Changing packages

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Been looking to make some changes to my channels to lower my bill and in the process, I just get confused so it is easier to ask.

Online, I am seeing smart pack and dish america. On the sheets I printed, I see America silver and gold, how does one get one of those packages?

The bigger question is, can I do the smart pack and Dish America or is it one or the other. Doing the two together gets me most of the channels I seek. Or, is the cost of the smart pack such that I am better off with the 200 plan instead?

Then, I also see 120 and 120+ but I dont see 120+ listed on my sheets, what does the extra 5$ get me?

Lastly, I used to have what was called the blockbuster movie pack and now it is just Dish movie pack, I assume this is just a re-branding and just includes the channels like epix and palladia?

Hello. You only able to get one Core package at a time; therefore, you can only be subscribe to the Smart Pack or DISH America package. You can also subscribe the DISH America Silver and DISH America Gold as well. Choosing your package depends on what channels you like the most.

The America's Top 200 is one the most popular and suits most customers wants. Also, the difference from America's Top 120 and America's Top 120+ is the Regional Sports Network which varies on your region.

The DISH Movie Pack was just re-named and still includes the same channels as before.

OK makes sense. After posting I realized smart pack was listed above dish America and likely not combinable.

Thanks

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The America packages are only available to current customers and you have to call for them or work through DIRT. They are no longer publicly available.

They also aren't as appealing as they used to be. Being "stagnant" packages, new channels are no longer added to them, if I'm not mistaken. A channel like AMC isn't available in any of the three tiers of it either because there was a dispute not long after they were phased out so when it was settled, Dish didn't put the channel(s) back in them.

Look at the Latino packages too. You get all of the normal channels with the addition of Spanish language ones. They seem to be a few dollars cheaper than the equivalent AT packages too.

They also aren't as appealing as they used to be. Being "stagnant" packages, new channels are no longer added to them, if I'm not mistaken.
You speak as if DISH has made many significant channel additions. That may be important going forward but it hasn't been an issue of late.

For me, the removals (I'm thinking primarily MAV TV) are a much bigger issue and they affect all packages that the channel was in.

Reactions: papachops
I currently have AT 250, Hopper w/sling, Hopper and a Joey and want to significantly reduce my bill. Will I be able to reduce to the Welcome Pack? Will I still get my locals if I do this? I would also return one of the Hoppers.

I currently have AT 250, Hopper w/sling, Hopper and a Joey and want to significantly reduce my bill. Will I be able to reduce to the Welcome Pack? Will I still get my locals if I do this? I would also return one of the Hoppers.
You should be able to do it but best to check with DISH. You are probably under a 2yr. contract so be sure there are no restrictions.

How long have you had the newest Hopper? If you got it for free, you also are under contract as part of the "free" promotion and at least for new customers - presume similar requirements apply here - you have to maintain a package level and Welcome may not be enough.

If you are under the Dish Price Lock, You can't go below the 120+ package either.
That's what I was thinking would apply to all customers after they get "free" equipment via an upgrade. Then again, I am past one year but not beyond two years after getting a Hopper w/Sling (for free) and through "My Programming", I can drop as low as Smart Pack. There's no Welcome Pack listed for me, presumably because I don't qualify.

That's what I was thinking would apply to all customers after they get "free" equipment via an upgrade. Then again, I am past one year but not beyond two years after getting a Hopper w/Sling (for free) and through "My Programming", I can drop as low as Smart Pack. There's no Welcome Pack listed for me, presumably because I don't qualify.
You have to ask for Welcome Pack. I'm out of contract and it isn't listed under "my programming".

Maybe a little misunderstanding from what I am reading. There is no requirement that anyone keep a certain package, that includes if you have a contract, got an upgrade, a price lock, whatever the case. You are always free to downgrade. What you won't get is whatever discount you were getting or guaranteed price.
Also as posted so many times ALL English and some other core packages, meaning any package that qualifies you as a customer includes the locals in HD. At this time the Welcome package package and higher.

Reactions: Troch77
Yes ,you absolutely can drop down to what ever package you want.
I should have been more clear when Under the Price lock.

You will no longer get the Free DVR service for 2 years, or if the Base package increases you won't be exempt from the increase, Unless you stay with the 120 plus or Higher.
And it might not always be cost effective to drop down, when in the case of the price lock, you would be adding a $12 fee.

Reactions: Tampa8
True, it pays to take time and see what discounts or price protection you may be giving up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)