a way to change the colors of the Quality and No Quality bar in the antenna setup section? This may sound petty, but I have a really hard time telling the difference when I'm more than 10 feet away. Red and Green would have been better choices than Orange/Red and Yellow.
I would like to use a small portable black and white set to align with, but the background colors merge with the foreground and you can't see anything.
Thanks.

Tim if this is still an issue there is an easy and effective fix. Got to the Config menu and then go down to OSD Settings. The first setting is color scheme. There are only 3 schemes but it is exactly what you were looking for.

Sorry for slow reply, I just got my NA hoooked up.

Changing the color scheme does NOT effect the color of the signal quality meter bar enough to differentiate between signal strength and quality on a black and white TV which was the OP's question.

But I agree its the one thing I do not like about the Classic NA. I would MUCH rather have the two signal meters :(

Last edited:
Katrinasucks said:
Got to the Config menu and then go down to OSD Settings. The first setting is color scheme.
Sorry for slow reply, I just got my NA hoooked up.
Katrinasucks,

Thanks for remembering that I was having a problem with this. I had tried this a couple of weeks ago, and like PSB said, it really doesn't work on a B&W set. I had hoped that it would.

I noticed that you had had some luck with bar colors in your other post today - I had already replied to it before I saw this.

I really appreciate you (and all members) who do things like this. It takes some work to remember other peoples problems, and to dig up their old post to help them out. I think that this is (along with excellent moderation) is what sets this forum apart from other less successful forums.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts