Channel 13 (PBS) in NYC is suddenly available in HD from my OTA

How many of you can receive Ch 13 (PBS) in HD in NYC?

• I can receive continuous good pix with a signal strength over 65

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I can receive continuous good pix with a signal strength over 60

• I can receive it only intermittently

• I have no signal at all

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Martin586

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
I was forced recently to swap my 811 for 211. The first box was defective and I was mailed a replacement box. The HD locals are pretty much the same quality as the OTA HD signal (I'm getting an 84 or higher signal on the "big three" via my OTA)

Recently I was amazed to be able to lock in to a nice HD broadcast on ch 13 (PBS) in NYC. I live in Queens and have a clear view of Empire State Bldg, but I understand that PBS signal originates in NJ and has been inaccessible to users in Queens and most of NYC. The signal strength I get is only 60 - but the signal locks in (most of the time) and the picture looks great. I also am getting 2 extra PBS channels - 13-02 and 13-03 in addition to 13-01 HD channel. Anyone else?

Was wondering if there is any way to amplify the signal without moving the antenna (I may gain on channel 13, but probably will lose CBS). Would an external amplifier help? A different antenna from the one I have? (a small HD elliptical antenna on top of the dish that came with Voom).

Martin in Rego Park, Queens

Atlanta HD Locals have NBC and downmap correctly on 622

lost satellites on 1 of 2 811's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)