Changing Out Eastern and Western LNB's?

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
In my neighborhood (RV resort) it appears that some of the dishes have Eastern and some Western LNB's. I want to be able to take my Hopper 3 with me from the house to use on trips in my motorhome. I will have a tripod setup where I can change to what LNB I need for the area I am in. My locals (Mobile, Alabama) has locals on both.

Are there any settings in the Hopper 3 that has to be changed when I change to different LNB's? Also is either one of the LNB's preferred over the other one?

In my neighborhood (RV resort) it appears that some of the dishes have Eastern and some Western LNB's. I want to be able to take my Hopper 3 with me from the house to use on trips in my motorhome. I will have a tripod setup where I can change to what LNB I need for the area I am in. My locals (Mobile, Alabama) has locals on both.

Are there any settings in the Hopper 3 that has to be changed when I change to different LNB's? Also is either one of the LNB's preferred over the other one?

When changing dish configuration you have to do a switch test. Menu/Settings/Diagnostics/Dish/Test Installation.

Since the Mobile locals are on both arcs in HD, LNB selection is purely a matter of which has the better view of the satellites. If both arcs are fully in the clear, I normally go with whichever LNB is already mounted from the last stop, but you could also toss a coin... ;)

and, although your locals are on both arcs, they are both on spotbeams. That means that when you move your RV out of the spotbeam you will lose your Mobile local channels. You would need to call Dish and have tell them that your RV is now in a different DMA and have them change your locals to that DMA,

The reason I am asking about the circles is one of our favorite campgrounds is in one of the inner circles and not the other one. When we take trips to this campground in our RV we can still pick up our home locals. It would simplify things if I did not have to change the LNB. Now if the installer will give me a choice of Eastern or Western I don't know.

The reason I am asking about the circles is one of our favorite campgrounds is in one of the inner circles and not the other one. When we take trips to this campground in our RV we can still pick up our home locals. It would simplify things if I did not have to change the LNB. Now if the installer will give me a choice of Eastern or Western I don't know.

Maybe you can talk him into leaving you one of each. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dish has no problem with it, and has even suggested it at times for RV's, summer homes, etc. They normally have no reason to care where the receiver is used, as long as the bill gets paid every month. The only thing I've heard about DTV is the difficulty in changing locals sometimes, especially since the AT&T takeover. That could be a problem for some folks...

If you are within the green circle you are pretty well assured of a good signal from that spotbeam. As you move toward the yellow, it gets a bit harder. Outside that yellow circle it it very hit and miss, probably more miss than hit.
Assuming the inner circle is green and the outer is yellow, because the shades chosen for those circles look the same to this color-blind individual.

FYI Purple/violet don't exist, just a conspiracy perpetrated by the color-normals on the color-blind. #TinFoilHat

Reactions: HipKat and NYDutch
Dish has no problem with it, and has even suggested it at times for RV's, summer homes, etc. They normally have no reason to care where the receiver is used, as long as the bill gets paid every month. The only thing I've heard about DTV is the difficulty in changing locals sometimes, especially since the AT&T takeover. That could be a problem for some folks...

Not only that but as you probably already know DirecTV has announced that they're doing away with all their MPEG2 SD channels and all installations will require the larger Slimline dish which is harder to mount and align especially for RVer's and campers.

Not only that but as you probably already know DirecTV has announced that they're doing away with all their MPEG2 SD channels and all installations will require the larger Slimline dish which is harder to mount and align especially for RVer's and campers.
DTV is doing a really good job of making themselves less desirable and less customer friendly. Good job AT&T. Nothing like taking one of the biggest providers of Television viewing and running it into the ground!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts