Changing "Service Address" problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobinraymoremo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Raymore MO
Note: I searched on 'service address' and did not get any recent threads that matched my particular problem.

For background purposes we started living fulltime in our RV in 2009 and traveling the country. We requested a waiver for Distant Network Services (DNS that includes ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, PBS) and received it so we now get channels 389-399 for both east coast and west coast feeds. Every once in a while if we were going to be in a place longer than a month we changed our 'service address' to our new location and got the local channels, especially for local weather.

We are now going to be in the Kansas City area for a few months so I called recently. The third phone call got me to a higher level customer service rep and I was told that as of January 1st if we change our 'service address' we are going to have to resubmit for our DNS waiver.

Can someone with more knowledge of DirecTV advise us, we don't want to lose DNS but we would like to have things the way they were on December 31st.

If it were me, I would get a few local stations for news and weather with an antenna and not involve D* or the DNS service. I have read that now DNS service is either Los Angeles or New York, based on your home address time zone, but not both. The OP is probably grandfathered in to receiving both east and west coast feeds. Almost all RVs are equipped with a rooftop antenna unless it was removed at the time of the dish installation. Near a big city like Kansas City, probably even a small indoor antenna attached to a TV with a digital tuner would pull in a few of the major local news outlets.

Reactions: Jimbo
If your DNS waiver was originally based on your location, then technically speaking you might lose it if you move to an area that has locals. But it's a very gray area. If you got DNS before all the rules about DNS came in, then you should be grandfathered but again its a very gray area. I've never seen any of this written down. Is this a regular account with an added DNS waiver or do you have an RV account?

I will attempt to answer some questions in no particular order. We got the DirecTV service in 2009 and it was for the RV only, we did not have a residential account. When I talked to the customer service rep she kept referring to our account as a mobile account. We did the DNS waiver based on no sticks and bricks and only RV traveling the country.

Our RV at the time we got the DNS was located at the service address that we want to switch back to.

We use the roof mounted TV antenna occasionally when we don't want to call up DirecTV and switch service addresses each time we move. We only do that if we are going to be in an area for an extended time.

The main reason we want to switch our service address now is that Fox Sports is not spot beamed and we can get local sports info from our old home town even if we are not in the area.

I'm going to be real cautious because I don't want to lose the DNS service which we rely upon multiple times a day for recording network shows.

I think you are making a mistake to make changes based on being somewhere for a few months and what sounds like for really one channel unless you are prepared if it comes to it to have one set of Distants and the need to go through the process again.

I will attempt to answer some questions in no particular order. We got the DirecTV service in 2009 and it was for the RV only, we did not have a residential account. When I talked to the customer service rep she kept referring to our account as a mobile account. We did the DNS waiver based on no sticks and bricks and only RV traveling the country.

Our RV at the time we got the DNS was located at the service address that we want to switch back to.

We use the roof mounted TV antenna occasionally when we don't want to call up DirecTV and switch service addresses each time we move. We only do that if we are going to be in an area for an extended time.

The main reason we want to switch our service address now is that Fox Sports is not spot beamed and we can get local sports info from our old home town even if we are not in the area.

I'm going to be real cautious because I don't want to lose the DNS service which we rely upon multiple times a day for recording network shows.
I think I would just use the antenna when you need the local where you are and not chance any issues with your D* DNS status ...
If you have been grandfathered and have BOTH East and West, you are doing much better than most ... typically its one or the other. (why I don't know, seeing if your traveling your likely gonna be on both sides of the country)
Also, its also typical for someone to be grandfathered and if you change your package, you would lose the Grandfathered status.

I have had success and I guess the old adage that it depends on who you talk to. The 2nd tier rep I got on my recent call was very knowledgeable, apparently the rep I talked to before thought I had a different type of account. When I explained RV only I was able to change service address just like I have been able to do for 9 years now.

Reactions: raoul5788 and Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts