Changing Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jasper Iverson

Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
When trying to replace a storm damaged DirevTv receiver (smelled like plastic burning) but still working, I picked up a used receiver (same make newer model) it powers up fine but says insert new card, I called DirecTv's support line and was told that I would have to buy a new card for $20.00... I'm going to be charged because my box smoked, there has to be a non hacking legitimate way to do this without spending $20.00
Thanks
JJ

No dice.

DirecTV has a equipment replacement program that covers your box during the original warranty peroid. Otherwise, you must have the equipment replacement option on your monthly bill, which I think, is $6 month.

Your only recourse may be exchanging the card, IF the receiver you purchased came with a card. Since it says "Insert Card" I would suspect that you don't have a card with it. Your old card will not work because it is "married" to your non working box.

$20 is DTV's policy. No way around it, unless, you can get a nice CSR and offer to exchange your current card for the new card.

Jasper Iverson said:
When trying to replace a storm damaged DirevTv receiver (smelled like plastic burning) but still working, I picked up a used receiver (same make newer model) it powers up fine but says insert new card, I called DirecTv's support line and was told that I would have to buy a new card for $20.00... I'm going to be charged because my box smoked, there has to be a non hacking legitimate way to do this without spending $20.00
Thanks
JJ
If you bought a new receiver it would have come with a new card. New replacement receivers can usually be found starting at $50. :) :) :) Thanks to CC & BB TiVos can be had for $50-100 pretty much anywhere.

I recently bought a new receiver, and called it in and the tech support guy just switched my existing card over for free. I told him I had a new card, but he just said it was easier this way....

I have a Genie and 4 wired minis in my house. The Genie is connected via my wi-fi and too often, when I get home from work, it says it's been disconnected. This often times causes me to have to reboot it and all the minis since they can't find the signal. I thought maybe the solution is to have the minis replaced with just the standard HD box. Due to streaming, I'm rarely recording shows/movies these days so having the whole home service isn't appealing as it once was. Should I be able to do these exchanges? Would this extend my agreement? Basically, I'd prefer to have all my systems hard wired via coaxial and without relying on a wi-fi connection.

I have a Genie and 4 wired minis in my house. The Genie is connected via my wi-fi and too often, when I get home from work, it says it's been disconnected. This often times causes me to have to reboot it and all the minis since they can't find the signal. I thought maybe the solution is to have the minis replaced with just the standard HD box. Due to streaming, I'm rarely recording shows/movies these days so having the whole home service isn't appealing as it once was. Should I be able to do these exchanges? Would this extend my agreement? Basically, I'd prefer to have all my systems hard wired via coaxial and without relying on a wi-fi connection.

Nope, once installed that is your system unless you are willing to spend money to upgrade. Personally I have NO interest in the Genie Clients for several reasons, you still pay the same lease fee per month, and if your Genie box goes down you have NO service. I have more reasons, but suffice it to say I prefer having standalone boxes at each TV.

John

You can always get your new recvrs, call to activate them and turn off the minis and return them.

I called last night got a very helpful rep who has scheduled a tech to come out next week to bring me 2 HD boxes (first one was free) and to pick up my minis. I won't miss those at all. They could have shipped the HD boxes, but my local DTV service area usually always brings new equipment so I went that route. Is the H-25 the newest HD box?

I called last night got a very helpful rep who has scheduled a tech to come out next week to bring me 2 HD boxes (first one was free) and to pick up my minis. I won't miss those at all. They could have shipped the HD boxes, but my local DTV service area usually always brings new equipment so I went that route. Is the H-25 the newest HD box?
Yes but that doesn't mean that is what the tech has on his van. It probably is. But there are no guarantees.

averagejoe78, just so you know, this will extend your commitment, but you can't remove the whole home fee as long as you have a Genie.

Yeah, I know. I've been with DTV for 8 years now. Aside from Dish, the only other option here is Time Warner Cable's pathetic tv service. So I have no intention of leaving. :) I noticed the rep also had waived the 2nd $99 charge on my HD box. Gotta love that. DTV has treated me very well over the years with various discounts and I've always had terrific customer service.

I like the Genie, I just hate the mini clients. So once the tech arrives, I'll have the Genie, HR-24 DVR, and 2 HD boxes. That's the setup I prefer.

Reactions: Jimbo
The 25 has an external power supply, and you need a dongle for component output, IIRC. It's smaller, too, so it can often be placed behind a wall mounted tv.

My tech arrived last Saturday with 2 brand new H-25 boxes. Very happy that I'm genie mini free. Love the smaller size of the H-25 as well. My local DTV installers are very solid and always bring me new equipment. Best of all, I got both for free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)