Changing appearance of the Hopper?

scgt1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Arlington, TX
I just had Dish installed about 45 minutes ago. While he was going through screens doing things I noticed a light colored screen with several customizing options like font size etc. I can't for the life of me find that screen. I assumed it would have been under the Settings or I would have asked him when he was here. I got on chat but that lady didn't get a clue and told me that isn't adjustable on the hopper yet I saw it with my own eyes and so did my fiance. So we aren't loosing it and the customization of the appearance of the guide etc is in the hopper somewhere........

The only changing of color and font size that rings a bell for me is the Closed Caption options.

Or maybe Dish downloaded and is downloading part of the software for the coming UI change. Considering this is a HUGE change and may require large amounts of data, Dish could be pre-installing much like Windows has done with Windows 10: software downloads in preparation for the full install to occur later and after Beta Testers have had a go at it. Just an IHMO.

The only changing of color and font size that rings a bell for me is the Closed Caption options.

That may have been it. I was just walking through while doing things and my fiance was kinda doing stuff on her phone but we both noticed it briefly. We have a 65" and the guide just takes up too much dang space. 3/4 of the screen. The small window that is playing what ever channel you have on is considerably smaller then it was on DirecTV. Guess we have some things to get used to.

Funny thing about that new UI. I asked the tech if he knew when it was coming out. He looked at me like I was crazy. Had to pull it up on my computer and show him. LOL He knew nothing about it. I like the new one a ton better then the one it currently has.

Some techs... Awesome... Some techs are either clueless or just punch in and punch out. Although excited about the new UI release, I would rather them make sure as many bugs are worked out as possible.

Yes I would rather them iron out any problems first also. A nice properly functioned and flowing UI is ideal.

Well this one has been installing for a year but was very thorough. Changed out all the cables. I had to chuckle with his thoroughness because he asked if we minded if he parked in our driveway. We said sure. He backed in and got out. Then opened the back and pulled his cones out and placed them off to the sides of the front bumper. LOL In our driveway. I don't think anyone is going to drive by the truck in our driveway. If they did they would be driving through our grass and they would have a problem on their hands lol.

I actually think the picture looks crisper over DirecTV. You can actually notice the 4K upscaling of our living room tv more now. I fell asleep on my daughters bed last night going through channel locks. Wish I knew what half these channels are. It's tedious looking up channels online to see what kind of content they have. Directv had descriptions of their channels at one point and time. I can't find jack like that on dish.com or mydish.com. Which leaves me with google. Kinda disappointed about that fact. Of course I was really tired by the time I got around to messing with their box.

Went to bed at 2am the night before and got up at 6am and was blowing and going all day not to mention since he was replacing the cables I was pulling the old ones out so contorting here and climbing there. Plus I live in DFW so it was right around 100 yesterday. I know he had to be hot since he was in the attic alot longer then I was LOL. I've been up there a time or two. So much so I go under the house now if I have to run something. Living in a 1953 house doesn't allow for easy access through walls since fire breaks are used everywhere. It's easier to drill up through the floor plate and climb around under the house where it's cool. LOL

It's a pain to get to the channels on mydish. Took forever to find where the list was. Upgrades/Programming/english tv packages then to my channel line up. From there you have to click each icon and half of them aren't even there so you don't know what your clicking on. When you do click on one a small box pops up that still doesn't tell you so you have to click the link that says details. That is a ton of unecessary crap to go through.

Looking at the channel lineup on satellite solutions. So much easier. Channel packages/view channels/click show description under each channel I need info about.
So much more simplistic. The location of what I'm looking for is smack dab on the top of the screen. You have to hunt for it on MyDish just to find the channel lineup.

scgt1,
My house was built in 1950. 3 fire breaks on each 8 foot wall. But in my attic there is a hole every 16" straight down thru the fire breaks allowing for new cables to be ran. Just a little info.

As far as I know we the new UI is a long way from being released. Also some of the items mentioned I don't believe are in the new software.

I don't like how Dish is just like DirecTV in the respect the DVR can't distinguish between what is a new air and what isn't. Went through setting up a bunch of our shows today and several showed the yellow X on them indicating that episode wasn't going to record even though it was a new episode. So had to restore the recording. PITA to have to monitor your recordings. I was hoping Dish did a better job at this. Apparently not.

I don't like how Dish is just like DirecTV in the respect the DVR can't distinguish between what is a new air and what isn't. Went through setting up a bunch of our shows today and several showed the yellow X on them indicating that episode wasn't going to record even though it was a new episode. So had to restore the recording. PITA to have to monitor your recordings. I was hoping Dish did a better job at this. Apparently not.
They get their info from the same source(Tribune Media which I am told goes by a different name now).

The Hopper is not fully operable out of the box. It takes a few days to get all the software going along with getting the guide right. It's just a fact of life. :)

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
The Hopper is not fully operable out of the box. It takes a few days to get all the software going along with getting the guide right. It's just a fact of life. :)
OP, please heed the advice.

While he was going through screens doing things I noticed a light colored screen with several customizing options like font size etc. I can't for the life of me find that screen.
Take a picture of the guide - just the regular part - and post it.

By the way, you're the 2nd person who has indicated a different appearance in the past couple of days.

I have a feeling the OP may be referring to the 922-ish look of the initial factory installed software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)